Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2019, 11:46 AM

28 posts, read 30,447 times

Advertisements

Avid cyclist here, and I like my MN rides. I'm trying to find a great, long bike trail for my next MN trip. I'm not looking for little neighborhood trails, or some trail that goes for 3 miles around a like and that's it. Looking for something that really allows you to explore, 30 miles one-way or longer.

In past years, I tried the Mesabi Trail (awesome, scenic, one of my favorite in the entire country), the Paul Bunyan (very nice, long, wooded), the Dakota Trail (really enjoyed, but a little busy in spots), and the Central Lakes trail (i didn't enjoy this as much).

Which should I add to my list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 01:19 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,144,574 times
willard munger trail hinckley to duluth segment? don't ride it the weekend of the MS150
lake wobegon trail
gateway trail although i find it a bit too busy
root river although i imagine that gets very busy

https://www.railstotrails.org/trailb...-in-minnesota/

Old 04-29-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
willard munger trail hinckley to duluth segment? don't ride it the weekend of the MS150
lake wobegon trail
gateway trail although i find it a bit too busy
root river although i imagine that gets very busy

https://www.railstotrails.org/trailb...-in-minnesota/
Thanks. Root River has been on my list. Perhaps a good weekday ride, if it is likely to get busy.

Old 04-29-2019, 05:19 PM

2,105 posts, read 4,602,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyingTheSun View Post
Avid cyclist here, and I like my MN rides. I'm trying to find a great, long bike trail for my next MN trip. I'm not looking for little neighborhood trails, or some trail that goes for 3 miles around a like and that's it. Looking for something that really allows you to explore, 30 miles one-way or longer.

In past years, I tried the Mesabi Trail (awesome, scenic, one of my favorite in the entire country), the Paul Bunyan (very nice, long, wooded), the Dakota Trail (really enjoyed, but a little busy in spots), and the Central Lakes trail (i didn't enjoy this as much).

Isn't there a nice trail that goes to Red Wing and Northfield? Not sure of the name, Cannon Trail? I rode it once many years ago;

What type of riding can you do? How about on old railroad grades? Anything like that?

Old 04-29-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post

What type of riding can you do? How about on old railroad grades? Anything like that?
I ride a road bike, so prefer paved. But it doesn't have to be flat. I'd ride up and down any terrain.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
I ride a road bike, so prefer paved. But it doesn't have to be flat. I'd ride up and down any terrain.
I would highly recommend number 3 and number 7 trails. THese as most of these are dirt roads with little or no car traffic. And scenery all around of the northwoods. My wife and I both ride mountain bike, however, these trails can be ridden by road bikes also.

The firebox loop starts out on dirt road for many miles, then at Firebox Lane road, turns into more rugged ride. IT is fantastic.

https://www.visitcookcounty.com/adve...ng/#vccbikemap

Old 04-29-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
For the best information of trails for bikes in and around the Superior National Forest the best information is to talk with Sawtooth Outfitters.

https://sawtoothoutfitters.com/renta...s/bike-rental/

They have the best info on longest routes, most scenic, most hills, most lakes, best for road type bikes, and so forth. They both ride up there also. It is also a good place to get maps on the area.

Another great place to get forest maps that not many people know about is to contact the DNR up there along the 61 highway and ask them for the off highway maps. THese are fantastic. FOr example the Sawbill Trail on the map will appear as a heavy thin line. Where as the off road atv and mountain bike and lesser roads for more wilderness travel will appear as heavy lines that are dark.

These maps are free and come in a set of 5 or 4 maps. These clearly will show the FR numbers and the back ways of the forest for bikes. A very powerful tool to have.

Another huge route that My wife and I have ridden on mountain bike is the Timber Frerer Trail. It is an old logging road and it goes around 5 lakes all with campsites, and portages connecting the lakes. The trail follows the route around the lakes and can be 26 to 36 miles in length. It is a beautiful trail to ride and a road bike with all terrain tires can handle it well.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:

Another good route to consider is take the Grade from the Sawbill Trail all the way to either Grand Marias, or the Gunflint Trail. Or turn and go to Devil Track and then back to Sawbill. This may be close to 30 miles one way all on forest roads. Hard packed dirt surface.

Also from Lutsen Mountain down to Sawbill Landing is popular route also.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:42 AM

Check this trail out along the shore of Lake Superior

Gitchi-Gami Trail Association

Gooseberry Falls State Park up to Silver Bay.

Old 05-03-2019, 07:12 AM

6,559 posts, read 7,139,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
Another good route to consider is take the Grade from the Sawbill Trail all the way to either Grand Marias, or the Gunflint Trail. Or turn and go to Devil Track and then back to Sawbill. This may be close to 30 miles one way all on forest roads. Hard packed dirt surface.

Also from Lutsen Mountain down to Sawbill Landing is popular route also.
I’ve come across bikers the few times I’ve driven the grade going from Trestle Inn restaurant/bar to Grand Marais. I wouldn’t ride it with a road bike, plus when road is dry, you send a cloud of dust to bikers even when slowing to a crawl when passing. Beautiful driving road though, it’s many steps better then taking 61.

OP, could ride 61 from Two Harbors north. One of my clients biked the entire lake in late 60’s when he said he was young and dumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota