Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 12:45 PM

3 posts, read 5,456 times

Advertisements

I just got a arrest warrant issued for me in WI for a OWI(2nd) I didn't show up for my court date,,during all the time between the citation and the court date I moved to MN,,this was a planned thing and in the works prior to the OWI,,I have since been issued a MN lic.but Wis. still has my old address,,,having said all that,,my question is,,will Mn police be looking for me? I mean will they come to my home or job? this warrant is a misdemeanor,,I don't think Wis would extradite,,but Am I ok unless for some reason I get stopped here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 01:07 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeytom View Post
I just got a arrest warrant issued for me in WI for a OWI(2nd) I didn't show up for my court date,,during all the time between the citation and the court date I moved to MN,,this was a planned thing and in the works prior to the OWI,,I have since been issued a MN lic.but Wis. still has my old address,,,having said all that,,my question is,,will Mn police be looking for me? I mean will they come to my home or job? this warrant is a misdemeanor,,I don't think Wis would extradite,,but Am I ok unless for some reason I get stopped here?
Try not to worry, they will go to your old address and if they don't find you there, they will probably just cross your name off the list and move on to the name below you.

The cross-reference the DMV files with the national data-base verification program takes several weeks to complete and then the Wisconsin Sheriff would have to drive all the way over here to pick you up. Since you probably gave them a fake Minnesota address, that won't do them any good anyways. You did provide a fake address didn't you? If not I'd advise using your back door for the next month or two and cut through your neighbors' back yards.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:24 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,657,834 times
The longer you wait the worse it's gonna get. All it takes is for some little old lady to bump into you in the parking lot, and next thing you know you're screwed. Don't run away, get a lawyer you can work with and get that issue resolved.

Quote:
at least for now it gives me time to get things back on track,,then maybe I can face the music and be done with it...
That's why you need to get a lawyer, toot sweet.

Last edited by audadvnc; 12-09-2010 at 01:57 PM..

Old 12-09-2010, 01:44 PM

267 posts, read 558,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by audadvnc View Post
The longer you wait the worse it's gonna get. All it takes is for some little old lady to bump into you in the parking lot, and next thing you know you're screwed. Don't run away, get a lawyer you can work with and get that issue resolved.
I agree - your name will always be in the system.

I've riden with my brother in law the police officer a few times. I can tell you that every time he stops at a light he's running someones license plate to check for warrants. This will come back to you at some point.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:54 PM

Well I didn't give a fake address,,but I got a letter from the court,,sent to my Wis address and forwarded to me at the MN address and the lable on the letter had notify sender of new address,,but that's it. I know what I should do and should have done,but my life is in such a mess right now that I could no way handle jail time or fines,at least for now it gives me time to get things back on track,,then maybe I can face the music and be done with it,,but not right now

Old 12-09-2010, 01:57 PM

Also Wis is not a member of the inter state pact agreement,,so I have been told by a lawyer that Mn may never know,,unless they run a national check,,which they rarely do,,so I just don't know

Old 12-10-2010, 07:16 AM

534 posts, read 1,171,072 times
Quote:
unless they run a national check
Actually, an officer will often run an NCIC check in addition to a state check. And in many states, the query is run in both systems simultaneously, anyway. This is not so much to be thorough; it's because sometimes warrants are entered in one system and not the other, even if they should be in both.

As far as Minnesota never knowing, a state doesn't have to be part of any interstate pact or agreement in order for an officer to run you and see a warrant, then detain you until he or she determines that your warrant is non-extraditable. Also, even if it IS non-extraditable NOW, that can certainly be changed by the county attorney. That applies whether it's a felony or a misdemeanor.

I would take care of this as soon as possible.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:28 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,657,834 times
Besides, if an officer sees you've got an outstanding arrest warrant, even out of state, how much slack is he going to give you as opposed to that nice little old lady who just backed into your car?

Old 12-10-2010, 08:46 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,534,302 times
Hire a lawyer now and clean up your past. Living in fear is no way to exist. It will hang with you regardless of how careful you are to not screw up again or not get stopped. Be pro-active about this and it will be better for you than if you have to scramble if it catches up to you instead.

I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV. I don't even like lawyers, however in your case, I'd make no haste in finding one to assist you in getting this worked out.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:11 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times
Living on the edge like this will likely give you a sharpened sense of awareness to your environment and people you meet in life and may be worth the potential consequences. Also, if you have aspirations as a writer or Country-Western singer, the experience of living on the lam will provide a perpective that you would not otherwise have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota