Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 09:59 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,274,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseSky View Post
I moved here to make a living (Florida pays pathetic wages and benefits, plus has a high cost-of-living). I've been here for two years, and it was a great decision. The winters aren't that bad since I park in a garage, and the winters here are much shorter than the summers in Florida. I'm one of those weirdos who loves cold weather so that works for me! Plus, life without the leaves changing is just sad. Good luck in SW Florida, I think it's an awful place but to each his own.

It was very annoying to have one day a week where I can't buy wine. Glad that's over! Another dopey religiously based mumbo-jumbo law dies.
Thanks for your opinions on living in Florida! I totally agree with you about the wages, and possibly the benefits. I'd work for half the pay, or less in Florida. I can't afford to take that kind of pay cut! To me, living in Florida is only acceptable during the retirement years, although the quality of health care in Florida probably is lower than Minnesota. I'm not sure why the cost of living is high, unless you live near the coast. After living in Minnesota over 60 years, I'm fed up with the Minnesota winters, although the winters are no where near as bad in the past 20 years. The winters in Minnesota were much more severe 20 to 60 years ago. I'm just less tolerant of the cold and snow. There are people that do love the cold and snow, but they are a very tiny minority of Minnesota's population.

I agree with you about the Sunday liquor sales. There's no reason to ban the liquor sales on Sundays. Now, we need to give the auto businesses the freedom to choose to be open on Sundays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 11:57 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Well, I do like to think that our somewhat moderate decisions born of down-to-earth immigrants have been part of the reason that Minnesota has traditionally had a good quality of life.

I understand the reasoning that people may use to encourage a looser set of reins on entertainment and consumption. But when I look at other states that attract people based on leisurely lifestyle choices I see a range of problems that MN doesn't yet have. Moderation in all things is good. As others here have said those who are determined to party will find a way even though we don't have to promote it.

Years ago when I still attended sports events in the Twin Cities I remember being surprise by the advertisements surrounding the ball field. Alcohol, tobacco (and banks.) I thought what a mixed message that is. Sports and drugs.

Today we've come a long way in recognizing the dangers of encouraging smoking but alcohol is actually costing the state more money (and killing more of us) yet we continue to promote and expand the message to drink. This is counterintuitive behavior.

We even changed the bar closing hours when we held the convention here so our lawmakers would have time to drink before they went to bed. If you think about that for a minute - Please stay up late and use a mood-altering substance before you go back to making political choices for me - you can understand why we have such unruly and unreasonable behavior in our legislative offices.

I'd like to see all political choices based on the health of the population. Because health is the most important issue that faces us all. At present we continue to send unhealthy messages.

Signed: Voice Crying in the Wilderness

Old 08-13-2017, 01:55 PM

510 posts, read 370,532 times
Grocery stores can have what counts as a real liquor store, if it has a separate entrance. Also, grocery stores without a real liquor store have for decades sold weak beer on Sundays. That includes convenience stores.
But if MN wants to compete with WI, they'd have to allow beer to be sold in places like hardware stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
it long ago stopped being a concern of mine as I've learned to purchase my alcohol on other days of the week, would hope they include the provision to allow the grocery stores to be invited to the party
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota