Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2012, 10:12 PM

7 posts, read 30,853 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I recently finalized on an apartment to stay in Rochester MN. It is called Colby Manor Apartments and is located on 2nd Street Southwest.

I was happy seeing the apartment so close to downtown and I even signed the lease.

But now I read somewhere that there was a murder in that area a couple of years ago. I am wondering whether I made a mistake signing the lease

Please tell me how is that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 11:51 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,226 times
Check out Rochester911.com | Crime & Fire Incident Maps and Reports for Rochester, MN and Surrounding Communities and you can see the crime info for that area.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:07 PM

7 posts, read 30,853 times
I did lookup on Rochester911. It still looks relatively safe with only a few thefts and suspicious persons once in a while. However, the only problem is that Rochester911 does not indicate how grave the crimes were.

My other option was the Gates of Rochester apartments on 41st Street NW. It had Target, Best Buy etc nearby and I simply loved that place. However, the management screwed it up and told me that the apartment that they had promised me was not actually available. That's why I had to go with Colby Manor.

Though Rochester911 does give me a lot of information, I still would appreciate if I can get an opinion on how the 2nd Street SW area generally is. I have seen it during the day and there seems to be a lot of activity around that area. However, I am yet to see it at night and I am wondering if given some circumstances, I can walk back from Mayo (my office) to apartment safely late in the night.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:31 PM

176 posts, read 419,999 times
Rochester for the most part is fairly safe.
I live in Kasson 15 miles away and have for 20 plus years. Rochester has a little more crime than it did 10 years ago but is still much safer than many places are.
There probably are better parts of Rochester but I would not be too worried in any part of Rochester.
There are not many murders in Rochester any year and it seems like most places if you are not into gangs or drugs you dont have much to worry about.
It does seem like anytime you hear about a gas station getting robbed in Rochester it usually is the Super America on 2nd St between St Marys and those apartments.
I have some friends who use to live just a few blocks away from those apartments and they never had any problems.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:11 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,350,226 times
I wouldn't worry too much. I haven't really seen or read anything in the news lately that would indicate any of the crimes that occur are violent. How long is your lease? If it's short-term, maybe you can start out at Colby and then when you can, move elsewhere? Depending on what time you leave work, you may be able to take the shuttle from Mayo to St. Mary's and then not have to walk so far. I really don't know any specifics of late for that part of Roch. I think the worst I remember really from that part of town was for a while there were some muggings late at night, but I don't recall anyone getting seriously injured or any murders or anything recently.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:14 PM

6 posts, read 16,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medalofhonour View Post

My other option was the Gates of Rochester apartments on 41st Street NW. It had Target, Best Buy etc nearby and I simply loved that place. However, the management screwed it up and told me that the apartment that they had promised me was not actually available. That's why I had to go with Colby Manor.
I just recently moved to Rochester as well. I heard the management was bad at the gates so I didn't even want to consider that place. Can't say I feel too unsafe in this town.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:10 PM

33 posts, read 115,649 times
I wouldn't recommend the Gates. That's where everyone new to town moves because it seems to be easy to move there, but they all move out once their leases are done. 2nd St SW is a busy street and I've never seen anything bad go down on it at night, especially not near Mayo or St. Mary's. I walk home from Mayo late at night frequently and have never had anything bad happen to me.

Old 08-12-2016, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by medalofhonour View Post
Hello,

I recently finalized on an apartment to stay in Rochester MN. It is called Colby Manor Apartments and is located on 2nd Street Southwest.

I was happy seeing the apartment so close to downtown and I even signed the lease.

But now I read somewhere that there was a murder in that area a couple of years ago. I am wondering whether I made a mistake signing the lease

Please tell me how is that area.

I was wondering how your experience at Colby Manor was. I am looking to move to Rochester in September to work at Mayo for about 8 months.

Is it safe to walk back from Mayo downtown, esp on winter nights?

Old 08-16-2016, 09:52 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,881,514 times
Everywhere in Rochester is safe compared to major cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
View detailed profiles of: