Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 04:11 PM

23 posts, read 50,230 times

Advertisements

My family journeyed to Two Harbors every summer for many years to escape the ragweed pollen prevalent in other parts of the Midwest. Two Harbors enjoyed pollen-free air owing to the prevailing breezes off the lake and was visited by a lot of hay fever sufferers each year, as was Duluth. There was a club, appropriately called the Hay Fever Club. This was during the 1930s and l940s. Since then, medical science has subdued hay fever symptoms so that running away from pollen is no longer necessary.

A couple years ago I visited TH again and was surprised to find many remembered buildings still standing, though not occupied by the businesses they housed 60 years earlier. The town has developed along the highway and northward apparently, but the old town seemed much as it was. I even found evidence of hay fever campers in the park next to the lake, where flat spots that had been formed to hold house trailers and tents are still discernible. Some old, corroded electrical outlets were still clinging to birch trees, and remnants of concrete and rebar fire pits where we used to roast hot dogs are still hiding in the grass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,866 times
Default Two Harbors

I'm 49 now but was there in 1979&1980. Maybe it was the people I was around back then but I can tell you guy's that I had concerns about this one person. Her name was Penny Stark. She was always being abused by her husbands fist!! and I was told in no uncertain terms to mind my own business. I really felt sorry for this person but was also worried about my wife and her protection. Maybe it was because I am a southern guy. I tried to warn her family but again was told to mind my own business. If anyone knows this person could you let me know if she's alright!! I liked the town,it just seemed to me that during winter peoples stress levels would go way up. Again I'm not trying to shed a bad light on Two Harbors I was just always worried about this person.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:39 PM

493 posts, read 1,447,513 times
We took the excursion train (highly recommended!) from Duluth to Two Harbors late in August last year. The tracks roughly parallel the shoreline highway, and it's a good way to see the scenery without having to worry about driving.

We were dropped off downtown and had three hours on our own. Had a very nice lunch at Black Woods (they have a nice-looking location in Duluth as well) and wandered around a bit before heading back to the railroad station. Nice view of the ore docks and a lighthouse or two from there.

It was a Sunday, and I wouldn't say that the place was silly with tourists, even with the 25 or so who took the train with us. Overall it seemed rather quiet.

The day that we left Duluth for Minneapolis and home to soCal, we had lunch at the New Scenic Cafe, about halfway to Twin Harbors from Duluth. Very nice!

Old 03-20-2010, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,709 times
Noone has mentioned the people of Two Harbors. Yes, it is a very beautiful part of the world, but if you are not from here, you will never be accepted. A very unfriendly place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota