Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 01:55 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,388,588 times

Advertisements

Is it just me, or wasn't this on the table a few years ago? I could have sworn there was discussion of just renovating HHH to the tune of something like half of the billion they want for an Arden Hills type site.

Is this not a possibility? Is the HHH just that close to being condemned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 04:48 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Is it just me, or wasn't this on the table a few years ago? I could have sworn there was discussion of just renovating HHH to the tune of something like half of the billion they want for an Arden Hills type site.

Is this not a possibility? Is the HHH just that close to being condemned?
I don't claim to be a structural engineer but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

Actually as a Facilities Mgr in downtown Mpls for many years and with a bit of experience in parking structure repair I think I can offer some perspective in this.

Assuming for this discussion that the primary goals would be to widen the concourses (say by 40 - 50 feet), add additional restrooms and build more luxury suites, I think what may be the biggest problem is that the site the metrodome sits on just can't accommodate a wider footprint.

5th and 7th Streets in the picture (Wikipedia) below can't be moved without affecting the LRT, utilities buried in the street and the Energy Center to the South of 7th St.

Building up is also problematic because you would have to provide the additional structure to support the additional weight which at that point means you are significantly gutting the lower bowls to tie the completely new upper structure back into the bedrock. Here are two links to pretty good plan view of the metrodome's structure... http://www.columbia.edu/cu/gsapp/BT/...RODM/met02.jpg & http://www.columbia.edu/cu/gsapp/BT/...DM/2709-26.jpg Which are part of perhaps the most detailed Metrodome construction info available out there... Metrodome: Main Menu

There's a bunch of other things (and no doubt many I can't think of) that are less obvious to remove and rebuild as well. All the additional restrooms (I've heard they are looking for double what they have now), concession areas, suites, offices would require and produce and generate a corresponding larger amount of water. All of those systems as well as electrical and the steam and chilled water from the energy center across the street, would have to be re-installed all the while while working around existing structures and systems.

I think most any construction professional would agree that in taking the effort to protect and preserve what little components could be saved you'd end up spending more than what it would take to build the structure from scratch. Really, I can't imagine what you could save outside of the playing field and perhaps the lower seating bowl that sits on grade right now. So, really...what's the point?

Old 02-15-2012, 08:36 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,859,855 times
It is mainly a financial issue and the Vikings are currently one of the least profitable teams in the NFL. They need a newly built facility to compete with the other teams in terms of sponsorship revenue, luxury ticket sales, concessions, and merchandise. A newly built stadium offers more food options, more points of purchase for merchandise, more luxury suites/club level seats and possibly exterior restaurants and other revenue generators. Not saying I agree with the idea of always building new, but the problem is the standard has been set by other NFL teams and the Vikings are currently operating under an antiquated financial model. With this being said, whey can't the league or owners foot more of the bill than the taxpayers?

Old 02-15-2012, 12:31 PM

Interesting. I just thought there was discussion out there that this was an option. I guess I was just wrong or this was just hearsay?

Old 02-15-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govie View Post
Interesting. I just thought there was discussion out there that this was an option. I guess I was just wrong or this was just hearsay?
No, you are correct. BC Place in Vancuver is virtually a replica of the Metrodome (or vice versa). They recently completed a renovation of that stadium in what grew from a $200M to a $560M project. Aside from ending up with a retractable roof, the improvements were generally asthetic in nature; renovated suites, corridors, new chairs, clubhouses, etc. I'd post a link the Yelp reviews but think that is against TOS but they are easily found and the reviews are luke warm at best. The roof is significantly higher apparently and provides more indoor space in that regard and some translucent panels were added at the top of the seating bowl, but...really...for nearly $600M, would anyone be happy with this erector set design in downtown Mpls?

from Wiki...

Attached Thumbnails
Why can't we just renovate the Metrodome?-bc_place_opening_day_2011-09-30.jpg  

Old 02-15-2012, 02:55 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,236,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
No, you are correct. BC Place in Vancuver is virtually a replica of the Metrodome (or vice versa). They recently completed a renovation of that stadium in what grew from a $200M to a $560M project. Aside from ending up with a retractable roof, the improvements were generally asthetic in nature; renovated suites, corridors, new chairs, clubhouses, etc. I'd post a link the Yelp reviews but think that is against TOS but they are easily found and the reviews are luke warm at best. The roof is significantly higher apparently and provides more indoor space in that regard and some translucent panels were added at the top of the seating bowl, but...really...for nearly $600M, would anyone be happy with this erector set design in downtown Mpls?

from Wiki...
I have read and heard complaints about the renovated BC Place that basically sound like the same complaints about the Metrodome, plus their retractable fabric roof leaks.

Old 02-15-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post

from Wiki...
That thing is pretty ugly.

Be that as it may, I really hope the HHH stays around. It's so legendary. The only venue to host a MLB All-Star Game (1985), a Super Bowl (1992), an NCAA Final Four (1992 & 2001), and a World Series (1987 & 1991).

Then again, I understand economics and the fact that eventually it will just have to go.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:13 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,682,112 times
A lot of people are failing to realize how un-tech savvy the Metrodome is. There are no big screens (The new one @ Target Field is 9x the size). There hardly any televisions in the concourse. I haven't been there since the Twins' last game, but I can't remember any wi-fi or mobile - device accomodations. There is no pro-shop or main restaurants/food places/bars.

In addition to that, the audio is terrible. The reverberation off the concrete and teflon is enough to drive any one crazy. It's horrible for concerts, so no band in their right mind would ever play there. That's why it gets so loud-

Old 02-15-2012, 07:24 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,510,505 times
New BC place looks perfect in Vancouver, that roof would probably look awesome in MPLS

Old 02-15-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
New BC place looks perfect in Vancouver, that roof would probably look awesome in MPLS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota