Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 02:22 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,237,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
This is exactly what I was going to say. When I first moved to the Midwest many years ago, I came from Miami. People just couldn't believe I had made that move. It was a combo of not realizing what a great place they live in, and an overinflated sense of what FL is like (because they had never been there and believed the hype, or had only been there on vacation!)
What he said.....

My wifes sister and her husband moved to MN from Sarasota, FL last year. Many of our neighbors thought they were crazy to make such a move. They are both now making more money and enjoying life in MN, even the winter.

I used to dream of moving to FL and didn't really appreciate how nice MN is until I actually moved to a couple other states including FL. I am now happy to be back in MN and have no desire to ever move back to the south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 08:07 AM

19 posts, read 40,801 times
I simply use the famous Richard Gear line, from officer and a gentleman:
"I got nowhere to go.." People laugh, try to figure out if i am serious. and they leave me alone..

Old 05-24-2010, 08:56 AM

19 posts, read 40,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyoma02 View Post
I grew up here. I left for college and came back. Then I left for Colorado and came back. Now I want to leave again.

Something about Minneapolis keeps drawing me back. It’s like, when I’m gone I miss it. When I’m here, I despise it.

I don’t know why every one in the midwest thinks this place is so great. Bad traffic, cold winters, humid summers, high property taxes, a mediocre mass transit system, etc…

If I didn’t have a stable job here, I’d be long gone!
First off, a stable job seems to be a commodity now. That being said, I lost my job in CA and just found one suitable for me here after spending 3 months in Iowa.
The perception from afar seem to be, that family values and family life here are better, may be because the winter is so harsh so you need company, nothing like good family to be around, if you have one. Cali is nice and warm, but hostile and resenting in many ways. We pay high taxes and do not get too much back, the school system is falling apart, as does the court system. Traffic is hell, home prices are out of control (up & down). Nevada has 13% unemployment, more like 19% in reality. Do not know about the south, never been. Vegas is HOT for 3 month, and everyone seems to be from somewhere else, same for AZ. Let me know once you find Nirvana in perfectville..
Oh wait! Jamaica is the best as long as you do no leave your resort
Kapish?!

Old 05-24-2010, 11:09 AM

138 posts, read 370,742 times
I always thought Minnesota was horrible. I only stay here to be close to family. But after travelling to CA and FL, I changed my mind. Yes it's warm, but missing so many qualities of MN. And... homes, taxes etc. were so much higer. (I still hate it here though) I plan to make my escape after my parents pass away.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:27 AM

865 posts, read 2,502,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert98 View Post
I always thought Minnesota was horrible. I only stay here to be close to family. But after travelling to CA and FL, I changed my mind. Yes it's warm, but missing so many qualities of MN. And... homes, taxes etc. were so much higer. (I still hate it here though) I plan to make my escape after my parents pass away.
After admitting that homes, taxes, etc were higher in CA and FL, and that those places were missing so many of the good qualities of MN, I have to wonder why you still hate MN? What will it take to make you happy?

Just curious, as I'd love to be in MN and the only thing keeping me in Portland is family.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:14 PM

97 posts, read 185,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuppa12 View Post
Since I have lived in the Minneapolis area (6 months or so) I have noticed that a lot of people have asked where I went to high school and when I say I'm not from here they are caught off guard. They always ask why I moved here. I never had a great reason for moving here, just a change. I have been asked this in minneapolis and in the burbs. Has anyone else had this happen to them?
I've heard about this high school/grade school social stuff--is everyone who lives in Minneapolis from there? I'm a native Midwesterner but have lived in NYC for 13 years and considering a move to MSP (see my other thread on this).

Old 05-24-2010, 04:33 PM

15 posts, read 32,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water 4 the Pool View Post
I've heard about this high school/grade school social stuff--is everyone who lives in Minneapolis from there? I'm a native Midwesterner but have lived in NYC for 13 years and considering a move to MSP (see my other thread on this).
Most people here are from here.

Why? It's too nice to leave, and those who do they usually come back.

Plus the misconception of the cold scares away most people from wanting to come here. So yes, many people stay. That's not such a bad thing either, we could be transient like Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Phoenix or Denver.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:11 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,745,882 times
About half of Minneapolis residents are from other states or countries (and presumably many more from other places in the state), so obviously there are a lot of people who aren't from the area. It is a "high magnet, low sticky" state so there are a lot of people who are from here originally, but there are also a lot of people who aren't.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:29 PM

19 posts, read 31,547 times
^I think you mean "high sticky, low magnet".

Old 05-24-2010, 09:19 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,745,882 times
Oops, good catch -- high sticky, low magnet!

Magnet or Sticky? - Pew Social & Demographic Trends
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul