Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 02:01 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,746,974 times

Advertisements

Minnesota State Hwy patrol advises to NEVER swerve to avoid hitting a deer.

Driller1's post confirms their warnings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 12:28 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,217,238 times
Yes, never swerve. I was on a trip upnorth with a friend and was reading an article in "O" magazine called "What to do when..." One of them was "What to do when hitting a deer". The article said more people are hurt when they try to swerve from deer, going into ditches or into oncoming traffic in the other lane, or braking and hitting the windshield.

I was reading this to my friend as we were driving at dusk and she said, "I don't care, I swerve for deer all the time and I'm not going to hit them!" and I kept teasing her saying "Oprah says to HIT the deer, don't swerve" We good humoredly bickered back and forth for a few minutes about it and a very very large deer with a large rack of antlers appeared, jumping right out in front of us. My friend held her ground and the deer went over the windshield from right to left, completely somersaulting from impact and running off into the woods, with three more following him. "There! I HIT it!" she said with an unhappy vengeance.

Just the way she said it, like "There! are you happy now?" and how affected she was made me burst into laughter. We were very careful the rest of the way home to the point of tripling our driving time, going very slowly so as not to be surprised again. I said by the time we make it home we better check the bumper for a bloody hook stump because were going so slow anyone could catch us!

Old 10-20-2013, 04:27 PM

242 posts, read 854,324 times
Ugh. I'm facing this very thing right now. I'm driving from northern Minnesota to the Twin Cities area once a week for interviews. I am only doing my driving in daylight hours and will extend my trip if needed to avoid night time driving. I've hit a deer once, probably 10 years ago. I was in my Toyota Corolla, going approximately 40-45 miles an hour. I was on winter break and was going into work for a few hours. The roads were icy so I was going slower than the speed limit. There was a huge black truck on my tail and I was grumbling to myself for them following me. I saw the first deer and forgot momentarily that deer are never alone. The second sprinted right into my car. I pulled over to asses the damage. Only a minor crack to my bumper. I couldn't find the deer anywhere until I happened to look under my car and found the deer. It was a small doe. I was very lucky that this truck didn't end up on top of me. I didn't swerve. Just went right into it.

My sister just totaled her 2008 Subaru Impreza back in August. She was driving back to school around 8:00 and it was dark. She was going at least 60 miles an hour and the damage to her car made it look like she hit a rhino. Fortunately, she and my nephew were okay but it is still scary. I hate deer.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:47 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,217,238 times
BorderGirl hope you don't hit any more deer. It's awful. But the worst is at dusk so maybe it will be darker soon. Yes always look for the second deer and all the rest.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:24 AM

17 posts, read 28,700 times
You're more likely to hit a deer in Iowa or WI in rural areas than in MN

Moose on the other hand

Old 10-24-2013, 07:34 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyheiden View Post
You're more likely to hit a deer in Iowa or WI in rural areas than in MN

Moose on the other hand
you're probably more likely to hit a moose researcher than a moose in Minnesota

as far as white-tail population estimates...

Wisc 1.4 million
Minn 1.0 million
Iowa 200 thousand

Old 10-24-2013, 12:44 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
you're probably more likely to hit a moose researcher than a moose in Minnesota

as far as white-tail population estimates...

Wisc 1.4 million
Minn 1.0 million
Iowa 200 thousand
For whatever reason, Iowa ranks very high (ahead of Minnesota) for per capita deer-vehicle collisions. My guess is that most of the deer population there lives very close to roads, whereas there are good-sized portions of northern Minnesota that are relatively isolated from roads.
U.S. DEER-VEHICLE COLLISIONS FALL 7 PERCENT

Minnesota is still fairly high in the rankings. Odds are really low in Hawaii, though!

Last edited by Unsettomati; 10-24-2013 at 12:54 PM..

Old 10-24-2013, 01:43 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
For whatever reason, Iowa ranks very high (ahead of Minnesota) for per capita deer-vehicle collisions. My guess is that most of the deer population there lives very close to roads, whereas there are good-sized portions of northern Minnesota that are relatively isolated from roads.
U.S. DEER-VEHICLE COLLISIONS FALL 7 PERCENT

Minnesota is still fairly high in the rankings. Odds are really low in Hawaii, though!
I believe that the Iowans are aiming for the deer and will in fact vere off into the ditches and woods on purpose to pick up some extra vittles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota