Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 02:45 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times

Advertisements

from a current thread: responses on what you think of for Minnesota...

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...h-state-5.html
  • Fargo
  • Fargo
  • Nice people with funny accents
  • Weird accents
  • Mall of America
  • man, I thought Canada had a lot of beavers!!! very little tiny creek here has a few. See that little river we just crossed, it's the freakin Mississippi!!!
  • Mayo Clinic
  • Lakes
  • Young people
  • cold and a big mall
  • Mall of America
  • Fargo
  • That poor lady that needs to be institutionalized (you know who)
  • far away
  • Funny accents, something like a Canadian fur trapper or Norwegian fisherman
  • Blonds
  • Cold
  • No particular association
  • Cute accents
  • Hockey
  • too cold
  • Amish
  • Lakes
  • Underground Tunnels
  • Cold
  • Positive place- excellent for the arts
  • stupid voters (Ventura? Franken? WTF?)
  • Snow, the Twin Cities, lakes, wild rice, Minnesota Twins, Prince, Garrison Keillor, large Scandinavian-American population, Lutheran Church, home to nation's largest Hmong and Somali populations, Kirby Puckett, Mary Tyler Moore, Jessica Biel.
  • Lakes, everywhere
  • Prince, funny but friendly accents, vikings
To summarize: cold, wet, funny-talking, mall roaming, idiots....

maybe it's a good thing we stopped subsidizing Hollywood film-making here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 03:13 PM

127 posts, read 192,538 times
Kudos for putting together a summary.

Highly subjective, but I would score this as 11-9-10 (11-positive, 9-negative, 10-neutral).

I will have to take a closer look at the thread, but I'm guessing there are a lot of states doing far worse. For those that think that it's a cold wasteland with no redeeming value, I don't want them living here and I don't even care if they never visit.

Fargo was a brilliant characterization of the populace (based in the 80s). That awful movie with Renee Zelwegger based in New Ulm was far more offensive.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:18 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,507,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wherespankakehouse? View Post
Kudos for putting together a summary.

Highly subjective, but I would score this as 11-9-10 (11-positive, 9-negative, 10-neutral).

I will have to take a closer look at the thread, but I'm guessing there are a lot of states doing far worse. For those that think that it's a cold wasteland with no redeeming value, I don't want them living here and I don't even care if they never visit.

Fargo was a brilliant characterization of the populace (based in the 80s). That awful movie with Renee Zelwegger based in New Ulm was far more offensive.
Have you seen Contagion? it made MN look very depressing.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:20 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,714,614 times
Walter Matthau ice fishing with Jack Lemmon.

Old 03-04-2013, 03:27 PM

166 posts, read 194,658 times
My girlfriend,her son and her sister moved from NJ to New Prague, MN about a year ago. They all love it. She does not have to drive in it and her son can work from home and sister doesnt drive at all. Me personally hate winter here in NJ and I am sure I wouldnt like it better in MN. She praises MN and always wants me to live there but TOO COLD for me. The prices there are fine, shopping thrift stores and such is great according to them. Countryish sounds very nice also but that DANG COLD is not for me. (NJ is not either)..as the song goes WISHIN AND HOPING FL for me SOON.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Fargo was a brilliant characterization of the populace (based in the 80s).

**caricature

Old 03-04-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Was not aware this movie existed. I will have to check it out.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:42 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,671,879 times
I think it's hilarious that Prince gets any mention. The guy hasn't been musically relevant in about 30 years.

The other puzzling thing on that list: "young people."

Old 03-05-2013, 12:18 PM

993 posts, read 1,768,149 times
Quote:
Was not aware this movie existed. I will have to check it out.
I wouldn't recommend it unless you're into depressing movies (not drama depressing just literally depressing).

Old 03-05-2013, 12:53 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,052,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I agree that the subject matter of the movie is intrinsically depressing, however, it does at least portray Minneapolis as a major city. This stands in stark contrast to the usual pop culture portrayal of Minneapolis, and Minnesota in general, as an unsophisticated chunk of flyover tundra--a sentiment clearly indicated by much of Ghengis's list
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota