Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 12:55 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times

Advertisements

No one cares about Rochester getting overpopulated. It already is.

Just don't go south or east unless you are only visiting for a day or two. Urbanites should stay in urban areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 01:10 PM

431 posts, read 449,417 times
Lol

Old 07-31-2015, 01:16 PM

100 posts, read 122,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
About 45 minutes south on 52 to the Root River, great for trout fishing.

The National Trout Center is in Preston. National Trout Center Take a look under their "All things trout" and "Currents" tabs for info about fishing in that area.

Yes, Rochester is on the western edge of the Driftless. But ssshhhhh - don't tell anyone else about this area; we don't want it to get overpopulated, overvisited and spoiled and it is getting a little too well known. I never told you about it and everyone else reading this: you are growing sleeeepy, you have forgotten what you just read, and your only desire is to go to Minneapolis and stay there.
...I'm driftlessing off to sleep...I know nothing...

Old 07-31-2015, 01:42 PM

80 posts, read 96,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobulaboobula View Post
Greetings all,

I'm thinking of relocating and I'm interested in learning all about the Rochester MN area. What's Rochester like? Who are the major employers in Rochester, other than the Mayo Clinic? Is Rochester a good place to retire? What's the economy like? Are there many jobs available? What is the tax base for the area? What about the surrounding towns, what are they like?

When I think about Minnesota, I think about lots of lakes, harsh winters, and that's about it. Sorry, I've never been there. However, I have spent many years in Germany, so I know about winter and all that includes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Rochester is a great place to raise a family or retire. It has been voted as one of the best places to live in the US multiple times. If you're expecting a city with lots of nightlife, you may be disappointed, although the downtown has definitely started to become much more vibrant the last few years. There are many beautiful state parks in SE Minnesota, and some excellent bike trails such as the Douglas Trail and the Root River Trail. There are many job openings in the healthcare sector, as well as some in technology and hospitality. There are many nice small towns around Rochester-Lanesboro, for instance. Winters are cold and summers are warm to hot. It's easy to get outside and enjoy the snow with the abundance of cross-country skiing trails and decent skiing at Welch Village. The Twin Cities are just a 1-1.5 hour drive from Rochester, so there are plenty options for weekend day trips. Hope you find what you're looking for either here or somewhere else!

Old 07-31-2015, 02:00 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Schroeder View Post

next biggest employer, IBM - 2000 employees.
That is just a guess/estimate as IBM does not like to share their numbers and they are constantly laying off and even do that with contractors now when that wasn't so much the case. Rumor has it they plan to be gone from Roch completely in the not too distant future, at least with IBMers.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
That is just a guess/estimate as IBM does not like to share their numbers and they are constantly laying off and even do that with contractors now when that wasn't so much the case. Rumor has it they plan to be gone from Roch completely in the not too distant future, at least with IBMers.
I guess my point was just, there's one massive employer and a bunch of small employers and it's never going to get too crowded. You could add 20 more IBMs and it still wouldn't be crowded. However my grandpa is from around Elgin/Plainview and I know the attitude of such people. We'd drive 40 minutes into town to go out to eat but if we had to wait 5 minutes in line he'd be angry about how crowded it was and we'd have to just drive home. Basically any amount of civilization is "over crowded."

Old 07-31-2015, 02:24 PM

My point of the RAEDI link had nothing to do with overcrowding, just a link to the employers with the largest numbers and IBM is one you cannot put a number on anymore. That's all, nothing more, nothing about population, overcrowding, the growth of the city, etc.

Old 08-01-2015, 04:00 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
I'm the one who said it was flat. I drive from the west to get there and I always think of it as flat. And that's not for lack of traveling. I've been all over the state.

I chuckled at the statement that northern MN is flat. Just got back from the North Shore. Guess it depends on where you are. It's plenty flat in Morehead.

To satisfy, would you settle for rolling prairie?

Old 08-03-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I'm the one who said it was flat. I drive from the west to get there and I always think of it as flat. And that's not for lack of traveling. I've been all over the state.

I chuckled at the statement that northern MN is flat. Just got back from the North Shore. Guess it depends on where you are. It's plenty flat in Morehead.

To satisfy, would you settle for rolling prairie?

Nobody said Northern Minnesota is flat. I commented on the stars you see in Northern Minnesota as compared to the stars we saw in FLAT NW Texas. If you want to see flat, you should see NW Texas. THAT is flat. (Just to clarify also, it is Moorhead.)

Old 08-03-2015, 11:57 AM

Northern MN is flat until you get to Lake Superior. Rochester is flat, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota