Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 09:25 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,155,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I was talking about myself. I will fish in inclement weather. I will skate in the snow. I will play snowball fights in the snow. Baseball isn't meant to be played in the rain, not professional baseball anyway. And even if the players can hack it, baseball games get cancelled or delayed when it rains. I know myself very well. If a baseball game gets cancelled because of rain, I will be very upset.
Just can't take re-scheduling a couple games a year??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 10:50 PM

8 posts, read 10,035 times
Tear down the Ikea and bring in the stadium... But if a new stadium ever comes in, it will just be put on top of the current dome location.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:11 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,677,123 times
Quote:
Let us agree to disagree. I like Miller Park and you don't. I like the domed stadiums and I see nothing wrong with them. You see alot wrong with them. I am me and you are you.
But that just proves he's right and we're wrong

I like Target Field too. It offers a decent skyline view (although the original renderings had downtown more centered in the outfield -- I'm guessing they had to rotate the stadium to fit it into the small parcel). The outfield plaza connecting to First Avenue is cool. The food there is good, though I think it's been totally overhyped to the point that people paid huge money for a baseball ticket so they could eat a good brat. Not really logical.

But I prefer Miller Park because it offers tailgating and because I know that the game will be played no matter the weather. That's important when you've invested a lot of money in the tickets, plus travel time and gas, food, hotel, etc. I also think it's simply a nicer park. I will say that the quality of food there has gone in the dump. County Stadium had great food. Miller Park has Metrodome-like food now.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:55 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,113,285 times
Quote:
I'm sorry you feel that way. I feel different. I say let it happen. Who says EVERY game has to be indoors? Have outdoor games in decent weather, and have indoor games when it rains or snows.
Snow during football games builds character. Look at the Packers, or the Vikings of old. Teams like the Rams would come up to the Met Stadium in Bloomington and shiver in cold and fear before being smacked down by a rain of purple bodies. Joe Kapp. Carl Eller. Bill Brown. Not pansies like Moss.

(Okay, I wouldn't say it to his face, but his game would certainly have been a little different were the Vikings not a dome team during his tenure)

Old 05-04-2012, 03:15 PM

73,102 posts, read 62,746,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Snow during football games builds character. Look at the Packers, or the Vikings of old. Teams like the Rams would come up to the Met Stadium in Bloomington and shiver in cold and fear before being smacked down by a rain of purple bodies. Joe Kapp. Carl Eller. Bill Brown. Not pansies like Moss.

(Okay, I wouldn't say it to his face, but his game would certainly have been a little different were the Vikings not a dome team during his tenure)
Part of why I said football is meant to be played in inclement weather. Baseball, from what I've heard, isn't meant to be played in inclement weather.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:24 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,677,123 times
I agree that the worse the weather, the better the football. Case in point: 1967 Ice Bowl, one of the greatest NFL games of all time. Gametime temp was around -15F. One of my first football memories is watching the Packers trounce Tampa Bay (Steve Young's first team) during a blizzard on 1st December 1985:

Green Bay Packers Snow Bowl game 1985 - YouTube

Old 05-04-2012, 03:46 PM

5,342 posts, read 14,155,008 times
Quote:
Part of why I said football is meant to be played in inclement weather. Baseball, from what I've heard, isn't meant to be played in inclement weather.
But it is meant to be played in weather (sun, clouds, wind, under the stars, cold, warm, hot....) on real grass.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:26 PM

413 posts, read 765,499 times
Miller Park is very nice, but it has a bit of an airplane hangar feel to it. It's just massive for a baseball stadium. Target Field is far more intimate, and to me, is a better spectator experience.

I LOVED County Stadium. It's still my favorite ballpark of all time.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:30 AM

73,102 posts, read 62,746,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
But it is meant to be played in weather (sun, clouds, wind, under the stars, cold, warm, hot....) on real grass.
Perhaps, but what if it's raining? Always need a backup.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:36 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,182,572 times
It's not about if millionaires can play football in inclement weather. It's about the spectators and what to do with a open air arena the rest of the winter or the rest of the year for that matter.

Why is this so hard for everyone to understand?

PS. I really don't care if the cheese heads have a open air arena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota