Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2023, 08:13 PM

136 posts, read 153,217 times

Advertisements

Hello, I have driven through your state several times. I like a rural setting for home but not far from a place to shop and work. I would prefer at least 5 acres. It seems like once you make it to Madison, Wi it stays pretty crowded the rest of the way east. Montana has been shooting way up in property taxes and public recreation is far to crowded anymore. I have realized public lands aren't what they used to people with all the people these days and would like to have my own little piece of solitude in a forested area maybe even waterfront. In Montana that has gotten far too expensive. I do currently own my own home so I would be a cash buyer but I would like to stay under $500k. I have been looking online in Mn and see some decent prices but don't know much else about the state other than its a bit more left than Montana. It seems like people overall make a little more money in Mn. I am a sales professional in construction supplies and have to work another 15 years. Are they areas a little better for someone like myself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2023, 08:18 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody01 View Post
Hello, I have driven through your state several times. I like a rural setting for home but not far from a place to shop and work. I would prefer at least 5 acres. It seems like once you make it to Madison, Wi it stays pretty crowded the rest of the way east. Montana has been shooting way up in property taxes and public recreation is far to crowded anymore. I have realized public lands aren't what they used to people with all the people these days and would like to have my own little piece of solitude in a forested area maybe even waterfront. In Montana that has gotten far too expensive. I do currently own my own home so I would be a cash buyer but I would like to stay under $500k. I have been looking online in Mn and see some decent prices but don't know much else about the state other than its a bit more left than Montana. It seems like people overall make a little more money in Mn. I am a sales professional in construction supplies and have to work another 15 years. Are they areas a little better for someone like myself?
If you're moving from Montana to Minnesota primarily because of the overall taxes, you're jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.

Minnesota is a very diverse state (I'm not talking race here) as to lifestyles, politics, terrain, and economics. There's the Iron Range, the deep woods and lakes of the north, the metro area around the Twin Cities, and the agricultural south. I guess I'd start there in determining where I'd want to live while considering my occupation. Depending on where I live, housing and acreages will range greatly.

Old 07-19-2023, 09:30 AM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody01 View Post
I have realized public lands aren't what they used to people with all the people these days and would like to have my own little piece of solitude in a forested area maybe even waterfront.
With over 15,000 lakes, it is pretty easy to find waterfront in Minnesota. Even the large metro areas have lakefront housing if you are willing to pay for the higher property taxes and put up with neighbors 10-15 feet away. Most lakefront lots in cities are narrow and long, allowing more houses to have a bit of lakeshore. But you will pay for it. I live one block from a lake (public access three streets down) and my property tax bill is 1/4 to 1/5 that of a similar size house on the lake.

You might try looking at cities like Alexandria, Brainerd, Bemidji, and Fergus Falls as these are set in areas with many lakes.

Old 07-19-2023, 11:22 AM

136 posts, read 153,217 times
Sounds pricier than I thought. My taxes now are $5k

Old 07-19-2023, 03:22 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,597,105 times
The cheapest part of the state, I think, is the Iron Range - the area NW of Duluth.

When I lived there my property taxes and insurance combined came to less than $1000 a year. But that was a decade ago, so I'm sure they're higher now.

Not too hard to find a small house near a lake that isn't too expensive in that area. Put in "Virginia, MN" as a search term on the real estate websites.

However, you should probably look at the state jobs website to see where the jobs in your field are: https://www.minnesotaworks.net/ Click on "Preview current job openings" so you don't have to register.

Old 09-15-2023, 11:41 AM

7 posts, read 8,483 times
haha) If you're moving from Montana to Minnesota primarily because of the overall taxes, you're jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.
this is ttotally true)

Old 09-16-2023, 09:34 AM

6,539 posts, read 7,118,145 times
Look up Island Lake Reservoir north of Duluth. 4184 NE Van Rd, Duluth, MN 55803 in particular. Currently the taxes are $3,768 per year, but will go up on sale price assessment. Usually taxes in MN are in 1.x % of assessed values. Another house on Shultz Lake near it pays $1,630 on $131,100 assessment. Once you get out of the Duluth tax draw the taxes drop. Duluth would be a good place to look for work and want to live in secluded sticks too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota