Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2008, 09:05 AM

148 posts, read 644,983 times

Advertisements

When I lived in Minnesota full time I always envied the two families who lived on my street who had teachers as parents. They would have three months off each summer where they would spent up in Northern Minnesota at a lake resort, cabin and in later years a second home. What a life.

That was one of the reasons I chose to go into Teaching and spend my summers at a Second Home in Northern Minnesota. But unlike the 1970s I do not run into many teachers anymore who take the summer off. It is no longer 3 months off but two months off, so I do not leave VA until July 1st. It seems like most of them work a second job through a temp agency or special program and feel guilty if they take time off.

Most of the people I meet at the Lake Northern Minnesota are retired or rich.

Does anyone go up North for the whole summer anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 12:15 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,319,403 times
No, most teachers can't afford a lake home these days. Most lake homes run in the $500,000+ range. Most teachers usually work a second job in the summers around here.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:03 PM

862 posts, read 1,051,713 times
Default Up North ?

Many teachers are luckly if they can just afford to live in the towns they teach in !

Old 10-22-2008, 12:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,414 times
Smile Up North IS affordable

Hi,
Just came upon your question about whether teachers are still going up north for the summer....I think the answer is YES. Like anywhere, there ARE still affordable places to stay. Maybe 2 families end up sharing a cabin, but good memories are still made. I suggest you look at vrbo.com as a good source for rentals. I have a rental in there, and its affordable and quite nice. Its called "Fabulous Log Home". And I give teachers and fire fighters discounts.
HollyHomes

Old 10-31-2008, 08:38 PM

4 posts, read 10,992 times
Many people rent cabins or stay in resorts on Lake Vermillion. It's a great lake and away from the cities and the "rat race". Why buy a cabin when you can rent or lease for a reasonable cost?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota