Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you set your thermostat to (if you set it variably, answer what you set it to when you are a
Below 54F 0 0%
54 - 59F 1 2.27%
60 - 63F 5 11.36%
64 - 67F 11 25.00%
68 - 71F 17 38.64%
72 - 75F 10 22.73%
76 - 79F 0 0%
80 - 83F 0 0%
84F or above 0 0%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 12:13 AM

42 posts, read 91,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
You don't catch a cold from being cold.
You have to be exposed to the virus.

We run a corn stove, 70-74*F
(We get free corn)

Actually untrue if your immune system is compromised from an illness or medication. The hypothalmic regulation of body temperature isn't working as well when someone has such a severe illness.

OP- in the winter I set it at 68-69, and summer usually set at 74.

Lots of positive thoughts to you- if you are experiencing financial hardship due to your illness, there are many resources available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2012, 07:05 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,179,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oalquimista View Post
Actually untrue if your immune system is compromised from an illness or medication. The hypothalmic regulation of body temperature isn't working as well when someone has such a severe illness.

OP- in the winter I set it at 68-69, and summer usually set at 74.

Lots of positive thoughts to you- if you are experiencing financial hardship due to your illness, there are many resources available.
Nope what you posted is "untrue"
Your compromised immune system and being exposed to the virus is the cause, the temp had nothing to do with it, don't perpetuate the myth.

If you or they were exposed to -30*F you/they would not get sick unless they were exposed to the virus, you can't catch a cold with out being exposed to the virus.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:27 AM

355 posts, read 977,838 times
My thermostat is set to 14C - 57F.

I live in an old kamienice in the city centre of Kraków, Poland, and our heating is electric. We have 4,5 metre (14 ft) ceilings and huge rooms. I have calculated that if I would run my heater to an (for me) optimum temperature of 18C (64F) the power consumption would be similar to a small indoor marijuana plantation with 10 growing lamps. The latter would probably produce more heat in the process as well... Unfortunately, this kind of operation is very illegal in Poland, so it's out of the question.

But really, if your winter temps are common in the 20's and 30's F, I don't see the point of heating it much above 60 inside, as your body will rather quickly acclimatize to it, and as a result, you're less likely to be cold during winter when outside.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:03 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,346,542 times
Quote:
Your compromised immune system and being exposed to the virus is the cause, the temp had nothing to do with it, don't perpetuate the myth.

If you or they were exposed to -30*F you/they would not get sick unless they were exposed to the virus, you can't catch a cold with out being exposed to the virus.
You are missing the point though, if your body or immune system isn't functioning at peak levels, those viruses and germs have more of a chance to replicate in your body and make you sick. Think of a chemo patient that has a compromised immune system, a common cold could kill them where someone with a fully functioning immune system will be sick for a couple days and be just fine after that. If your body is constantly cold, the resources in your body go to keeping your body warm and as a result, your immune system will not function at peak levels, leaving you more susceptible to having a bad reaction to a virus or bacteria that you would normally be able to fight off easily. The cold doesn't cause the illness but it contributes to your body's ability to fight off that illness. In the reverse, that is why you have a fever when you are sick, your immune system goes into hyperdrive and the fever is an outward example of your immune system at work.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:30 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,660,139 times
Similarly, plants that are stressed due to dehydration or soil incompatibilities tend to be more susceptible to parasites and blights.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:44 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,238,855 times
72-74 almost all year, that is my comfort zone. I would hate always being cold in my home just to save 5-10% on the heating bill, I would cut multiple other things from my budget first. I don't mind a little bit warmer temperatures with a fan on me during the summer, but really don't like being cold while inside during the winter.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:51 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,874,916 times
Quote:
You don't catch a cold from being cold.
You have to be exposed to the virus.

We run a corn stove, 70-74*F
(We get free corn)
Free corn? You mean instead of selling it for the around $6.00/bushel you burn it in your corn stove? LOL.
GL2

Old 01-17-2012, 10:28 AM

42 posts, read 91,229 times
Quote:

Are you familiar with the Hypothalmic- Pituitary connection to temperature? Thought so. I think your stove needs more corn buddy. Warm your heart up a bit.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:34 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,095,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Free corn? You mean instead of selling it for the around $6.00/bushel you burn it in your corn stove? LOL.
GL2
free or not, I can't imagine having to constantly having to open all those cans all winter long.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:04 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,346,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghengis View Post
free or not, i can't imagine having to constantly having to open all those cans all winter long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota