Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 07:52 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,281,411 times

Advertisements

some information on oaks... when growing from an acorn, they can grow nearly as fast as maples while being strong, attractive trees in the process.

Acorns to Oaks: How to Grow Your Own Oak Trees

Can you tell I love planting trees and knowing all this stuff about tree species? Main point here... small trees will almost always catch up and surpass larger trees in height. Buy them small, 5 feet tall if you can find em that small.... certainly not 20 footers with 2 inch thick trunks. Oaks perform best planted on site from acorn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 08:04 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
Trying to decide if we should replace our lost pine tree with another pine. We have a Fraiser (I think) next to the large one we lost. Any suggestions for a replacement. Our yard (and our neighbors) look so naked now with our 30 foot pine and their huge tree gone. The pine was on the northwest corner of our lot and gave a good wind break in the winter so something comparable would be good.

We also lost a 10 foot pine but I think I will put a maple in that spot. Not sure what to do for the other trees we lost either. We had a wonderful canopy of trees enclosing our backyard and now there are big gaps. The one tree has a smaller pine that could fill in that spot (farther back in the yard) but I don't know how large that will get. The other tree we lost was close to a neighbor's tree and they were crowding each other so we may just skip replacing that one. It's so sad.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:25 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Trying to decide if we should replace our lost pine tree with another pine. We have a Fraiser (I think) next to the large one we lost. Any suggestions for a replacement. Our yard (and our neighbors) look so naked now with our 30 foot pine and their huge tree gone. The pine was on the northwest corner of our lot and gave a good wind break in the winter so something comparable would be good.

We also lost a 10 foot pine but I think I will put a maple in that spot. Not sure what to do for the other trees we lost either. We had a wonderful canopy of trees enclosing our backyard and now there are big gaps. The one tree has a smaller pine that could fill in that spot (farther back in the yard) but I don't know how large that will get. The other tree we lost was close to a neighbor's tree and they were crowding each other so we may just skip replacing that one. It's so sad.
I like the White Pine and Balsam Fir. Both make good windbreaks and privacy screens.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:38 AM

198 posts, read 483,348 times
Without a doubt I would get a Princeton Elm. They've only become available in recent years. They have the classical American Elm shape and fast growth rate but with Dutch Elm resistance. The mature ones will drop seeds, but I've never found elm seeds to be nearly as annoying as maple seeds.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I like the White Pine and Balsam Fir. Both make good windbreaks and privacy screens.
I will really miss this tree at Christmas. We used to put up the big C9 lights in this tree. I loved how it looked .

Old 06-23-2012, 12:51 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,669,373 times
Definitely not another ash. It'll be taken down by the ash borer at some point. And based on my experience, avoid silver maple and amur maple. Both are extremely annoying trees. The silver maples grow quickly, but produce an enormous leaf and seed load. The amur maples are like weeds and the pollute the lawn.

I do like Norway maples. Oaks are nice too.

The trees in my yard that I like most are a basswood and a river birch. We also have a red elm that has been fairly well behaved, though a few limbs are debarked for some reason.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:27 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I will really miss this tree at Christmas. We used to put up the big C9 lights in this tree. I loved how it looked .
I'm sorry I liked the C9's quite a bit in the past, and they now come in LED format.
Do you know of a reputable tree nursery that sells those? I've always had mixed luck with planting my own trees.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I'm sorry I liked the C9's quite a bit in the past, and they now come in LED format.
Do you know of a reputable tree nursery that sells those? I've always had mixed luck with planting my own trees.
We now have the C9 LED's. They are no where near as nice though. I was going to go back to the old fashioned ones this year.

We have a lawn guy/landscaper that is a certified arborist as well so we will have him come over and give suggestions.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:45 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,575,577 times
I recommend what I have in my front yard. A sunburst locust. I reall like the light shase it produces. I can still grow sun loving plants all around it.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I recommend what I have in my front yard. A sunburst locust. I reall like the light shase it produces. I can still grow sun loving plants all around it.
That is one of the trees we lost in our back yard. I liked that one too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota