Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2011, 11:51 AM

1,393 posts, read 3,174,164 times

Advertisements

My friend is currently in a bad relationship/living situation in Las Vegas and wants desperately to move back to Minnesota, but literally has only enough money to drive back, and hopefully find a job as an accountant (or whatever until the accounting job comes available). Her father was recently put in a nursing home so she can't really get any family help.

She is hoping to find a place that she could stay in exchange for maybe some cleaning or yard work, at least until she gets established. It shouldn't take long, as she's got a good degree and can work. Perhaps a place that would wave the deposit?

Yes she has two dogs but refuses to give them up though I could possibly help her board them if necessary.

Any ideas, suggestions, available space? would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 01:05 PM

1,635 posts, read 2,657,834 times
Suggestion #1 is to lose the dogs. Can she find new owners for them out in Nevada?

Old 09-01-2011, 01:57 PM

I told her that too.. she refuses.. it's going to make it difficult for her. I told her I'd be willing to help her pay to board them, so it'd just be her and her son.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:35 PM

988 posts, read 1,828,801 times
Realizing there's undeniably emotional attachment involved, your friend may have to decide what is more important - her dogs or her sanity/safety. She may well have to make the tough decision, and really only she can make that decision for herself.

It seems you are being a caring person in making the offer to board the dogs also. Of course, be careful of the situation so you do not end up taking on more responsibility for those dogs than you care to take on or prefer. By that, I mean what happens if your friend is unable to start caring for the dogs when she is supposed to start? Are you okay with paying for the boarding if you never get paid back and/or continuing to care for the animals? If needed, would you be okay putting the animals up to the Humane Society if your friend can't take over the care and you are no longer able to pay for boarding? Is putting the animals up for boarding really the best option for them in terms of looking out for the animals interest, or more in the interest of your friend's desires?

It wouldn't surprise me if you have already considered some of this and obviously you know your friend better than I do, but just throwing the questions out there in the vein of trying to be helpful.

To your question - I suppose you could try posting on Craigslist indicating what you're looking for. To be honest, however, I would not expect many/any people to take up the offer of work for shelter. The landlord/owner still has to pay their own bills associated with the property (i.e. water, trash, maintenance, etc). However good the work is by your friend, it doesn't pay those bills. Furthermore, an owner has to fear if the relationship goes bad (for whatever reason), they will now have to go through a legal proceeding for eviction - which will cost time and money.

Alternately, you could contact Salvation Army or Catholic Charities to see if they have any options to consider.

Old 09-01-2011, 04:29 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
What kind of dogs?

Old 09-01-2011, 05:03 PM

I'm not sure what kind of dogs.. one is hairless... o.O but yes, I've considered many of the points you have noted, GB. Having known my friend for 27 years now, we've gone through a lot of supporting each other over the years, and I would like to see her happy and her son able to graduate from a decent school (she says the Las Vegas school systems are atrocious). God willing something will work out for her soon.

Thanks!

Old 09-01-2011, 09:45 PM

169 posts, read 526,529 times
Check with any local rescue, and see if any of their volunteers can help foster the 2 dogs for a little bit? These amazing volunteers may be willing to help especially if they know her story. They would LOVE the fact that she's not giving up her two dogs. Asking her to give up the dogs may create even more stress, or guilt, for her.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:56 AM

988 posts, read 1,828,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie Legs View Post
I'm not sure what kind of dogs.. one is hairless... o.O but yes, I've considered many of the points you have noted, GB. Having known my friend for 27 years now, we've gone through a lot of supporting each other over the years, and I would like to see her happy and her son able to graduate from a decent school (she says the Las Vegas school systems are atrocious). God willing something will work out for her soon.

Thanks!
That's good to hear not only you have history with her and thought those issues out. I hope I didn't come off as condescending or similar as that was not at all my intent! Has she contacted Salvation Army or Catholic Charities (or United Way, if you prefer something more secular)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummm View Post
Check with any local rescue, and see if any of their volunteers can help foster the 2 dogs for a little bit? These amazing volunteers may be willing to help especially if they know her story. They would LOVE the fact that she's not giving up her two dogs. Asking her to give up the dogs may create even more stress, or guilt, for her.
Good suggestion...as not an animal owner that didn't even occur to suggest a foster care situation - and may also relieve some of the expense for the OP (or stretch it out if need be).

Old 09-12-2011, 10:08 AM

Thanks... my friend has found a way "out" of Las Vegas, finally..and will be moving in about a week. I appreciate the comments and help. She's looking forward to a new chapter in her life for her and her son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota