Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2011, 07:53 PM

2 posts, read 6,298 times

Advertisements

I am investigating the possibility to move into the Little Falls area, but have never been up there and have some questions for the natives.

Ideally I want to live in a rural area, find a decent house on some large acreage, that's a tolerable commute to both St Cloud and Little Falls (30 minutes or less would be ideal). I would be working in Little Falls, and my partner would need to find a job and St Cloud is probably the most likely place for her in the area.

1) Google maps says it is a 40 minute drive from St Cloud to Little Falls; Does this sound accurate? I ask because it also says my current drive (Chicago) is 40 minutes, when it's really 1.5-2 hours.

2) If that's true, is it reasonable to think I can find a house with tolerable commutes to both of those towns?

3) Am I within reason to think I can find a decent house with 10+ acres in the area between 200-250k ?

And finally, 4) Any random information you'd like to share about the area? Reasons to come there, reasons not to, things you wish you knew before moving there? Etc.

Thanks in advance. This is a big consideration for us, and any info would be very helpful! I'll be following this thread, and definitely following up with any input or follow-up questions, etc. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 10:53 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
I would say that 40 minutes seems a little long but it really depends on where you start in St. Cloud. Highway 10 from St. Cloud to Little Falls is 4 lanes, 65 MPH the entire way and once you get out of St. Cloud there are no stops/lights, etc., just a slow down to 55 in Royalton.

Little Falls is a nice area and I think it is possible to get what you are looking for in that general area.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 6,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I would say that 40 minutes seems a little long but it really depends on where you start in St. Cloud. Highway 10 from St. Cloud to Little Falls is 4 lanes, 65 MPH the entire way and once you get out of St. Cloud there are no stops/lights, etc., just a slow down to 55 in Royalton.

Little Falls is a nice area and I think it is possible to get what you are looking for in that general area.
Thanks golfgal.

Even during rush hour though!?
If so, it sounds like heaven.

Google says it's roughly 33 miles and about 40 minute drive. I'm accustomed to a 14 mile 90+ minute drive. I just can't imagine driving 65mph on the highway.

Thanks again.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:54 AM

761 posts, read 3,414,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skram View Post
Thanks golfgal.

Google says it's roughly 33 miles and about 40 minute drive. I'm accustomed to a 14 mile 90+ minute drive. I just can't imagine driving 65mph on the highway.

Thanks again.
You won't have a problem out on highway 10 during "rush hour" out by St. Cloud. Division St (Hwy 23) is pretty slow at times though when I have driven through St. Cloud.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:17 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skram View Post
Thanks golfgal.

Thanks again.
There is no "rush hour" on Hwy 10 in that area. There is pretty much nothing between St. Cloud and Little Falls but fields and a couple small towns. If you leave from the edge of St. Cloud to Little Falls it will take about 30 minutes. The only "rush hour" will be heading north on Friday afternoon or South on Sunday afternoon in the summer as people head toward cabins.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:36 PM

Location: Moved to Gladstone, MO in June 2022 and back to Minnesota in September 2022
2,072 posts, read 5,060,613 times
I have had 2 different teachers, one currently this year and one two years ago that live in Little Falls and teach at St. Cloud Schools. Commuting won't be a problem.

You said your drive to Chicago, are you coming from the Chicago area? If so then the traffic will seem pathetic in comparison and you'll be laughing so hard when people here complain about it. There isn't any reason to not move here, but St. Cloud is going to be small and slow and boring compared to the Chicago area. I personally think the Twin Cities is much better. One of my teachers is always like "Ugh the Twin Cities has to much traffic and its too hard to drive. Why do people live there? Uhg ugh uhg" You'll hear that a lot here, people in St. Cloud are very anti urban. Ok, I shouldn't say it like that, but it's incredible how anti Twin Cities some people are here.

Last edited by Radical_Car; 02-16-2011 at 06:52 PM..

Old 02-06-2014, 02:46 AM

8 posts, read 12,093 times
Yes we do travel at 65 [or a little more] along Highway 10 between St. Cloud and northward. Traffic is very light compared to urban areas. Up here we think nothing of running down to the Twin Cities [not during rush hour] which is about 90 minutes away. Come see for yourself, you'll be amazed.

The St. Cloud area has over 100,000 residents counting the abutting 4 towns. It isn't big city shopping, but most every shopping need is available there. Also, the area several state and private colleges offering a wide variety of educational opportunities.

The St. Cloud area has a huge amount of first rate medical services and specialty clinics.

North of Little Falls is the beginning of the "Central Lakes" region with literally 1000s of lakes for your recreational enjoyment. The Brainerd area is a huge "cabin" center with upwards to 20,000 people [my estimate] converging on their cabins for the weekend. Tourism is a big source of income.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:55 PM

Skram, just wondering if you moved to the area.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:01 AM

-Little Falls is a bicycling center for the area with more tails coming that will connect all of central Minnesota.
-Despite a recent murder trial that garnered much publicity, Little Falls is a safe place to live.
-The Boys & Girls club will be opening a new million dollar center the summer of 2014.
-There is movement on the development of a city water park.

-There are walking tours of Little Falls available on You Tube. There is also a video on the homes that have been historically recognized.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:08 AM

-Camp Ripley is a huge training facility for not only the National Guard but also for peace officers and other agencies.

The military museum is worthy of a visit. The State Military Cemetery is adjacent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota