Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 03:32 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Dayton has name recognition. If the election happened today, Emmer would be slaughtered. I’ll bet a good chunk of people polled never heard of “Emmer” or “Horner”. They voted based off of party lines or a name they could recognize. Even less people could not pick them out of a crowd. But when millions are spent by both parties, every voter will know of Emmer at the polls.

Of course Dayton could still win. The fact that Dayton is ahead is positively meaningless to me. There isn’t any doubt in my mind that things WILL tighten. I’m not saying who will win but it will be ugly negative politics as usual. The Drunk driver things will be highlighted and some Republican will let the state know that Mark is now fighting depression and battles with alcohol. It will turn into politics as usual and the race will tighten.

If TiPaw was running against a no name democrat I’d say the same thing. TimPaw’s lead would shrivel once the ads hit.
I doubt Dayton will not go after the DUI think like MAK did. Sure, a DUI is not a good thing (two is worse) but I don't know how much it will resonate with the public. I thought it was silly myself. There are other things to go after that make Emmer look much worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 04:02 PM

9,742 posts, read 11,163,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
I doubt Dayton will not go after the DUI think like MAK did. Sure, a DUI is not a good thing (two is worse) but I don't know how much it will resonate with the public. I thought it was silly myself. There are other things to go after that make Emmer look much worse.
Why would you assume that?? Did you see the WCCO reporting that showed where the smear ads $$'s came from?? It came from Dayton people (ex-wife and others).

What's interesting is both sides give 1/2 truths and they stick. They stick especially well on the guy whos politics you hate or I hate.

This is about winning an election at all costs. The ends justify the means when the stakes are high. Nothing surpises me anymore.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:07 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
Quote:
Why would you assume that?? Did you see the WCCO reporting that showed where the smear ads $$'s came from?? It came from Dayton people (ex-wife and others).

What's interesting is both sides give 1/2 truths and they stick. They stick especially well on the guy whos politics you hate or I hate.

This is about winning an election at all costs. The ends justify the means when the stakes are high. Nothing surpises me anymore.
This is why I hate politics.

Emmer is too far right. He'd be elected Governor of Mississippi or South Carolina, but (hopefully) not Minnesota. We don't need someone as far right as Emmer. I couldn't care less about his DWI history, or Dayton's depression.

Also, I don't like how social issues (abortion, etc.) are of such little importance to these candidates. It seems like both campaigns are being run exclusively on fiscal/economic issues. That's somewhat understandable due to the bad economy, but I don't like how both candidates seem to be ignoring social issues.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:

lol. I saw the commercial 3x tonight.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:18 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,373,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
This is why I hate politics.

Emmer is too far right. He'd be elected Governor of Mississippi or South Carolina, but (hopefully) not Minnesota. We don't need someone as far right as Emmer. I couldn't care less about his DWI history, or Dayton's depression.

Also, I don't like how social issues (abortion, etc.) are of such little importance to these candidates. It seems like both campaigns are being run exclusively on fiscal/economic issues. That's somewhat understandable due to the bad economy, but I don't like how both candidates seem to be ignoring social issues.
They are focusing on the issues that matter to people right now....I would consider that a good thing. People are worried about the financial state of Minnesota and making sure there are jobs available and that the education system is sufficiently supported. That stuff takes precedent to issues like abortion and gay marriage where it is highly doubtful anything will change anytime soon. Legalizing pot kind of fits into both categories and I kind of wish that was getting a stronger push....ah well.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:39 PM

336 posts, read 927,706 times
I am from Delano & have had interactions with Tom Emmer, he was a good & decent city councilman, but once he hit state politics he went WAY far right. You should read archives of the Delano paper to see the columns he wrote. I'm a moderate liberal I'd say, and Dayton is a bit too far left for me, but boy, I sure could not vote Emmer. It's a tough race to choose.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhl View Post
I am from Delano & have had interactions with Tom Emmer, he was a good & decent city councilman, but once he hit state politics he went WAY far right. You should read archives of the Delano paper to see the columns he wrote. I'm a moderate liberal I'd say, and Dayton is a bit too far left for me, but boy, I sure could not vote Emmer. It's a tough race to choose.

Emmer has the courage to say things that others think.

We supposedly have a budget problem in this state. Dayton’s solution to fill the $8,000,000,000 gap is by taxing the rich and spending even more on the education bureaucracy. Emmer wants to turn the system upside down and ask the question, “do we really need this government department and program”?? See http://www.emmerforgovernor.com/news/2010/07/video-why-im-running.html

The system is broke and there is finally a guy who is willing to take on the establishment. By definition, that “someone” will have a little baggage. Nationally, we are experimenting with spending without taxing in an attempt to get the economy rolling and rolling out more government programs. How is that working out for us??? Give it another year and see where it gets us. The guy in the White house is doing everything wrong that he possibly could.

Emmer cannot institute his vision of slashing government waste without the house and senate so if it offends you that he thinks only citizens should get college financial aid and free healthcare, rest assured logic may not prevail because we are governed by a majority.

TimPaw’s solution was to freeze things just the way they are. The real solution was to overhaul the system. Emmer isn’t a rich guy by any stretch so he isn’t out to line the pockets of the wealthy. At the same token he isn’t in favor of raiding someone else’s wallet so you and I don’t feel any pain. There isn’t any easy solution and more of the same WILL result in some bigger problems for the state.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Emmer has the courage to say things that others think.
Yeah, cuz we all think restaurant servers make way too much money.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhl View Post
@mmhl, I've had business dealings with many people from Delano. According to them, you are being very kind.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Yeah, cuz we all think restaurant servers make way too much money.
Politically, he put his foot in his mouth. By trying to explain himself, he put his leg in his mouth.

Here is reality. Restaurants have several hours during the day that they sit idle and lose money. When restaurants lose money (and many do) by definition, those employees make more than the owner. During peak times, the waiting staff can and do make $20-$100 an hour. I'm not talking about Floe from the TV show Alice, I'm talking about the hundreds or nice restaurants across the cities make very good part time wages.

Emmer was making a point when he was asked a question. What about that business owner who risked everything. Many are struggling. He has heard a real concern from small business owners who are forced to pay the minimum wage when the staff gets generous tips while the owner is trying to stay afloat.

The overwhelming amount of states don’t employ the minimum wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota