Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 07:32 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,414,034 times

Advertisements

Our politicians can't get over their asinine partisan platforms and compromise on a budget that will prevent the state from shutting down tomorrow. If Minnesota's government shuts down, more than 20,000 state employees will be laid off, nonprofit agencies will be defunded and thousands of Minnesotans will lose access to higher education-related services. Why aren't more people upset about this? I am SICK of the nasty partisan politics in this state and this country. We elected these representatives to do what's best for our state, not squabble and fight over talking points for months, refuse to sign a budget and cause our state to shut down.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:08 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
Our politicians can't get over their asinine partisan platforms and compromise on a budget that will prevent the state from shutting down tomorrow. If Minnesota's government shuts down, more than 20,000 state employees will be laid off, nonprofit agencies will be defunded and thousands of Minnesotans will lose access to higher education-related services. Why aren't more people upset about this? I am SICK of the nasty partisan politics in this state and this country. We elected these representatives to do what's best for our state, not squabble and fight over talking points for months, refuse to sign a budget and cause our state to shut down.
I'm somewhat upset about it, but I don't live up there anymore. Still, it shows that partisanship is really stupid when it's taken too far.

Are MN's politicians still paid during a government shutdown?

If they are, why is that allowed?

Old 06-30-2011, 10:17 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I'm somewhat upset about it, but I don't live up there anymore. Still, it shows that partisanship is really stupid when it's taken too far.
If the two parties have very different views on how things should be handled, wouldn't you expect them to voice their "partisan" views? I know I do. Who's to say what's "too far?" Too far for me may be not far enough for you. We are talking about the actions of elected officials who are held accountable to the voters. If we don't like what they are doing we can vote them out next time around.

Last edited by Glenfield; 06-30-2011 at 10:30 AM..

Old 06-30-2011, 01:12 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,799 times
Quote:

Are MN's politicians still paid during a government shutdown?

If they are, why is that allowed?
Yep

Old 06-30-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
If the two parties have very different views on how things should be handled, wouldn't you expect them to voice their "partisan" views? I know I do. Who's to say what's "too far?" Too far for me may be not far enough for you. We are talking about the actions of elected officials who are held accountable to the voters. If we don't like what they are doing we can vote them out next time around.
It's gone too far. Their indecision hurts the economy.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:46 PM

812 posts, read 2,172,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
It's gone too far. Their indecision hurts the economy.
That's what makes me mad. They spend money because they can't do their jobs on time.

Frankly, if our governing body knew they'd be the ones to lose their jobs if they couldn't reach an agreement in time it would never be an issue.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:55 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
While true, should it really hold that their ideals are more important to them in the short term than the actual operation of state government?

Compromise is not a four-letter word. Considering it is not a sign of weakness.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:28 PM

What is the tobacco settlement bonding idea the Republicans proposed?
GOP offered $1 billion in new revenue
$400m from tobacco settlement bonds
$400m K-12 Ed shift
$200m unspecified non-tax revenue.

Last edited by ozzie679; 06-30-2011 at 06:40 PM..

Old 06-30-2011, 07:44 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,123,645 times
Will there be 20,000 new state job openings when the state resumes operations? If so, I'm there!

Old 06-30-2011, 07:52 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,710,703 times
Quote:
While true, should it really hold that their ideals are more important to them in the short term than the actual operation of state government?

Compromise is not a four-letter word. Considering it is not a sign of weakness.
I'm not so sure that it's about the legislators ideals so much as it is ours. Each of them feels that they were elected to do certain things and I am sure that no matter which side of the aisle they sit on, they are trying to carry that out. In the end, there seems to be a fundamental difference of opinion over whether the government is under funded or too large. That makes it very difficult to compromise. It's nice to say that word, but specifically what compromise do you have in mind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota