Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2012, 05:02 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,686,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
that was when the destination was Arden Hills
Thanks Ghengis, I can always count on you to have my back.

Just in Minnesota Fashion, the Vikings stadium is going to get done, but in a short cutting, cheesy way.

LOL 3/4s of the stadium built, then a rinky-dink season at TCF then finish it up. Great plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.drew View Post
It's also fun to go to the bar and have a couple while watching football on Sunday afternoon.

I'd agree. Much more fun than freezing my chesnuts off in a ramp downtown. lol.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:58 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,390,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
I'd agree. Much more fun than freezing my chesnuts off in a ramp downtown. lol.
Oh come on. You call yourself a Minnesotan? You need to embrace the cold, and let's be honest, the truly coldest months out of the year January and February anyway so we won't be playing mostly that time of year to begin with.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Oh come on. You call yourself a Minnesotan? You need to embrace the cold, and let's be honest, the truly coldest months out of the year January and February anyway so we won't be playing mostly that time of year to begin with.
That's true. I said I would enjoy tailgating at an early fall game - like sweatshirt weather, but not in the winter in a ramp or anything. Just not my preference. But yea, sure I would definitely tailgate in the early months of the season. I do embrace the winter - I am outdoors for deer hunting, ice skating, snowmobiling and the occasional ice fishing.... I just like my NFL package and my TV. I prefer that over tailgating when it's freezing out. In a ramp.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:45 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,030,264 times
Quote:
Thanks Ghengis, I can always count on you to have my back.

Just in Minnesota Fashion, the Vikings stadium is going to get done, but in a short cutting, cheesy way.

LOL 3/4s of the stadium built, then a rinky-dink season at TCF then finish it up. Great plan.
How is it a shortcut to build part of the stadium, move the Vikes to TCF for a season while the rest is built, then move them back? That hardly seems like a shortcut. It's just that you don't want it in Minneapolis.

I'm pretty location-agnostic. On the Dome site? Cool. Arden Hills? Sure. Farmer's Market/Linden Ave? Yeah. You could even try out the Shakopee location or the even more far-fetched (but cool) Duluth plan.

Old 03-12-2012, 11:42 AM

989 posts, read 2,963,827 times
Quote:
If I pay $80 for a ticket im not going to sit in a parking ramp in block E cooking weiners on a grill.
Tailgating is just a relic anyway. No matter where they build a new stadium, it will be just a watered down version of what they used to allow back in the day.

NFL is now very corporate about finding every nickel they can and making sure there is nobody cooking weiners for free when they should be paying $8 a dog. Equally corporate is how they make it sound like they support something, but they really don't. If the city can allow drinking for ribfest, block parties and such, why can't they facilitate it for tailgating as well? Would not surprise me to hear the NFL shut it down in the back room as part of the stadium deal. Drink your own beer from your own cooler - never gonna happen again (legally).

Old 03-12-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
How is it a shortcut to build part of the stadium, move the Vikes to TCF for a season while the rest is built, then move them back? That hardly seems like a shortcut. It's just that you don't want it in Minneapolis.

I'm pretty location-agnostic. On the Dome site? Cool. Arden Hills? Sure. Farmer's Market/Linden Ave? Yeah. You could even try out the Shakopee location or the even more far-fetched (but cool) Duluth plan.
Idk, it just seems so cheesy. Maybe shortcut isn't the right word. Cheesy in the sense that it could have just been done on a superfund site, a year-by-year lease with the Dome til it's completed and that's that. The State even forcefully can upgrade infrastructure that desperately needs it in the north metro. Yet here we are cheesily piecing together a stadium just so a bunch of mpls backers can have it there.

It reminds me of Target Field. They finally after 10 years got something approved, but it was all about how much "money is being saved" first by not building a roof that retracts, then scraping this idea and then short cutting that idea. Eventually the Pohlads just started adding things on with their own $ to make it look better because the original plans cheesed out so much

Old 03-13-2012, 01:25 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,030,264 times
Quote:
Idk, it just seems so cheesy. Maybe shortcut isn't the right word. Cheesy in the sense that it could have just been done on a superfund site, a year-by-year lease with the Dome til it's completed and that's that. The State even forcefully can upgrade infrastructure that desperately needs it in the north metro. Yet here we are cheesily piecing together a stadium just so a bunch of mpls backers can have it there.

It reminds me of Target Field. They finally after 10 years got something approved, but it was all about how much "money is being saved" first by not building a roof that retracts, then scraping this idea and then short cutting that idea. Eventually the Pohlads just started adding things on with their own $ to make it look better because the original plans cheesed out so much
I have a hard time believing any part of the Target Field project is cheesy...it's one of the most gorgeous sports stadiums in the country in large part thanks to Hennepin County residents footing the bill. Sure, the Pohlads added some money, but as they are the largest beneficiaries, that certainly isn't an issue. At all.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:40 AM

989 posts, read 2,963,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
I have a hard time believing any part of the Target Field project is cheesy...it's one of the most gorgeous sports stadiums in the country in large part thanks to Hennepin County residents footing the bill. Sure, the Pohlads added some money, but as they are the largest beneficiaries, that certainly isn't an issue. At all.
Target Field is awesome.

Part of the reason it took 10 years to get done is that Carl is a t-rex. Very hard to get wallet out with short little arms. Sounds like Ziggy is a t-rex too.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:07 PM

413 posts, read 764,842 times
The only people who complained about not having a roof on Target Field were the outstate (and out of state) fans, but none of those people wanted to put up any money, so too bad. It's a beautiful ballpark.

As far as tailgating goes, it's great in places like Milwaukee, Green Bay, Kansas City, and any number of college stadiums, particularly in the SEC. In the state where nothing is allowed though, good luck with that. Nothing could have been stupider than Mayor McBicycle's plan to have a "fan experience" in the old armory. People who tailgate want to drink their own booze to excess, party, grill, smoke cigars, and generally be rowdy - not be stuck in some old building paying too much for food and beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota