Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2006, 01:30 AM

1 posts, read 4,081 times

Advertisements

I have decided to switch positions and will be relocating to downtown MPLS, at Nicollet Ave and S 5th St. I love the small-town feel and beautiful scenery that Wayzata and Lake Minnetonka have to offer. I have found two homes, one on the N side of Lake Minnetonka, and the other right off of HWY 12 on Long Lake that I love. I was wondering if anyone has any insight as to how long it'd take to commute. Is it beneficial because I'd be able to take 394 the whole way and not have to merge, or is it going to be hell twice a day, m-f? I don't really want to sit in my car for more that 45-50 minutes each way. Any insight would be very beneficial and helpful to me.

My girlfriend has similar hours and is also working downtown, so would carpooling be beneficial?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2006, 03:54 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
394 has a carpool lane so yes, it would be a great idea to carpool. I can't imagine that your commute would be all that long, 30 minutes maybe. It just isn't all that far and even with the worst traffic it won't take 50 minutes, unless there is a really bad accident and they shut down lanes, monster snowstorm, etc.

Old 12-22-2006, 06:17 AM

25 posts, read 26,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
394 has a carpool lane so yes, it would be a great idea to carpool. I can't imagine that your commute would be all that long, 30 minutes maybe. It just isn't all that far and even with the worst traffic it won't take 50 minutes, unless there is a really bad accident and they shut down lanes, monster snowstorm, etc.
She pretty much covered it. You can also pay to use the 394 HOV/Carpool/Lexus lane while driving alone. I made that commute for years from the other side of Lake Minnetonka taking County Road 15 to Highway 12/394. You could try having a morning and evening test commute first.

Old 12-22-2006, 10:11 AM

Location: Lakeville, MN - 4th nicest place in the nation to raise a family
285 posts, read 1,178,688 times
Default Commuting from over there to over here

I used to drive that exact route a lot. From the areas you described, figure 35 minutes in thick rush hour, or 12 minutes w/o traffic.

What a beautiful area over there on the west side!

Robert

Old 12-26-2006, 03:02 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
I think that's one of the nicer areas around the TC too. Beautiful homes. I think Christmas Bay was one of my favorite areas.

One thing you should be aware of is the sun in your eyes going to work and coming home.

Old 02-13-2007, 06:52 PM

17 posts, read 71,477 times
Congratulations! You've picked one of the nicest parts of town and one of the easiest, straightest commutes. Everyone else has covered all the major points: carpool together for free in 394 (heaven help you if you have to PAY to use the MN pass/Mercedes lane), commute time varies between 20 and 30 minutes (or hours in a snowstorm), and watch for the sunset going west in the spring and fall.

Not many other commutes in town can be done on a single highway in a nearly straight line in a dedicated lane. Of course the Lake Minnetonka area is expensive, but it's worth it.

You might also consider the express bus as an alternative. You've got 3 routes to choose from: 672, 674, and 675, and two of them )672 and 674) offer non-stop service from Nicollet Mall to the Wayzata park and ride. Travel time is 20 minutes each way. The 675 is slower, but runs from 5:00 in the morning to midnight, and on weekends and holidays too.

Yes, fares are expensive, but all that gas and parking downtown is pricey too. Most major employers offer MetroPass, a bus/rail pass that give you unlimited rides each month for 30-40% off the cash fares.

Old 03-05-2007, 09:22 AM

75 posts, read 477,059 times
I hope you all don't mind if I change the question slightly. What is traffic like in general around the area?

For example, Eden Prairie to Minneapolis, or Hopkins to Eden Prairie?

We are looking to move out there and get away from Seattle traffic. We like the suburbs for family life and work in tech fields so we'd probably be working downtown or EP (I'm guessing).

Old 03-05-2007, 11:16 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robind View Post
I hope you all don't mind if I change the question slightly. What is traffic like in general around the area?

For example, Eden Prairie to Minneapolis, or Hopkins to Eden Prairie?

We are looking to move out there and get away from Seattle traffic. We like the suburbs for family life and work in tech fields so we'd probably be working downtown or EP (I'm guessing).

I think you will find that Twin Cities traffic is a walk in the park compared to Seattle. Eden Praire to Minneapolis is busy but not stand-still for 2 hour busy. It will take about 20 minutes or so during the worst traffic and about 10-15 minutes without traffic (from 494 and 169 roughly--add time to get from your neighborhood to that spot). Eden Prairie to Hopkins is about 5 minutes without traffic and maybe 15 with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota