Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 03:15 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,356,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klhbrown View Post
Thanks. I will certainly look into the realtor option. I was unaware realtors worked with rentals, because how would they receive their commissions off that? Anywho, I'll give it a shot. Thanks, again!
The one I know of here is a smaller real estate office - not a national one. I know there are a couple in Duluth who also list rentals (which the realtor may be the owner of, I have no clue), and they too are not national real estate places. I'd recommend trying to find something along those lines.

Again good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 05:13 PM

54 posts, read 244,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
They may or may not get a "commission" from the owners on the rental but what they are counting on is you using them when you do buy your home.

Again, it isn't that you are from Oklahoma, it's the 100 lb dog, sorry. We have rental property and we would never rent to anyone with a 100 lb dog. We MIGHT consider a very small, very well trained dog, maybe....with a big, extra security deposit, maybe.
Are you suggesting that when landlords advertise their properties as "large dog friendly" or "dog accepted NO weight limit" & approve the 100lb dog, they're lying when they disqualify us for being from of state and they really disapprove of the dog they already approved of?
Honestly, I'm curious. As a landlord, if you ran an ad saying "large dog friendly" what would you consider a "large" dog? Would you ever tell someone they were disqualified because of location when it was really because of the pet?
I would hope if a landlord had a problem with a pet they had pre-approved they would just be straight up honest about it. If people are dancing around the issue intentionally because they can't back up what they advertised than it makes me rethink this whole move.
Here in Oklahoma, at least, when a landlord advertises "no weight limit" on dogs, they honestly mean "no weight limit." Sad if someone advertises one thing & means another just to generate interest in their ad.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:32 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,368,302 times
Well, you never said that you specifically applied to places that allow 100 lb dogs. We advertise for NO PETS so it isn't an issue. We have a long term renter that asked if we would allow him to have a small dog. Since we knew him and got the information about the dog, we agreed to let him have the dog. He, however, changed his mind so that was the end of it.

When you say that they won't rent to you because you are from Oklahoma, what exactly do they say "We don't rent to anyone from Oklahoma?"

Old 02-11-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Well, you never said that you specifically applied to places that allow 100 lb dogs. We advertise for NO PETS so it isn't an issue. We have a long term renter that asked if we would allow him to have a small dog. Since we knew him and got the information about the dog, we agreed to let him have the dog. He, however, changed his mind so that was the end of it.

When you say that they won't rent to you because you are from Oklahoma, what exactly do they say "We don't rent to anyone from Oklahoma?"
Yes, we've put in applications with places the specifically allow big dogs. They say it's fine and they'de love to help us us, but when we throw it out there that we're from out of state they change their tune.
They say they'd prefer to "keep it local." The most nasty comment I received was that it's simply "too hard to trust someone who's not from around here." I brushed it off at the time, but after repeated rejections it's starting to bug me. The dumbest comment I've heard is that it's too hard to trust someone that contacted them via internet when their ad was on craigslist!
Maybe I should start a new thread asking what opinions Minnesotans have of Oklahomans. Lol.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:37 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,368,302 times
Maybe they have gotten burned in the past from people out of state...? I wouldn't judge an entire state based on the comments of 2 people.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Maybe they have gotten burned in the past from people out of state...? I wouldn't judge an entire state based on the comments of 2 people.

Not judging. Just wondering what gives and hoping our luck turns around soon.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:37 PM

11 posts, read 16,130 times
Renting in the Twin Cities is bad. Lots of the time it is easier and cheaper to own a home then it is to rent. Add in a hundred pound dog and you are not likely to find anything.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:03 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,032,681 times
As a last resort, I do know some of the new construction apartments in Minneapolis bill themselves as specifically dog-friendly. Obviously it's not the west suburbs like you'd prefer and the rent would be more expensive, but if you absolutely need to get up here, it could be an option, at least temporarily. They're run by rental companies rather than individuals, so maybe you'd have more luck?

Just a thought. I don't know why you seem to be running into a problem just because you're out of state. Seems a bit silly.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:12 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,428,131 times
My guess is that it has nothing to do with Oklahoma, per se, and its just that with renters beating down their door, its more convenient for landlords to go local and dogless.

Last spring, when I moved to the area from out of state, most listings that I saw were gone before I had a chance to call. For the place we are in now, it went up (Craigslist) on a Monday night, by the time I called Tuesday morning, I was already the third to inquire. We were coming through town on Thursday night so we stopped to look at it then, and the tenant at the time said 9 more people were lined up to look at it on Sunday.

Although a place might be "large-dog friendly", if you've got 10 people to choose from and 5 of them have impeccable references, why not choose the ones without a 100 lb dog and with references from other managers you might be familiar with?

Which is not to say I don't sympathize with your plight. Hope something works out, and if you've got any trips to the area planned, scour craigslist really hard in the days right before you come!

Old 02-13-2012, 12:21 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,426,589 times
I understand the OP completely I have a 200lb dog and soon to add another of the same breed. Most places advertise "dog friendly" but impose weight restrictions. Small dogs can cause just as much if not more so of damage as large ones. People don't understand its a matter of dog breed and temperament.

Good luck in your search! I will soon be embarking on my own journey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota