Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 08:59 PM

327 posts, read 594,486 times

Advertisements

Just curious if there is anyone here who has moved from the far western states to MN. What is your take on your experience so far and do you have any advice for someone who is moving out that way next summer?

I also wanted to ask all Minnesotans about winter driving conditions there. I heard studs and chains are not allowed out there. Where I'm from, we don't get much snow, but when the winter season hits, a lot of people here get studs and chains.
Now is it easy to drive out there with as much snow and ice that your state gets? Are the roads plowed really well? Do you guys use salt on the roads? I was told that when salt is used, it rusts up vehicles quick. Is that true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 09:23 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetRay View Post
I also wanted to ask all Minnesotans about winter driving conditions there. I heard studs and chains are not allowed out there. Where I'm from, we don't get much snow, but when the winter season hits, a lot of people here get studs and chains.
Now is it easy to drive out there with as much snow and ice that your state gets? Are the roads plowed really well? Do you guys use salt on the roads? I was told that when salt is used, it rusts up vehicles quick. Is that true?
Studs are not allowed. Chains are allowed when conditions warrant, but that isn't all that common in most areas. Minnesota doesn't get much show compared to mountain states, and it doesn't get lake effect snow like Michigan and upstate NY does.

Roads in the Twin Cities metro are usually cleared fairly quickly, and a number of car washes in the Twin Cities will wash the underside of the vehicle as well as the top and sides, which helps to remove salt from the bottom. Yeah, there are various melting agents in use on highways and intersections and such, but most cars today are fairly well protected and rustproofed. No separate Ziebart required.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:45 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
I don't think I have seen anyone with chains on their tires since the early 70's before front wheel drive was available. They aren't necessary. Good tires and front wheel drive will get you through 99% of what MN has to offer. The other 1% you shouldn't be out anyway so it doesn't matter.

MN is prepared to handle the snow. It is rare that roads aren't fully plowed within hours of a snowfall. Now, this last dusting we just got, we got about 1 1/2 ", they only plowed the emergency routes in our town and not the residential streets. There was no need to plow that little bit of snow and it is almost all melted so I am happy with that decision.

Drive to the weather conditions and you will be fine--if everyone else is driving 20 in a 55 zone, there is a reason, don't go flying by them thinking you can do better .

Old 11-21-2011, 08:24 PM

54 posts, read 112,864 times
As much as some people like to complain about it, we do have probably the best snow removal in the country. You won't need chains or studs. Even after the heaviest of snow falls most of the major roads are clear within a few hours after the snow stops.

Let's just hope we don't top or have a repeat of last year. It snowed a ton. But it also snowed a ton in Chicago, Philadelphia, New York and pretty much every major city in the northern and eastern half of the country. So we weren't alone.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:23 AM

16 posts, read 46,091 times
What western state are you looking at to move to? I live in AZ, am from MN and am looking to move back after being out here for 26 years.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:37 PM

33 posts, read 82,644 times
Funny how both of you folks from the west called Minnesota "out" there/here.

"I heard studs and chains are not allowed out there."
and: ......."looking to move back after being out here for 26 years."

The WEST, is "out there".

(Just havin' some fun.)

Old 11-23-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Studs are not allowed. Chains are allowed when conditions warrant, but that isn't all that common in most areas. Minnesota doesn't get much show compared to mountain states, and it doesn't get lake effect snow like Michigan and upstate NY does.

Roads in the Twin Cities metro are usually cleared fairly quickly, and a number of car washes in the Twin Cities will wash the underside of the vehicle as well as the top and sides, which helps to remove salt from the bottom. Yeah, there are various melting agents in use on highways and intersections and such, but most cars today are fairly well protected and rustproofed. No separate Ziebart required.

I live near Seattle and we don't get much snow. So this is probably a dumb question, but do they have drivers courses in the winter to help you learn how to drive right in it? Hahaha I feel weird asking, but hey! You never know unless you ask, right? :P

That's cool that the car washes wash the underside. My car is a little over 3 years old, so hopefully it wouldn't rust like my family keeps telling me about...lol.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I don't think I have seen anyone with chains on their tires since the early 70's before front wheel drive was available. They aren't necessary. Good tires and front wheel drive will get you through 99% of what MN has to offer. The other 1% you shouldn't be out anyway so it doesn't matter.

MN is prepared to handle the snow. It is rare that roads aren't fully plowed within hours of a snowfall. Now, this last dusting we just got, we got about 1 1/2 ", they only plowed the emergency routes in our town and not the residential streets. There was no need to plow that little bit of snow and it is almost all melted so I am happy with that decision.

Drive to the weather conditions and you will be fine--if everyone else is driving 20 in a 55 zone, there is a reason, don't go flying by them thinking you can do better .
Do smaller towns get plowed pretty quick as well? I'm looking at more of the middle part of the state.

Out here I drive like a granny even if there's black ice.. So I for sure won't be driving 55 when it's bad out. Haha

Old 11-23-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcvc View Post
As much as some people like to complain about it, we do have probably the best snow removal in the country. You won't need chains or studs. Even after the heaviest of snow falls most of the major roads are clear within a few hours after the snow stops.

Let's just hope we don't top or have a repeat of last year. It snowed a ton. But it also snowed a ton in Chicago, Philadelphia, New York and pretty much every major city in the northern and eastern half of the country. So we weren't alone.
Yeah I have a friend that lives out there and she said it was a really bad winter. I remember I always paid attention to what it was doing out there, on the news..lol

Old 11-23-2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldsparamedic View Post
What western state are you looking at to move to? I live in AZ, am from MN and am looking to move back after being out here for 26 years.
O I'd be moving from a western state (Washington), to MN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota