Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 10:32 AM

781 posts, read 2,630,895 times

Advertisements

There are a few smaller ski hills around the Minneapolis area, but I'd have to agree that if you want a bigger hill, you will have drive the 230 some miles north to Duluth for Spirit Mountain. From there you can drive another 90 miles north to Lutsen Mountain for some even better terrain.

Also, the Boundary Waters are beautiful indeed, and are worth every bit of praise you've heard.

Just as a side note, have you taken a close look at Duluth as well? Duluth is a huge "outside enthusiast" city with tons to do. The most characteristic part of Duluth for me is the fact it's all (or most anyways) built on a hill, which provides many great hiking, biking, walking trails, sledding hill opportunities, streams and creeks all over looking Lake Superior. I've never actually been to Rochester, so I have no place comparing the two.

You didn't mention what your husband does for work, but you (depending on what your job title is specifically) would probably have no problem finding work in Duluth as our health industry is far and away our strongest.

Good luck on your move though! Rochester is the next up and coming Minnesota city and it'd be great to take advantage of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 11:04 AM

871 posts, read 1,090,226 times
I would have to disagree that snowmobiling isn't good around Rochester- I grew up not far from there (various towns- Olivia, St. Peter, Waseca). Most years, the snowmobiling should be fine. However, snow cover can vary immensely from year to year. I got cross-country skis a few years ago and have only been able to use them spottily (I live in Minneapolis now).

It's very difficult to answer some of your questions, since I think liking a place is so much based on personal preference, and also luck. I honestly think I could live almost anywhere if I was fortunate enough to find a good crowd of people. I don't want to turn you off or on to Rochester, since I don't know it well enough. However, I'll let you in on some things I DO know.

Winter is brutally cold in Minnesota. There's just no way around that fact. However, housing prices are cheap compared to California. You'll probably be able to get a house considerably larger than what you are used to. If you can make good friends, socializing in the comfort and warmth of home in the middle of winter makes it all bearable.

I've tried to get into winter sports, I just can't. However, if you can it will be a great help. There will be plenty of places for snowmobiling, cross-county skiing, ice skating, etc. in and around Rochester.

Rochester is on the small end of a mid-sized city. Coming from the LA vicinity can only be a shock, as far as I can imagine. Minneapolis and St. Paul- which will still feel small compared to L.A.- are about an hour away. If you're a dyed-in-the-wool city girl, I don't see how Rochester would fit your needs.

If gardening holds any appeal to you, spring, summer and fall will be heavenly. You will be in an area with rich black soil. An abundance of flora grows here- it's farm country after all. I grow grapes and raspberries in my garden in Minneapolis, so you might be surprised what you can grow here, if you are so inclined.

I'm sorry to say- and others may VERY well disagree with me- culture and nightlife in Rochester will be utterly feeble.

Minnesota is beautiful. Big, deciduous trees, many, many rivers (including the Mississippi), endless lakes, forests, etc. If you are a nature lover at all, that will be a very bright spot for you. I cannot tell you how many times I have felt uplifted and gleeful by the natural beauty I see every day. However, I can understand that not being of great value to some people - different strokes for different folks.

Good luck to you.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:50 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,108,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminumpork View Post
There are a few smaller ski hills around the Minneapolis area, but I'd have to agree that if you want a bigger hill, you will have drive the 230 some miles north to Duluth for Spirit Mountain. From there you can drive another 90 miles north to Lutsen Mountain for some even better terrain.
Google Maps says it's only 147 miles from the center of Minneapolis to Spirit Mountain. FWIW...

Old 08-08-2008, 12:33 PM

781 posts, read 2,630,895 times
Google Maps also says it's 227 miles from the center of Rochester to the center of Duluth. I was assuming that they'd be driving from where they live.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:47 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,355,686 times
As someone who has moved from NE MN to SE MN, I'd have to say that Rochester is not as "brutally" cold as northern Minnesota. There are not nearly as many frigidly cold days in this part of the state as there are in Duluth for example.

Nightlife in Rochester was pointed out. If that is your thing, you probably won't find as much of it here as other places but that's because Mayo has a lot to do with what happens in this city. They want to keep it up to a certain standard I believe.

The population of Rochester I believe is like 102,000 just to give you an idea. There are lots of smaller towns around as has been pointed out and I do believe there are ski areas down this far too. In my opinion, there seems to be an adequate amount of snow for outdoor winter activities although if you spend tons of time outdoors in the winter then it's probably not the best part of the state.

The cost of living here is better than it is in Duluth. The jobs pay better, housing is more affordable, and there are more opportunities. It is also nice that the Twin Cities are so close. It's a straight shot up 52 into St. Paul.

Would I have moved here if it wasn't for my husband's job? I don't know. Having lived in Duluth for 30 years and having always loved the city, I'd have a hard time moving back there because of the lack of jobs in my husband's field, the school system and the cost of housing. If you are looking for a good area to raise your family with warmer summers and cold winters but not bitterly cold then Rochester is a good choice. It is the fastest growing city in the state. You can drive a mile out of town (and sometimes not even have to drive out of town) to come across a farm for example. There's lots of opportunities here across the board.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:54 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,108,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminumpork View Post
Google Maps also says it's 227 miles from the center of Rochester to the center of Duluth. I was assuming that they'd be driving from where they live.
Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot about that fairly important detail.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:47 PM

7 posts, read 25,999 times
thanks again for the continued input.

I don't think at this point I would look at other parts of Minnesota as it is largely the job at Mayo clinic that is driving me to look there. We are looking to leave los angeles for a better environment but a big down side is that all of our family is here so I am a bit reluctant to move so far and without the mayo clinic job, I just wouldn't do it.

Nightlife is not an issue but I will be distraught if I can not get any decent sushi (I know, very LA).

Mostly I am looking for nice place to raise a family with lot of outdoor activities. We have a canoe from our Seattle days that is collecting dust right now, as are my cross country skiis and snowshoes. I love to hike and camp and used to do rockclimbing but not lately. we usually rent snowmobiles in central sierras every year at least once but it is a drive also.

I am a physician and my husband is in engineering. I fear his job will be harder to find because he is just entering the field. We end up moving around the country usually on my career needs.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:32 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,355,686 times
I will admit right off the bat I'm pretty ignorant of the engineering field, but is that something he could find at IBM because they are here too.

There is a Japanese place here but I'm not sure if it's good. I was trying to find their website but it comes up something else. I did read some reviews and one person said it was "fake" sushi though. Rochester is only an hour or so south of the Twin Cities where I'm sure there's something good. That's another bonus to Rochester - what we don't have you can usually find up there. Also there are some smaller towns between Rochester and the Cities that are nice too.

I think this is a good area to raise a family. As with any place these days, it's not perfect but really where is?

Old 08-12-2008, 10:48 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,008,489 times
I'm not sure what type of Engineering your husband has a degree for, but at this very moment the city of Rochester is looking for a "Project Electrical Engineer".

City of Rochester, Minnesota: Employment

As one who has lived in both Bend OR and Rochester MN, I would choose Rochester. Bend is a very gorgeous place to retire to, but as far as cost of living vs wages Rochester is much better. My husband and I had a very hard time trying to keep our heads above water in Bend. Their largest employeer, the lumber mill, would lay off hundreds every winter. Of course things might have changed in the past few years since I've been gone, but I doubt it. My in-laws still live there and I still hear stories about having a hard time making bills and such.

There are plenty of rivers around this area that you will be able to use your canoe on. I've also seen plenty of people using their snowmobiles around here.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:38 PM

7 posts, read 25,999 times
Thanks everyone for your great advice and insight into life in Minnesota. Although I am still a bit sad about the thought of moving so far from most of our families, I am becoming more and more excited about the opportunity to move to Rochester. I am early in the process of applying for the Mayo Clinic position and so won't know more for awhile most likely but I will be back for more advice if things progress.

If everyone who answered is representative of the people in Minnesota then I think we would be very happy. Thanks for being so helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota