Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 07:21 PM

11 posts, read 26,452 times

Advertisements

Thanks a lot, fromupthere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 07:43 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,352,029 times
You're welcome.

Old 12-26-2010, 01:50 PM

169 posts, read 526,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drk_7 View Post
It is St. Mary's. I have narrowed my search to the following apartments: Far Park, Village at Essex, Gates of Rochester, 3rd Avenue Loft, Heritage Manors, Timberland Heights. If you know some of them, and can share some information, it would be helpful. Actually, I was not able to find newer apartment complexes, most of them are not available and that is what I have so far.
I don't really know of any of them. 3rd Ave Loft is built within the last 4-5 years (used to go past there).

I have friends who live in Quarry Ridge. They seem fairly nice but I think may be more pricey than others. They have their own shuttle to Mayo. It's within walking distance to SMH (when it's not so cold and snowy out!)

Also have another friend at Rolling Greens Rolling Greens - A Beautiful Community in Rochester, Minnesota - 2BR: $650 - Heat, Garage Included haven't been there so don't know much about it. It is on the bus line to downtown (not sure if it goes past SMH, but Mayo has its own shuttle from the Mayo Building/downtown to SMH, so you may just have to change shuttle.

Good luck!

Old 02-26-2011, 08:57 PM

3 posts, read 12,363 times
My husband and I are also moving to Rochester soon b/c he got a job with Mayo. I am going to be taking some classes at Rochester Community College. Can anyone suggest some nice neighborhoods that would be convenient to Mayo and the University Center. Specifically we are hoping to find a townhome. It would be great if one of us could use a bus so that we don't have to get another car right away.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:22 AM

If your husband got a job with Mayo, he can get a bus pass from Mayo and ride. I would avoid the apartments that are near RCTC. You can check out Rochester911.com | Crime & Fire Incident Maps and Reports for Rochester, MN and Surrounding Communities to see that there is a bit more crime centered in the rentals near there.

Check out Essence Property Management - Parkside Townhomes. Both of these properties are near RCTC and located on the edge of town, near the bus line and in a safe neighborhood.

Are you looking to be close to town or just close to RCTC? There's definitely a whole lot more available, but I was looking specifically near RCTC.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:16 PM

Thanks fromupthere. I was wondering if the area around RCTC was kind of more on the ghetto side. I had looked at Homestead Village Townhomes which is right in that area and they looked kind of crappy with exposed cinderblock walls. I had also looked at Rolling Ridge Townhomes on Rent.com and there they are listed as "Income Restricted" properties. So I had crossed them off my list since we wouldn’t fall under that category, although they looked good.

Mainly we just want to be close enough to town so that it’s a reasonable commute for one of us to ride a bus. We don't want to have to buy another car right away. You had mentioned in a previous post that there are park & rides everywhere and that Mayo provides bus passes to employees. I just looked up where the park & rides are located. I didn’t realize that a direct line to downtown would only mean 10-15 minutes to get to Mayo. That sounds great.

So between the areas served by Northwest, Northeast, or South park & rides which would you recommend as nicer, safer areas of town to live in? Or are there any of those three you would say to avoid? If you know of any townhomes in those areas that would be great too. When I search online it feels like the same 6 places pop up and I know there has to be more options in Rochester than that.

Last edited by MTPOWDER08; 02-27-2011 at 02:29 PM..

Old 02-27-2011, 04:03 PM

I don't see the other option of Parkside Townhomes listed on rent.com, so I'm not sure if that one is income restricted too or not.

I personally think there really isn't any area that is too bad in Rochester. Unless you are coming from someplace smaller, you'll probably find that the city is generally safe everywhere. That being said, I personally would avoid most of the apartments on 41st St. NW because of the high congestion with apartments, which can lead to more crime. I would also avoid the area around RCTC as I said before, which includes Homestead.

I always thought this place looked nice: The Brittanys Townhome and Apartments. I think there are a lot of other places around them too, though. Not knowing how much you want to spend, there is also Bouquet Companies - Townhomes and Apartments in Rochester MN. Even though it's a big place and close to the area on 41st I have suggested not looking at, I still think Jordan Mills looks nice. At one time, we were thinking of moving there but found someplace else instead.

Are you able to come check things out before your husband starts his job? That might help in your decision making too. I'd also suggest that your husband talk to Mayo about relocation. They may have places they recommend. I know it's not exactly where you want to be, but an example is there is a place in Pine Island (townhomes) that a lot of Mayo employees will live. There would be a shuttle that would come from Pine Island, but I'm not sure how that would work for only one vehicle as I don't know the shuttle stop(s?) in comparison to the townhomes. Not to mention, it's north of Rochester and RCTC is SE Rochester.

Have you considered looking at renting a home? You could check out Infinity Real Estate & Management Group for options too. He has listings for homes, townhomes, condos and apartments. Good guy to work with too.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:39 PM

Thanks fromupthere. That really helps! We will definitely look into the Brittany's when we come up and there are several other townhomes right in that area that could be possibilities. Also Jordan Mills is a great option, but I can see that there are a lot more rentals packed into that area around 41st. I have looked at the Bouguet Companies and those are super nice, but more that we would like to spend. Pine Islands looks good too, but farther away than we'd like to go. I'll keep checking back on Infinity too they have a decent list going.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:22 PM

Happy to help! Any more questions come up, feel free to ask.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:40 PM

29 posts, read 83,249 times
I know I'm late coming upon this thread, but wanted to suggest looking into Grandville Rochester MN Apartments and Apartment for Rent - Rochester Minnesota Rentals - Best Rochester Rental

It's a bit on the pricey side, but I visited friends there a few times, and it's really nice and VERY convenient to St Mary's/Mayo.

Rochester is a comfortable enough city and has plenty of options- I personally wouldn't choose to commute from out of town. I definitely would agree with perhaps staying out of the 41st street mass of apartments, but if you come visit and look around a bit you should find lots of options (and Mayo may be ble to help with that) The city buses are great- clean and on time and lots of routes throughout the city to downtown- so don't feel limited by the location of Mayo park-n-rides, either.

Good luck hunting! It's a nice place to live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota