Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 01:50 PM

3 posts, read 11,296 times

Advertisements

Hi. We will be moving to Mendota Heights in two months and am getting ready to cancel/start subscriptions/services. Begs the question: which newspaper and why? I'll try them both, but curious how y'all rate things like

1. local news
2. national/international news
3. content/number of pages (daily/Sunday)
4. left/right leanings
5. sports coverage
6. price
7. customer service
8. miscellaneous (recent cuts? future? funnies?)

Thanks and cheers, have a great weekend!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 02:25 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,369,864 times
If you want to stick to the most relevant paper, go with the Pioneer Press. Mendota Heights is a suburb of St. Paul and the Pioneer Press is St. Paul's paper. It's also cheaper.

Overall I like the Star Tribune more but both papers are pretty similar.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:37 PM

35 posts, read 183,092 times
Here's my opinion:

1. local news: about the same amount: Pioneer Press' focus is St. Paul; Star Tribune's is Mpls
2. national/international news: About the same - they both pick up AP wire stories.
3. content/number of pages (daily/Sunday): Again, about the same
4. left/right leanings: I feel the Pioneer Press leans right. Star Tribune is more centric
5. sports coverage: Pioneer Press has great prep sports coverage. I only look at prep sports so I don't know about national sports coverage.
6. price: Pioneer Press is cheaper by half
7. customer service: I subscribe to the Pioneer Press and have never had a billing or delivery issue. Have never needed to call them
8. miscellaneous (recent cuts? future? funnies?): Pioneer Press has hemorrhaged staff over the last few years and has changed ownership multiple times. Star Tribune just came out of bankruptcy. Mps-St. Paul is a very small market to have two large local papers. This is complete conjecture, I would expect that one will fold or they will merge within the next five years or so. It's a bit shocking that MN has been able to maintain two newspapers for as long as it has.

Two really trivial things:
The Star Tribune is much better about appropriate jump placement in their stories. They set their jumps so that if you don't want to finish a story, you don't need to. Pioneer Press will place jumps in the middle of a sentence.
The Star Tribune has a much better Web site. The Pioneer Press Web site, although its name is worth a million bucks (twincities.com), the site is slow to load, freezes often, and is loaded with intrusive adverts.

I like the Star Tribune better, but I subscribe to the Pioneer Press because it is the cheaper subscription and I can easily read "The Other Paper" online.

Also don't forget about the free online local news sources, TC Daily Planet, MinnPost, BringMeTheNews...there are a lot of them out there!

Old 06-04-2010, 07:05 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
I like the Trib better except for high school sports coverage. Customer service at the Trib is horrible and we no longer subscribe.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:16 PM

198 posts, read 483,359 times
Both papers were much better as few as five years ago before they had to dump half of their employees just to stay afloat. Now the Monday paper is about as thick as an envelope. I get the Pioneer Press, but I figure six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:29 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,268,846 times
I get the Pioneer Press, but basically because I'm a Saint Paul guy and that's what I;ve gotten my whole life.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:36 PM

383 posts, read 900,725 times
You can't go wrong with a newspaper that costs a quarter.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:09 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,062,282 times
Both randomly solicit by phone

But Star Tribune is better

Old 06-06-2010, 10:49 PM

383 posts, read 900,725 times
The Strib's centrist!? What the heck have you been reading!? The Strib is about as centrist as I am subdued and subtle. The Strib leans so far left, if it were a motorcycle rider, it would constantly be veering into oncoming traffic.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:42 PM

174 posts, read 470,237 times
Strib leans left center, I find the Pioneer Press to be much more right/center.

My vote- read both online instead of subscribing at all. Or, read online to figure out which you like better, then subscribe.

startribune dot com and twincities dot com (pioneer press)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul