Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 04:08 PM

52 posts, read 115,926 times

Advertisements

Which state would you say is most socially progressive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 08:49 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,094,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuman View Post
Well, Wisconsin has had some recent issues related to being a "right to work" state thanks in part to Gov. Scott Walker, which makes it somewhat less progressive than I would have given them credit for normally.

Minnesota is also home to the DFL (Democratic Farmer Labor (http://dfl.org/about/history - broken link)) party.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:35 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,715,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuman View Post
First, define what you mean by "socially progressive" so we're all working from the same definition.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:34 AM

989 posts, read 2,962,745 times
I think both states have a fairly even division of conservatives and liberals. Elections seem pretty close recently. Walker came out on top in the east and Dayton on the west, but both elections were extremely close. A few thousand votes one way or the other can really change political landscape. Had Dayton and Walker both lost we may have seen flip flop of what is going on politically in the two states. Same issues are up for discussion, but Dayton has more or less blocked a lot of conservative agenda in MN, where Walker has been pretty successful in getting things passed in his conservative agenda. The recall election really speaks to the division between the two sides in WI and polls seem to indicate it could go either way.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:48 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,883,459 times
On the one hand Wisconsin has the Walker issue and MN doesn't, but on the other hand, WI is much more lax about drinking laws and closing time, and it's easier to "have fun" in WI than MN. They are both progressive, but I couldn't pick an obvious leader.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:31 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,131,251 times
Socially progressive? You mean having a socially liberal populace? I would say Minnesota on that one. However, even Minnesota is conservative once you get out of the immediate Twin Cities (or perhaps neighborhoods of Duluth).

Madison, Wisconsin is a very liberal city, but Wisconsin also has its conservative areas - the Fox Valley is a well-known conservative stronghold.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:46 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,295,551 times
I don't think there's a big difference really. Socially progressive can mean many different things.. are you talking politically like gun restrictions, abortion rights, or more from a community development standpoint (bike paths, good roads, schools, etc?)

Twin Cities from my perspective has the same cultural and political style as Wisconsin.... it's only sports teams that make it seem otherwise. Get outside the cities and go west and it's more like out here (South Dakota) which in itself isn't that foreign either, it's just not as progressive in that there's not as much money to spend on roads and the like. It's not 'upscale' compared to MN and WI.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Twin Cities or Madison. I wouldn't pick Green Bay or Milwaukee personally but Milwaukee has nice suburbs and is close to Chicago.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:16 PM

988 posts, read 1,829,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
First, define what you mean by "socially progressive" so we're all working from the same definition.
Agreed...without splitting hairs, what an (American) liberal defines as "social progress" is oceans apart from what a libertarian (or Libertarian) would define as "social progress".

Old 04-17-2012, 10:09 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,295,551 times
I'd still say at least democrats do have a somewhat progressive mentality, which is more than I can say for republicans. If republicans weren't so hard bent on their war on drugs and really wanted the individual to have more personal freedom, I might be more inclined to support them. But they have a 1950's style value system... they don't really believe in complete social freedom like libertarians.

In the end the gridlock we have now seems to be working.. it will be fun to try to see them save the economy when we continue to outsource real jobs and become paper pushers and office gossipers.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:04 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,715,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
I'd still say at least democrats do have a somewhat progressive mentality, which is more than I can say for republicans. If republicans weren't so hard bent on their war on drugs and really wanted the individual to have more personal freedom, I might be more inclined to support them. But they have a 1950's style value system... they don't really believe in complete social freedom like libertarians.
That's an interesting take on it. Why do you think it is that the Republican party has an influential libertarian wing while the Democratic party does not? That seems to be the gist of this paper from the Cato Institute, a libertarian think tank. http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa580.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota