Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 10:52 PM

127 posts, read 192,367 times

Advertisements

A 110,000 seat stadium might work...

if it has two adjacent fields and the Packers and Vikings play simultaneously.

I am surprised the specifications weren't closer to 70K. With the enhanced gameday and stadium experience, you would think they might be able to take on another 5,000 seats w/o raising blackout risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 11:18 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,385,461 times
110K is just nonsense, especially considering their games even some times coincide with Wild games on the other side of the river.

Old 03-03-2012, 01:08 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,026,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
This is all that currently sits on the spot designated for tailgating in the new design.
Yes, but with that as the tailgating spot, it will remain a parking lot for another 30 years. Looking at the plans, it seems they plan to keep a lot of the currently parking lots just that: parking lots. Which means for the next 30 years, we won't be seeing much change to Downtown East development wise. It'll just be asphalt.

Old 03-03-2012, 02:10 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,232,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
Yes, but with that as the tailgating spot, it will remain a parking lot for another 30 years. Looking at the plans, it seems they plan to keep a lot of the currently parking lots just that: parking lots. Which means for the next 30 years, we won't be seeing much change to Downtown East development wise. It'll just be asphalt.
It looks more like an open grass park type area than a traditional tailgating asphalt parking lot on the proposal map.

I marked the proposed site in red below. I still see plenty of other space for development all around.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:37 PM

434 posts, read 552,148 times
I know I was being ridiculous when I threw out 110,000 as the seating. What I was getting at is that maybe they should go all would with whatever they can when they build the new stadium. I was looking at the picture above, and it seems that the area around the metrodome has lots of room for development that is now parking lots. Is the area in red going to be the new stadium?

A parking garage attached to the new stadium would be perfect, not just for the new stadium, but for any new develpment. It would allow for more building space, as parking would be taken care of.

It seem like it could be the perfect area to have a bunch of stuff that would be good to walk to. Restaurants and shops would be perfect.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:43 AM

989 posts, read 2,960,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.drew View Post
I know I was being ridiculous when I threw out 110,000 as the seating. What I was getting at is that maybe they should go all would with whatever they can when they build the new stadium. I was looking at the picture above, and it seems that the area around the metrodome has lots of room for development that is now parking lots. Is the area in red going to be the new stadium?

A parking garage attached to the new stadium would be perfect, not just for the new stadium, but for any new develpment. It would allow for more building space, as parking would be taken care of.

It seem like it could be the perfect area to have a bunch of stuff that would be good to walk to. Restaurants and shops would be perfect.
They will be lucky to get a bare bones deal passed, so keep that in mind. I do like the overall design of the latest proposal better than the others. Probably a case of finding out what the objections people have are centered around. Some have a overall distaste for public funding period. My gut feel is much of the opposition is related to how the pie is divided. How much cash are Vikings really putting on the table after you consider naming rights and loan from the NFL? I think that is what gets some people frosty on putting up money from the state and city. I am thinking enough of the opposition would subside if the deal was more transparent and it became clear that Wilf is actually opening his wallet wide enough to make it a true partnership.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:48 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Vikings have no comment about the new plan lol
We will never find the perfect stadium Maybe its about time we look in St Paul

Old 03-05-2012, 10:59 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
Vikings have no comment about the new plan lol
We will never find the perfect stadium Maybe its about time we look in St Paul
I've heard and seen some of the excerpts from the presser last week that indicates otherwise and the venerable sage quotes Mark Wilf as being excited about the agreement reached for the Metrodome site...

Sid Hartman: Stadium proposal has Vikings excited | StarTribune.com

Old 03-05-2012, 12:32 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
I think it was a article on the Duluth Tribune site that made it seem like the Vikings were really hoping to get the Arden Hills stadium. But thanks for the StarTrib article, glad i read that. Now we just need to find a way to make the people who want the Vikings to relocate to stop complaining

Old 03-05-2012, 01:17 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,026,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
I think it was a article on the Duluth Tribune site that made it seem like the Vikings were really hoping to get the Arden Hills stadium. But thanks for the StarTrib article, glad i read that. Now we just need to find a way to make the people who want the Vikings to relocate to stop complaining
The Strib article mentioned that they see the downtown Minneapolis site as a "compromise", but that it's good enough. Frankly, when we're plunking down hundreds of millions of dollars, the Vikings should just shut their mouths and be happy, but of course it's always where you can make the most money. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456
It looks more like an open grass park type area than a traditional tailgating asphalt parking lot on the proposal map.

I marked the proposed site in red below. I still see plenty of other space for development all around.
I don't really see how someone can tailgate on grass. Or rather, if it's a place for tailgating, it might as well be asphalt: all the tailgaters will rip up any grass that would be put down, rendering it useless for anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota