Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 08:11 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,927,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
Well, ski resorts close down because it gets so cold in Minnesota. Seems like it happens several times at least each winter, or so.

Spirit Mountain in Duluth was just closed because of the cold.
Got to draw the line somewhere. Some of it probably has to do with liability. I can see why a place of business such as this shuts down for severe cold. Just because people say they can handle the cold doesn't mean they should spend too much time in it. Places like Spirit Mountain being closed is protecting people. It does suck though because Duluth got a significant amount of snow this December.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 08:14 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,745,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that it's because the people who stay away from ski resorts when it gets really cold aren't the same people who say they don't mind how cold it gets.
or maybe the ones boating about being active outside in bitterly cold weather are lying ?

Old 12-31-2013, 03:44 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that it's because the people who stay away from ski resorts when it gets really cold aren't the same people who say they don't mind how cold it gets.
No, they probably close so those people DON'T come to the slopes. When it's -50 windchill and you add flying down a ski hill to that, creating more wind, it's going to feel like -75 or colder..it's just not safe to be out in that kind of weather...

Old 12-31-2013, 07:41 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,626,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
No, they probably close so those people DON'T come to the slopes. When it's -50 windchill and you add flying down a ski hill to that, creating more wind, it's going to feel like -75 or colder..it's just not safe to be out in that kind of weather...
Yes, but that doesn't have anything to do with the post that I was responding to. The poster to whom I was replying was talking about ski hills complaining about lost revenue because people don't come out as much when it's cold. You're talking about ski hills closing because it's too cold. Two completely different conversations; I'm not even discussing that.

Or wasn't, anyway.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:51 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,626,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
or maybe the ones boating about being active outside in bitterly cold weather are lying ?
Could be. In fact, some of them probably are. According to the law of probability, some of them certainly are.

But unless you can somehow demonstrate that at least some of the people who avoid the ski slopes when it's cold are people who also say they don't avoid skiing when it's cold, you're not making the argument it sounds like you think you're making. So I guess I'm not sure what your point is.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:37 AM

651 posts, read 862,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
wow, -20F is not terribly cold, weather like that would shut us down here in much of the south.

Come on man. -20F isn't terribly cold??

I dare you to stand outside for 1 hr without any clothes.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:39 AM

651 posts, read 862,718 times
Just don't live in tower, MN

Yea, it's not often??

Old 12-31-2013, 02:20 PM

150 posts, read 382,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icicles View Post
Come on man. -20F isn't terribly cold??

I dare you to stand outside for 1 hr without any clothes.

Yeah go onto the shores of Lake Superior with just a bathing suit and a beach lawn chair to go "sunbathing".

Old 12-31-2013, 02:23 PM

150 posts, read 382,116 times
Quote:
Well, first, it's important to remember that it rarely gets that cold. Many winters, even northern Minnesota may have only a dozen nights like that, and the Twin Cities none at all. So that makes it a lot easier, because you don't have to adjust for it very often.

And it's also useful to note that these are overnight lows - during even the deepest cold snaps, it's only that cold for a few hours in the middle of the night. By the time the sun comes up and people are out and about, it's usually much more tolerable.

But, to answer the question - you just dress for it. If you're wearing the right clothes, you don't even notice it. Keep in mind also that when you live up there, you're used to it, and it really doesn't seem that bad. Scoop someone up from downtown Miami and parachute him into Duluth when it's 20 below zero, and it's going to be one hell of a shock to his system. But when you've spent the whole month of December adjusting to temperatures in the 20s, then the teens, and then the single digits, by the time it starts hitting 10 or 20 below zero it really isn't that much of an adjustment.

See that's me. Southern California born and raised. I'm cold even in 30 degree weather.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:33 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabe View Post
Yeah go onto the shores of Lake Superior with just a bathing suit and a beach lawn chair to go "sunbathing".
sounds like fun but don't forget the surfboard

Surfing Duluth In February - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota