Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2007, 07:28 AM

8 posts, read 34,255 times

Advertisements

We want to move to MN, but can't decide where. We are an old couple with a boy age 8, and a girl age 5. I am a sahm, but would like to find something, I can do at home. My dh was working for a manufacturer of small engines as a machine operator. He lost his job along with many others, and was told that they will not be called back to work (company moving overseas).

This is a list of the cities that I like, but my dh want's to know what jobs are there.

Andover
Brooklyn Center
Chanhassen
Fridley
Maplewood
Moorehead
Moundsview
New Hope
Robbinsdale
White Bear Lake
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 08:23 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,720 times
Thumbs up possible jobs?

Has he considered Cummins Power Generation (aka Onan)? They have a big facility in Fridley. They make engines/generators for so many things! I did a contract job with them a year or so ago and went through Placement Pros out of Plymouth. If you're interested I can give you contact information...send me a private mail through this board and we can chat.

In my experience there seem to be more jobs like what your husband is looking for on the north side of the cities. I'd say look in Anoka, Ramsey, Elk River, Big Lake. Housing is more affordable in this area too. We live in Champlin which is just north of Brooklyn Park and a fantastic place to live.

Blessings!

Old 02-10-2007, 08:28 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Hi Jill-I don't think he will have a hard time finding a job. There are positions open for machine operators all the time. I agree N of the Cities is your best bet. Look in Rogers too.

Old 02-10-2007, 08:41 AM

571 posts, read 2,530,271 times
Moorhead is definitely a cheaper cost of living that the metro area. The Fargo-Moorhead area is growing and the economy is pretty good (I remember reading it was one of the most small-business friendly places in the country)...I'm not sure about your husband's specific line of work though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota