Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 03:29 PM

378 posts, read 707,840 times

Advertisements

WingInstitute > NAEP Scores vs. Funding by State

I'm sure I've posted this before. It is still interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 03:59 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,716,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xandrex View Post
Of course, someone could argue that more spending--at least at the state level--would return us to previous funding levels. A lot of the cuts in state spending have pretty much just forced local districts to borrow money in addition to cuts. An increase in funding could decrease the local borrowing level.

Just a thought.
State and local governments can borrow for capital expenditures and, in certain cases, in anticipation of receipts, but they are not allowed to borrow to cover ongoing deficits like the Federal government. I think this is one reason that state and local governments have done a better job of dealing with budget shortfalls: they have to.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018 View Post
WingInstitute > NAEP Scores vs. Funding by State

I'm sure I've posted this before. It is still interesting.
There is a modest correlation between spending and results, but no evidence that spending leads to higher outcomes. Another equally valid theory is that the factors that allow a state to spend more, specifically lower poverty levels, also lead to higher educational outcomes. If low spending led to low results, homeschoolers wouldn't be among the most successful students, and if high spending led to high results, the District of Columbia wouldn't be where it is at the bottom of the pile.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:08 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,171,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
There is a modest correlation between spending and results, but no evidence that spending leads to higher outcomes. Another equally valid theory is that the factors that allow a state to spend more, specifically lower poverty levels, also lead to higher educational outcomes. If low spending led to low results, homeschoolers wouldn't be among the most successful students, and if high spending led to high results, the District of Columbia wouldn't be where it is at the bottom of the pile.
When you hire babysitters like child psychologists, extra counselors, 5 assistant principals etc you will see the cost of education balloon out of control. Therefore the problem districts have more overhead without "educating"; that overhead goes to glorified babysitters. Hence, those statistical outliers p_ss away money and they skew the results which (in your mind and others) "proves" that more money spent == no results. Home schooling is also a statistical outlier.

I personally like when there is some budget pressures on the school. They were forced to to trim fat.

That being said, I am very sure that quality opportunities cost money (nicer labs, better quality teachers, new technology to teach etc). In summary, I would not raise my Kid's in Arizona ($3800 per pupil). Nor would I want to raise them in DC ($19K per student). I think there is a happy medium.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:29 AM

888 posts, read 1,592,553 times
Your stat claims a 100% literacy rate in Finland? That's frigging laughable. Now i'm not going to claim the literacy rate is higher in the US than Finland, nor am i gonna claim the stats on the money are way off wrong, even though the funding structures for education from country to country are way different from one another. Still, 100%, are you kidding me?

Is this some kind of propaganda used for public union busting, to show how "overpaid" teachers are in Minnysoda?

Old 03-15-2012, 08:37 AM

989 posts, read 2,963,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic_Vega View Post
Your stat claims a 100% literacy rate in Finland? That's frigging laughable. Now i'm not going to claim the literacy rate is higher in the US than Finland, nor am i gonna claim the stats on the money are way off wrong, even though the funding structures for education from country to country are way different from one another. Still, 100%, are you kidding me?

Is this some kind of propaganda used for public union busting, to show how "overpaid" teachers are in Minnysoda?
Nice tie in to the union agenda. Not so relevant to spending though.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:49 AM

455 posts, read 638,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic_Vega View Post

Not relevant. Perhaps you could score a meaningless rhetorical point if you can cite a source that shows Finland having a worse literacy rate than the United States, but even then, the point was just that the US spends 35%+ more money per student per year than Finland and doesn't have anything (at least not anything significant) to show for it.

Sorry to interrupt your teacher's union pep rally. Carry on.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:34 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,297,747 times
overhead and excessive paperwork are the biggest cost consumers in the US in general, from the government to the medical and insurance industries. I'm sure we could find a way to cut the phat from some districts, but not all.

Also lots of money is spent on sports and other activities that are arguably not essential, but very memorable for a student and perhaps worth the money. This is usually funded by local property taxes like all public schools. Where I used to live they'd have the same school spending bills up for vote and they'd fail 2, 3 times in a row.. finally they'd muster up enough people where it would pass the 4th time, to me that's kind of crooked. It should have to pass 4 times first.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
When you hire babysitters like child psychologists, extra counselors, 5 assistant principals etc you will see the cost of education balloon out of control. Therefore the problem districts have more overhead without "educating"; that overhead goes to glorified babysitters. Hence, those statistical outliers p_ss away money and they skew the results which (in your mind and others) "proves" that more money spent == no results. Home schooling is also a statistical outlier.
That's a pretty gross distortion of what I said, which was that the modest correlation between spending and better outcomes did not demonstrate a cause and effect relationship, but also could be explained in other ways. I can tell you this: if the only way someone can make a point is to misrepresent your position, their argument must be pretty weak.

Last edited by Glenfield; 03-15-2012 at 01:18 PM..

Old 03-15-2012, 01:30 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,745,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post

I personally like when there is some budget pressures on the school. They were forced to to trim fat.

That being said, I am very sure that quality opportunities cost money (nicer labs, better quality teachers, new technology to teach etc). In summary, I would not raise my Kid's in Arizona ($3800 per pupil). Nor would I want to raise them in DC ($19K per student). I think there is a happy medium.
There are so, so many other factors at work, though -- not least, the pressure to make sure that EVERYONE is educated, not just the easiest and cheapest to educate. The problem when you start trimming budgets too much is that it's the kids who are doing fine who get hurt the most. That's not true in every school or district, of course, (especially in schools where the parents have enormous political power and know how to wield it, and who can also step in and cover funding gaps through donations), but since the average middle-class kid with available parents is going to do okay in almost any school, it's easier to ignore their needs and focus on the kid who can't read. I also think it's a major stretch to suggest that counselors or administrators are "glorified babysitters", although I do think it's also probably likely that districts could cut down on some of those positions if more kids were getting what they need OUTSIDE of school. There's also the matter of high-stakes testing, which require an enormous amount of staff time and administrative costs. Blame that on the politicians, though, not on teachers or school districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
View detailed profiles of: