Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 02:24 PM

2,618 posts, read 6,163,160 times

Advertisements

I saw all over the MN news about people testifying and complaining over how terrible things are because the state parks are shut down.

Based on what they're considering doing (raising taxes and increasing spending), wouldn't a nice day at a state park be the least of my worries knowing I'm going to face high taxes and the value of the money I hold in my pocket and bank account are rapidly decreasing in value?

People complaining the kids can't go to the state parks and have a fun day outside.....how about the mountain of debt your kids will pay for their entire lives as adults for the overspending done today?

Old 07-14-2011, 02:50 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
The closing of the state parks is just ONE consequence of the state shutdown. Personally, we have had reservations for a year to camp-we were supposed to go last year. We paid our fee last July, who knows when we will get our refund. The state parks are losing $200,000/week because of the shutdown.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:53 PM

455 posts, read 638,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The closing of the state parks is just ONE consequence of the state shutdown. Personally, we have had reservations for a year to camp-we were supposed to go last year. We paid our fee last July, who knows when we will get our refund. The state parks are losing $200,000/week because of the shutdown.
You have to pay to go to the state parks?

Old 07-14-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
Yes, you pay either a daily fee to get in or buy an annual pass. If you are camping, you pay to rent the campsite. It's minimal, like $35/night or something for an electric site. Annual passes are something like $25.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:15 PM

326 posts, read 871,995 times
Honestly, state parks are something I use far more than most other government services.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:30 PM

35 posts, read 59,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
You pay whether you go or not. Those who go pay more. I believe fees from day users, campers and concessionaires comprise approximately half the total parks budget. The remainder of the parks budget comes from taxes.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:52 PM

256 posts, read 664,583 times
I love the state parks. They are a great place to go camping and enjoy nature all year round. One of the things I love about MN.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:09 AM

2,618 posts, read 6,163,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarimn00 View Post
I love the state parks. They are a great place to go camping and enjoy nature all year round. One of the things I love about MN.
That's great and all, and state parks I'm sure are very nice....but you guys understand the ultimate consequence of deficit spending, right? Do you know how Keynesian economics works and how it's caused the downfall of empires like soviet russia? We're fasting increased monetary inflation and inefficient welfare programs that only tax the public even further. The system today cannot sustain itself and we're approaching its end. You guys understand the REAL problem, right? I think parks should be the last worry you have right now.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
That's great and all, and state parks I'm sure are very nice....but you guys understand the ultimate consequence of deficit spending, right? Do you know how Keynesian economics works and how it's caused the downfall of empires like soviet russia? We're fasting increased monetary inflation and inefficient welfare programs that only tax the public even further. The system today cannot sustain itself and we're approaching its end. You guys understand the REAL problem, right? I think parks should be the last worry you have right now.
No, we are completely stupid here and have no concept of how any of this works-as long as I have checks in my checkbook I have money, right???

Old 07-15-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
Your state is in fantastic shape too:

Illinois' financial situation is worse than any other state in the country according to a study by the National Conference of State Legislatures. The state ended Fiscal Year 2010 in worse shape than any other state (the state’s general fund balance was the lowest it has ever been at negative $4.7 billion[3]) and the state's budget situation has been called "tenuous at best."[4]

Illinois state budget - Sunshine Review

Quinn said the cuts were necessary to help with the state's $11 billion budget deficit. (which is more than DOUBLE what we have in MN)

Courthouse News Service
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota