Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2012, 08:37 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,492,504 times

Advertisements

What are some of the most unusual license plates you have spotted here in Minnesota? As in a license plate that is rare or from somewhere very far.

Of course we all see AZ and FL plates but some unusual ones i seen are Chihuahua Mexico on a SUV somewhere on 494.
Quebec
Alaska
Ive seen a BMW with German plates in Minneapolis
Ive seen a couple European plates up north but they all drove to fast so it was hard to tell what country they are from lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 03:25 PM

166 posts, read 391,277 times
Manitoba, Alaska, North Carolina, Oregon,... I see Arizona all the time, specially on UHaul trucks.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:17 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times
I've seen a few plates that appear to be from Wisconsin, presumably these must be owned and registered by people from other states that know how to drive.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:30 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,120,643 times
Alaska is a quite common plate to see in Duluth. I remember seeing a Yukon Territory plate here - now that's rare.

Is it just me, or did I see tons more out-of-state plates (other than WI, MI, ND, and ON) about a decade ago than I do today? Back then in the summer, it seemed like every other car here was from somewhere distant: Illinois, Texas, Florida, and California were the most common, but you also saw a lot of plates from practically every other state and province. It seems like road trips have become a lot shorter in recent years.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Alaska is a quite common plate to see in Duluth. I remember seeing a Yukon Territory plate here - now that's rare.
Do you ever see the Northwest Territories license plate? Those are my favorite.

Quote:
Is it just me, or did I see tons more out-of-state plates (other than WI, MI, ND, and ON) about a decade ago than I do today? Back then in the summer, it seemed like every other car here was from somewhere distant: Illinois, Texas, Florida, and California were the most common, but you also saw a lot of plates from practically every other state and province. It seems like road trips have become a lot shorter in recent years.
Idk maybe alot of the long distance travelers are now flying and renting a car?

Old 03-17-2012, 12:00 AM

2,160 posts, read 1,954,661 times
Hawai'i plates -- just once, years ago.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:31 PM

^
Saw this one on a black mini van in Downtown Minneapolis

Been noticing these alot lately

Old 03-29-2012, 10:44 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,546,718 times
I think I stick out pretty good with my Georgia plate on the back and Minnesota on the front.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:10 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,079,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
I think I stick out pretty good with my Georgia plate on the back and Minnesota on the front.
I still have my MN plate on the front, too. But the chances of my car making it back to MN again are fairly small.

It's a good conversation starter in GA, tho. The northerners that seem to get a bad rap down here are east coasters, particularly New Yorkers. Folks from the upper midwest are more like curiosities.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:41 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,546,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I still have my MN plate on the front, too. But the chances of my car making it back to MN again are fairly small.

It's a good conversation starter in GA, tho. The northerners that seem to get a bad rap down here are east coasters, particularly New Yorkers. Folks from the upper midwest are more like curiosities.
I drive it back and forth at least twice a year. School up in Minnesota and work down in Georgia. At least with the Georgia plates on, I can drive like a true Georgian and never use my turn signals.

You're right about the New Yorkers. I was driving with a friend with the bright yellow NY plates and we were pulled over on the sole basis that she 'looked kinda young.'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
View detailed profiles of: