Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do you support legalization of recreational marijuana in Minnesota?
Yes 50 81.97%
No 11 18.03%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-31-2021, 05:17 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
10,244 posts, read 16,274,676 times
Reputation: 5303

Advertisements

A bill to legalize recreational marijuana recently passed in the Minnesota House of Representatives where it was dead on arrival in the senate thanks to Paul Gazelka and the Republicans. I’m wondering if those here support or are against legalization? If so, why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-31-2021, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Chisago Lakes, Minnesota
3,810 posts, read 6,390,701 times
Reputation: 6559
Support. If the demon alcohol is legal there is no legitimate argument against pot being legal. I have always contended this. Once pot is legalized here the line begins with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2021, 12:08 AM
 
441 posts, read 429,006 times
Reputation: 788
I am all for legalization in EVERHY state. Iyt also needs to be decriminalized federally because it is BJULL$hit alcohol kills more people than pot has ever. To date NOBODY has died from pot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2021, 06:54 PM
 
2,102 posts, read 4,567,793 times
Reputation: 1539
NO. It should not. It will cause too many problems. It will effect kids, and family. It will do serious harm, or worse, can effect employment, relationships, marriages, so many things, and it is dangerous, it impairs the user. It will be very dangerous.

It should not be legal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2021, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Chisago Lakes, Minnesota
3,810 posts, read 6,390,701 times
Reputation: 6559
Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
NO. It should not. It will cause too many problems. It will effect kids, and family. It will do serious harm, or worse, can effect employment, relationships, marriages, so many things, and it is dangerous, it impairs the user. It will be very dangerous.

It should not be legal.
Just for the record, how is it “dangerous”.....particularly in comparison to alcohol, which brings much more severe levels of impairment?

Aside from that, you are aware that it would be regulated, yes? You act like they would be handing out bud packed bongs to kids as they come through the doors of their schools every day, or that employers wouldn’t have the same rules against showing up stoned that they do for showing up drunk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2021, 07:56 PM
 
2,102 posts, read 4,567,793 times
Reputation: 1539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Just for the record, how is it “dangerous”.....particularly in comparison to alcohol, which brings much more severe levels of impairment?

Aside from that, you are aware that it would be regulated, yes? You act like they would be handing out bud packed bongs to kids as they come through the doors of their schools every day, or that employers wouldn’t have the same rules against showing up stoned that they do for showing up drunk.
How would recreational MJ be regulated?

I REALLY want to know. HOW is it regulated???

So, in this situation, if a worker, (Factory worker for example) gets injured on the job, many times if not always, they go to a clinic or hospital, where it is found out that he or she had been drinking the night before, and still had not sober long enough for them to work safely. They may be fired, and or face legal battles.

What if a construction worker injured a fellow worker on the job, by dropping a beam and it crashed off the back end of a low boy trailer, hitting several other workers helping to off load the load. That worker was found to be high on MJ, from smoking it a few hours earlier while on break. What would happen then?

There are many impaired drivers out on the roads, some drunk, some drunk and stoned. Some stoned out of their minds. What about impaired drivers who just got done smoking? Tell the truth, the state has enough to deal with having the drug laws as they are, making that stuff legal would only make things worse, and who has to pay for hospital bills, higher insurance rates, more cost, more cost, more cost, and death.

Last edited by demtion35; 06-02-2021 at 08:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2021, 09:06 PM
 
Location: Illinois
3,204 posts, read 3,463,418 times
Reputation: 4234
If I were in Minnesota, I would be very much 'wait and see' and 'let's be cautious.' There is a lot of evidence that suggests that legalization expands the market and increases usage among those who have no business using marijuana. It also fuels the black market because the "legal stuff" is priced and taxed much higher.

In my hometown, the city's marijuana tax revenue is being used to fund so-called reparations for African-American residents...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2021, 12:27 AM
 
441 posts, read 429,006 times
Reputation: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by demtion35 View Post
How would recreational MJ be regulated?

I REALLY want to know. HOW is it regulated???

So, in this situation, if a worker, (Factory worker for example) gets injured on the job, many times if not always, they go to a clinic or hospital, where it is found out that he or she had been drinking the night before, and still had not sober long enough for them to work safely. They may be fired, and or face legal battles.

What if a construction worker injured a fellow worker on the job, by dropping a beam and it crashed off the back end of a low boy trailer, hitting several other workers helping to off load the load. That worker was found to be high on MJ, from smoking it a few hours earlier while on break. What would happen then?

There are many impaired drivers out on the roads, some drunk, some drunk and stoned. Some stoned out of their minds. What about impaired drivers who just got done smoking? Tell the truth, the state has enough to deal with having the drug laws as they are, making that stuff legal would only make things worse, and who has to pay for hospital bills, higher insurance rates, more cost, more cost, more cost, and death.
Maybe research but not the ATF because it is biased. and look at how many people have DIED from marijuana that would be freaking ZERO. If you are driving impaired you can be tested for it just as you can be tested for alcohol. It is ridiculous that it is classified as a schedule 1. And it has medical purpose. I use it for peripheral neuropathy from chemotherapy

it is legal here in Oregon and how is it regulated you have to be 21 to buy it. The only thing is and I am sure there is some research I would think if you are a heavy user over time it can damage your lungs just like the sh%t in cigarettes which are 100% legal and kill thousands of people. But there are other ways to using not just smoking a bowl or a joint. It is NOT addictive and it has PROVEN medical uses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2021, 05:35 AM
 
Location: The Triad
34,091 posts, read 82,428,909 times
Reputation: 43642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
A bill to legalize recreational marijuana recently passed in the Minnesota House of Representatives ...

I’m wondering if those here support or are against legalization? If so, why?
As a natural state agricultural product -- it should be legal by default.

The only problem with legality, real legality, is there won't be much room for the states to tax it.
The Q then becomes one of which pseudo legality approach to take.
The approaches taken so far pretty much miss the mark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2021, 05:50 AM
 
197 posts, read 122,802 times
Reputation: 934
A simple costs/benefits analysis, given the costs (both economic and social) and general ineffectiveness of prohibition compared to the costs of legalization, clearly point to legalization.

See also: Prohibition 1920-1933

The opposition seems to be the usual dire hair-on-fire laundry list of calamities that will ensue. This reminds me more than a little of the relatively recent hand-wringing over the myriad trials and tribulations that would befall society were same-sex marriage legalized. And? Nothing - except increased freedom and happiness for some people.

Besides, this isn't a discussion of theory. We know how legalization works. From Alaska to Maine to California, it is fully legal in 17 states and decriminalized in a few others. It's fully legal in Canada, that country which is more like the United States than any other (thus making the best available international comparison). It's decriminalized in much of Latin American, parts of Europe, and some of Australia. It is nominally illegal but rarely enforced in places like Germany and Finland.

The bottom line is that there just isn't any reason to think that decriminalization will lead to much more than the state having to spend fewer resources prosecuting and jailing people and that fewer people will have a scarlet letter on their record permanently hindering them as they go through life.

Note:
No, I neither use nor want to use marijuana. The whole "You must be a pothead!" response is common in these discussions, and it is a non sequitur. There are all sorts of things - smoking tobacco, drinking tequila, getting tattoos, riding motorcycles, etc. - in which I have no interest but which I most certainly don't want to see prohibited.

This is not a libertarian stance. Rather, it's just one of judicious practicality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top