Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 09:23 PM

15 posts, read 68,168 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be moving to Minneapolis area in June. Which areas are best for bi racial families. How is the racial climate? We are concerned with good schools, affordability.etc. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2006, 09:31 AM

19 posts, read 98,609 times
The north side. Much racial diversity. What are good schools? The north schools have many disruptive behavior things to manage so it may be a challenge to get your kids to focus on the math.
The housing costs are around 140K and are many places for sale around here now. And as far as the north side crime reputation goes some areas are better than others here north. And there is crime hotspots south too.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:16 AM

9 posts, read 51,095 times
Smile for bi racial family's move

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBrewer View Post
The north side. Much racial diversity. What are good schools? The north schools have many disruptive behavior things to manage so it may be a challenge to get your kids to focus on the math.
The housing costs are around 140K and are many places for sale around here now. And as far as the north side crime reputation goes some areas are better than others here north. And there is crime hotspots south too.
Everyone on this web forum has naysayed the north side as being crime ridden and not a good area. I wouldn't recommend it to any family and certainly not just because you are bi-racial. Minnesota is very white, Minneapolis is much more diverse and you don't have to live in the bad neighborhoods to get that. I would try the south side of minneapolis, longfellow, powderhorn for more diversity and not so much ghetto. It is also a more progressive area with people with many different less traditional family types moving there.
The houses will not be $140 K - more like $240 k and up and older housing. Just an idea!

Old 11-14-2006, 12:04 PM

19 posts, read 98,609 times
The south side/uptown area has more bars, restaurants and general nightlife. They also have those murders and robberies too. lots of money too be intercepted, it is a high market area. When the news reports bad stuff in this city,if it happens over north the first thing mentioned is, "oh we had another murder,etc happen at that north Minneapolis again" , But when bad crime happens over south they give the address area that sometimes does not include "south" in it.
I would buy a house too in the uptown area if I could afford it. But not because it is safer than the north side.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:44 PM

213 posts, read 1,087,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagenunn View Post
My family and I will be moving to Minneapolis area in June. Which areas are best for bi racial families. How is the racial climate? We are concerned with good schools, affordability.etc. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
I don't think you'll have any problems in or around Mpls just b/c you're a bi-racial family. Minnesota is much more progressive and accepting than other states I've lived in.

Personally, I'd look around Uptown, if I could afford it. If you are interested in a suburban lifestyle, check out Fridley, New Brighton, Bloomington, Coon Rapids. Those areas are growing more and more diverse.

Old 11-15-2006, 11:57 AM

7 posts, read 45,183 times
I say stay out of the cities area as far as crime is involved. Move 100 miles south to Austin...great city, great diversity and good jobs plus low cost housing.

Old 11-15-2006, 01:04 PM

Location: Lakeville, MN - 4th nicest place in the nation to raise a family
285 posts, read 1,178,790 times
Default Diversity in the cities

If you're in the cities or the suburbs, I really don't think you're going to have a problem. The Twin Cities area is more progressive than any other area in the midwest with the exception of Chicago, perhaps.

Welcome!

Old 11-15-2006, 02:26 PM

213 posts, read 1,087,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldhopes View Post
I say stay out of the cities area as far as crime is involved. Move 100 miles south to Austin...great city, great diversity and good jobs plus low cost housing.
Yeah, but what else does Austin have?! Really, if these folks are looking for a metropolitan area, Austin doesn't compare to the Twin Cities.

Old 11-15-2006, 02:49 PM

Location: Lakeville, MN - 4th nicest place in the nation to raise a family
285 posts, read 1,178,790 times
Default Austin has it all...

Austin is down there a ways, and the goods & services are not great. I drive down to Faribault once in a blue moon because they have a somali grocer where I can buy whole spices CHEAP (its called the Banadhir, I think). If you see Ali behind the counter, tell him I said 'eskawaran'.

I think they turn the electricity off at 8PM in Austin, not sure. If you're into small town life and don't require all the cities can offer, Austin may be a good bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowlandcook View Post
Yeah, but what else does Austin have?! Really, if these folks are looking for a metropolitan area, Austin doesn't compare to the Twin Cities.

Old 11-15-2006, 05:10 PM

15 posts, read 68,168 times
Thank you everyone, I was a little scared but I feel much more at ease now. I am actually excited about the move! We have been looking in Apple Valley, Burnsville, Rosemount as far as housing prices and size. It seems that school dist 196 is a selling point. It is mentioned alot in the descriptions. Any input? And 1 more thing, do minnesotans hate the Minnesota nice campaign or embrace it? Just wondering?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota