Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 07:16 AM

6,346 posts, read 11,129,557 times

Advertisements

I've been reading that a growing Tick problem in some areas of the state is leading to serious illnesses such as Lyme Disease in many people.

Is this problem confined to rural areas or is it also being felt by people that live in in cities and towns like the Twin Cities, Duluth, Hibbing, Austin, etc.?

I am originally from New England and there the problem is usually found in the forests and rural areas and not so much in the cities and suburban areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 04:53 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,421,650 times
Mostly rural areas where deer are. Personally I don't know anyone that has had Lyme Disease. I don't know that I would classify it as "many" people but yes, it happens.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Mostly rural areas where deer are. Personally I don't know anyone that has had Lyme Disease. I don't know that I would classify it as "many" people but yes, it happens.
My cousin in Connecticut got it a couple of decades ago shortly after it was first identified along the coast of Connecticut. Apparently that is where the disease originated and has since spread out to other areas of the country. Not one of our greatest Exports, I'm afraid.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:14 AM

Maps of infected areas in MN and other states.

American Lyme Disease Foundation

Old 01-30-2012, 09:09 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,156,980 times
I wouldn't worry that much about little bitty deer ticks but once carp learned how to fly it was just a matter of time before other watery predators made the jump to an airborne threat. Witness the newest danger to Minnesotans and any unwary out-of-state visitors, I heard one Health Dept official remark that if one of these females managed to deposit their couple hundred eggs in a sub-epidermal attack, you'd save yourself a lot of trouble by just shooting yourself in the head immediately.

The Brazilian Flying Leech...

Flying Leeches in Minnesota - YouTube

Old 01-30-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I wouldn't worry that much about little bitty deer ticks but once carp learned how to fly it was just a matter of time before other watery predators made the jump to an airborne threat. Witness the newest danger to Minnesotans and any unwary out-of-state visitors, I heard one Health Dept official remark that if one of these females managed to deposit their couple hundred eggs in a sub-epidermal attack, you'd save yourself a lot of trouble by just shooting yourself in the head immediately.

The Brazilian Flying Leech...

Flying Leeches in Minnesota - YouTube
Give my best to Kublai. :-)

LOL. Pretty funny sketch. Unfortunately the Tick infestation does seem to be getting worse and for those that do contact Lyme Disease it can actually become a debilitating illness for life. In some rare cases, death does occur. For anyone that spends any amount of time in the outdoors, this does merit some concern.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:03 PM

434 posts, read 554,656 times
Ticks are all over in the northern part of the state. Anyone who spends any time walking in the woods is going to have ticks crawling on them and their pets when they get back. Just walking down the road, I rarely get them. In town, I never got them.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:13 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,192,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
. Unfortunately the Tick infestation does seem to be getting worse and for those that do contact it can actually become a debilitating illness for life. In some rare cases, death does occur. For anyone that spends any amount of time in the outdoors, this does merit some concern.
Your right it could happen.
OR
What usually happens is the person or animal is treated for Lyme Disease and continues on with life with no problems.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:37 PM

434 posts, read 554,656 times
you should come up north in May or June. Spend some time in the woods, see how bad the ticks are, and see if you can survive the swarm of mosquitoes

Old 01-30-2012, 05:57 PM

15,949 posts, read 12,337,941 times
looks like the deer ticks prefer wooded areas, but ticks are in massive numbers here in eastern south dakota if a person walks through any unmowed grassess, crops, etc. The regular large, non deer tick variety. A 3 minute walk near a pond in town in some 12 inch tall grass resulted in something like 7 ticks on me one time. None of them had burrowed in yet. But by August they are mostly gone.

Looks like the black hills are more for me. Lower mosquito count due to dryer conditions, beautiful area, nice chinook winds in the winters, lower tick count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota