Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 07:20 PM

638 posts, read 3,123,844 times

Advertisements

I haven't bought a winter jacket for a few years; but because I've lost a bunch of weight over the last 1 1/2 years, I've been looking for a nice winter jacket that I could shovel snow or go sledding or hiking in (that may be a slight exaggeration! ) that I can throw into a washing machine if I get it dirty.

Since I've nearly hit an idiot who dresses all in black and then goes out walking his black dog very early in the AM -neither dog nor man having any colors or reflectors on- I don't want a black jacket and I don't want a white one either. Tan is also NOT my favorite color. My last wish is something to keep my backside warm; I certainly don't need fur or all of the puffy quilting that seems popular this year.

I've been to Burlington, Marshall's, Kohl's, T.J. Max, also the Mall, and out to the outlet stores at Albertville.

All I'm looking for is something like a car coat in any color that isn't tan, black or white, no fur or bulky quilting, that I can throw into the washer and dryer if needed. All I seem to be finding are tons (and row upon row!) of the exact coats I DON'T want! Why are there so many wool coats out there this year?

Has anyone seen anyplace that I can find what I call "regular" winter jackets for women (in normal sizes) out there? If so, please post where I can find them.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 09:52 PM

214 posts, read 691,749 times
Try K-Mart, or Wal-Mart.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:56 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Check at the sporting goods stores around town or Land's End, Eddie Bauer or LL Bean. I have a Columbia jacket that would work well for you. JC Penney usually carries Columbia too.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:12 AM

443 posts, read 2,135,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLee View Post
I haven't bought a winter jacket for a few years; but because I've lost a bunch of weight over the last 1 1/2 years, I've been looking for a nice winter jacket that I could shovel snow or go sledding or hiking in (that may be a slight exaggeration! ) that I can throw into a washing machine if I get it dirty.

Since I've nearly hit an idiot who dresses all in black and then goes out walking his black dog very early in the AM -neither dog nor man having any colors or reflectors on- I don't want a black jacket and I don't want a white one either. Tan is also NOT my favorite color. My last wish is something to keep my backside warm; I certainly don't need fur or all of the puffy quilting that seems popular this year.

I've been to Burlington, Marshall's, Kohl's, T.J. Max, also the Mall, and out to the outlet stores at Albertville.

All I'm looking for is something like a car coat in any color that isn't tan, black or white, no fur or bulky quilting, that I can throw into the washer and dryer if needed. All I seem to be finding are tons (and row upon row!) of the exact coats I DON'T want! Why are there so many wool coats out there this year?

Has anyone seen anyplace that I can find what I call "regular" winter jackets for women (in normal sizes) out there? If so, please post where I can find them.

Thanks.
Hello, I know you already tried TJ MAXX but I just got an awesome winter coat yesterday. I am in Maine so they may not have them in stock there but it's maybe worth looking at other places. It's a really nice Colombia Jacket, cream in color with a fur trimmed hood. The tag saud $150.00 but it was $59.99 at TJ MAxx..

Have you thought about going to the MOA and looking around there?

Good luck and congrats on loosing a lot of weight!!!

Old 11-22-2007, 07:16 AM

27 posts, read 124,094 times
I would second the suggestion to try LL Bean or Lands End. They both list ratings for their winter coats so you know how much cold they can handle. I just got one from Lands End and it's a super warm one (can handle up to 20 below) and it can go in the washing machine.

Good luck!

T

Old 11-22-2007, 08:01 PM

Thanks for the suggestions; I'll see if I dare brave the crowds this weekend. But as far as the MOA; I *really* try hard to avoid it most of the time. I DO have an Eddie Bauer gift certificate from last Christmas that I haven't used because the store in Rosedale closed in January; maybe it's time to find an EB store!

Old 11-23-2007, 07:58 PM

41 posts, read 129,004 times
I found this one on landsend.com. I tried to copy the picture but it didn't work. It's a Women's Chelsea Jacket. Shown in brown but there are several different colors to choose from. It's rated -15/15 degrees farenheit.

"Don't you love it when a jacket is warmer than it looks? Though its crisp good looks and feminine shape might fool you, the Chelsea Jacket is insulated with exclusive PolarThin®, our own premium synthetic down. And we've paid as much attention to the details as we have to the warmth. Savvy touches like a quilted metallic lining, detachable faux-fur collar, functional throat latch and cinchable waist drawcord elevate the style; a waterproof shell, two snap-close front pockets with handwarmers, an interior pocket and adjustable snap cuffs keep it practical.
Jacket is slightly shaped with princess seams. Length falls to just below hips. Fits over a sweater. Waterproof 100% nylon shell, polyester lining. Dry clean faux-fur collar; machine wash coat. Imported.

$99.50-$109.50 $99.50Item # 21573-5A78

Hope that this helps!

Old 11-24-2007, 12:51 AM

Thanks, chani29f! THAT is pretty much what I'm looking for (minus the faux-fur collar)!

Old 11-24-2007, 10:50 AM

41 posts, read 129,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLee View Post
Thanks, chani29f! THAT is pretty much what I'm looking for (minus the faux-fur collar)!
Great! Sounds like the collar is removable if you can wash the rest of the jacket. I bought the perfect coat that had faux fur which was attached with snaps. I removed the collar and wrist furs & the coat worked & looked great without them! Hope it works out for you. :-)

Old 11-11-2008, 11:47 AM

1 posts, read 4,187 times
I think the jacket that is perfect for all your needs is the one on [url=http://www.alphajacketsonline.com]Alpha Jackets Online[/url] called the Kara in the woman's section. It comes in black (which I know you don't want), white, gun metal grey and olive so you won't end up with a color you don't want. It will be great for sledding and any other outdoor activity including shoveling snow! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota