Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2012, 04:28 PM

12 posts, read 26,964 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody,
I will be finishing my welder certification this next summer. After ten years in corrections, I finally had enough and decided to make a career change. I am contemplating moving to Hibbing, as a company there known as L&M Radiator/MESABI seems to always have openings for welders. Does anyone here work for them, and if so, do you enjoy it? Also, many previous posts have commented that the Iron Range is generally hostile toward outsiders. Is this true, or just based on people's opinion? I would like to know, as I have had job offers from places out in Wyoming already, after I graduate. I have been to Ely on multiple occasions to go kayaking/fishing in the Boundary Waters, so I am aware of the climate and REALLY enjoy it! Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 09:30 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,352,029 times
I lived in Hibbing for a short time. I personally would not describe the people as being "hostile" to outsiders. I felt they were not very friendly towards us. We would go to the grocery store and be borderline treated rudely. However, we would go to Walmart, and wouldn't get the same treatment. It didn't take long before some of the people at Walmart were friendly towards us as they recognized us as regular customers. Our children were very small at the time, so we didn't get out to socialize too much. My husband was never treated negatively when he was working in Hibbing for a small local company. I really think Hibbing and the entire Iron Range is a place you just have to be prepared for not the most welcoming experience if you move there. We always preferred visiting Grand Rapids, which was just outside what is considered the Iron Range, as people were always much friendlier there. Hibbing is also nice as it is about midway between Virginia and Grand Rapids, which both have what you may not find in Hibbing and are easier to get to than driving all the way into Duluth.

Old 11-29-2012, 03:01 PM

17 posts, read 24,233 times
Hi! I lived in Duluth, Minnesota until I was 20, and then I moved to Hibbing for 8 years . I personally loved it for the time being. Iron Rangers are a different breed of people (not bad mind you). They are for the most part very hard working, and most are proud of their community and where they have come from. It seems to me that the older men and women that are called Iron Rangers take pride in being called one and that title has to be earned. However, this is my take on my experience there. Not all people are like that. I have many friends who still live in Hibbing, and they are a great group of welcoming people. Like most areas you move, you will find rude and nice people. I also know a few people that work at L&M Radiator in Hibbing and they like it. They have earned some good money working there. I too would suggest you try out Grand Rapids; it is a wonderful town full of charm! If you can, I would try to visit the area first and see how you like it. Best Luck and please keep us informed on what you decide!
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 06-09-2014, 04:30 PM

12 posts, read 26,964 times
Thanks. I actually just got offered the position at L&M. My HR contact informed me that many guys there commute in from Virginia or Grand Rapids. Are there areas in those two towns (or Hibbing itself) that I should avoid as far as residency? I have been in Hibbing a couple times in the last month and could not really find any questionable areas, but did not have an opportunity to visit GR or Virginia. Thanks again for the input!

Old 06-11-2014, 11:31 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,607,055 times
I've always liked Hibbing, it's a pretty, clean, really interesting town. And housing is VERY inexpensive! As you have heard, the older people won't be friendly towards you as an outsider, but many of the younger people will be friendly. There's lots to do in the area, especially if you're into outdoor activities. I do NOT recommend Chisholm or Virginia as a place to live - you'd do better in Hibbing itself, or go westward to one of the little towns between Grand Rapids and Hibbing. (That stretch over the bridge between Hibbing and Chisholm is ugly in the winter; I really don't like driving it.) Things are much more prosperous in the Grand Rapids area. Now that they finally finished messing with 169 it's a pretty good road and even in the dead of winter wouldn't be an awful commute. But maybe live in Hibbing itself so you don't have to do much of a daily drive, and just explore the area on your days off.

I've driven by that radiator place a jillion times and wondered about it. It doesn't look like much from the outside; it's interesting that they're hiring. The mines need welders, too. I'd say go for it - unless the other job you're considering is near Sheridan, WY, which is wonderful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota