Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 03:44 AM

10 posts, read 42,378 times

Advertisements

Is religion an important part in people's lives in Minnesota?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 08:43 AM

4,362 posts, read 6,534,302 times
Still big in rural MN but there are plenty not participating. Is it 50/50? Hard to tell.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:42 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,479,664 times
There definitely are a lot of conservatives. Look at the last legislature that was run by the Tea Party. Little done except to try to deny marriage to same sex couples. Not sure if they tried to impose burdens on pregnant women, but there's a history. Tim Pawlenty was the governor who represented social conservatives.

At the same time, the defeat of the constitution amendments was the backlash of people whose religion isn't conservative. So the state has enough of those to defeat evangelical politics.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:31 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,741,991 times
My experience is with Minneapolis. I'd say that, compared to other places we've lived, it's somewhere in the middle; I know many people who attend religious services, but they don't tend to talk about or be pushy about it. Keep in mind that for many (not all, but many) Minneapolis residents they are religious but not at all in a socially conservative way. Manhy local churches are flying rainbow flags and the faith-based community was very active in beating the gay marriage amendment, for example. I know a lot of religious people and they are VERY liberal. I think that their liberal politics align with their religious beliefs.

And of course there's also a growing and very observant Muslim population. I think in polls they are the group that are the most likely to attend regular religious services.

No one ever asks me about my religion or whether or not I am religious. I don't think that's generally something that people ask around here. (a stark contrast to when we lived in Virginia and people were always asking us where we went to church -- assuming, of course, that we were both Christian and that we were actively attending a church. That was a big cultural shock, as that does not happen in Minneapolis.)

Old 03-15-2013, 08:34 AM

987 posts, read 3,819,615 times
People will mention church and if you show only a slight interest they won't bring it up again, the exception being when discussing which churches have the best lutefisk dinners during the holidays.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:07 AM

127 posts, read 337,538 times
The Lutefisk dinner debate is the cause of many heated exchanges and grudges in this state. Many a night were spent on the couch when a man dared to say the First Lutheran dinner was better than the Nativity Lutheran's dinner that his wife went to as a child. Just nod and agree if you want peace at Christmas.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:46 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,236,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
My experience is with Minneapolis. I'd say that, compared to other places we've lived, it's somewhere in the middle; I know many people who attend religious services, but they don't tend to talk about or be pushy about it.

No one ever asks me about my religion or whether or not I am religious. I don't think that's generally something that people ask around here. (a stark contrast to when we lived in Virginia and people were always asking us where we went to church -- assuming, of course, that we were both Christian and that we were actively attending a church. That was a big cultural shock, as that does not happen in Minneapolis.)
I agree with this. I don't think I have ever been asked where I go to church while living the majority of my life in Minnesota. When I moved to North Carolina it was culture shock to have everyone ask where I go to church or invite me to their church. People even brought up church while at work in the Bank of America headquarters, I always thought that the office was a bad place to bring up the religion of coworkers.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:07 PM

237 posts, read 440,694 times
I have a friend here in the metro who is going on a personal crusade again established religion (hes a social democrat) Me and most of my other compartiots tend to lean to the more conservative side though you would not be able to tell if you met us. I am more an old testament follower myself.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:56 AM

192 posts, read 451,185 times
Compared to Seattle, Saint Paul is a very religious place. I find after a year living in Minnesota, compared to Washington State, Minnesota, is much more socially conservative overall and fiscally liberal whereas Washington State is much more socially liberal and fiscally conservative.

Last edited by glendog; 03-19-2013 at 11:24 AM..

Old 03-19-2013, 11:16 AM

5,147 posts, read 7,479,664 times
I think the population is more rooted. Those who are not rooted are the most likely to seek other places. What is left behind is dedicated and ready for the hardships. That being said, eastern Washington is a whole different place from the Seattle area. I'd say it is easily as conservative as Greater Minnesota. Maybe not as religious, but very resistant to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota