Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who are you voting for in MN 6th Congressional District
Michele Bachmann (R) the incumbent 3 21.43%
Elwyn Tinklenberg (D) the challenger 9 64.29%
A Write-In Candidate 1 7.14%
Not Voting 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 11:49 AM

26,218 posts, read 49,066,237 times

Advertisements

Who are you voting for in MN 6th Congressional District:

- Bachmann
- Tinklenberg
- Write In Choice
- Not Voting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 12:02 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,006,241 times
I never vote for the one in office unless they did an outstanding job (which is very very rarely). I don't believe in rewarding career politicians. I believe their should be term limits on all politicians.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:21 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,379,554 times
Unfortunately I'm in the 5th district so I won't be able to vote in this particular election. However, due to recent events this should be an interesting one.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:53 PM

481 posts, read 1,817,978 times
I'm in the 5th also so no luck there.

But here's the takeaway quote I got from the front page of the Minneapolis paper. "I had never seen the show before".

Excuse me? You're going to show up on a nationally known interview show and not even do the due dilligence of researching it so you know what to expect? What a startling lack of preparation! How can she represent anyone else if she won't even work to represent herself?

I didn't catch it, but I did hear the full interview on NPR. From what I could make of it, she was working hard at conflating liberalism with terrorism and anti-Americanism. Chris Matthew sensed a loose cannon and went in for the kill, seizing an opportunity to separate a politician from their scripted talking points so they could get a better sense of who they really were -- what they're trained to do on those Sunday morning interviews. If she wanted softballs she could have gone on any number of other shows.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:31 PM

Side question: Is that the same show that John Stewart went on and ripped to pieces for 20 minutes?

Old 10-22-2008, 03:24 PM

481 posts, read 1,817,978 times
No, that was crossfire. It was cancelled shortly after, although the hosts live on in other programs.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:26 AM

Oh ok thanks, pardon my "not having cable" related ignorance.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:33 AM

81 posts, read 295,881 times
I'm a former resident of the 6th District and while I no longer live there, I'm not a Bachmann fan. However, I do think Michelle Bachmann represents the old vanguard population of central MN. I think that the demographics and the people living in the area have changed sooooo much in the last 15yrs. Its no longer dominated by people who wanted Intelligent Design taught in schools or small town folks. Suburbanization and even St Cloud becoming more urbane has changed her constituency and I'm thinking its time for her to go.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:16 PM

1,936 posts, read 5,835,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg1701d View Post
I'm a former resident of the 6th District and while I no longer live there, I'm not a Bachmann fan. However, I do think Michelle Bachmann represents the old vanguard population of central MN. I think that the demographics and the people living in the area have changed sooooo much in the last 15yrs. Its no longer dominated by people who wanted Intelligent Design taught in schools or small town folks. Suburbanization and even St Cloud becoming more urbane has changed her constituency and I'm thinking its time for her to go.
It is a conservative area (which I do not live in), but I think many of the old vanguard population of central MN would be highly offended to be compared to a lunatic, fanatical, mccarthy-esque extremist like Michele Bachman - I think it's great that folks from all over the state and nation have been pouring in support for her opponent (although I am not a big fan of alot of Tinklenberg's views and conservatism) since her TV appearance. Her are some of my favorite excerpts from Bachmann's Wikipedia entry:

In 1993, Bachmann joined with other parents in Stillwater to open New Heights Charter School...Conflicts arose when many parents and the school district questioned if money from public tax dollars was going towards injecting Christianity into the curriculum. Minnesota state law prohibits charter schools from using taxpayers' money for teaching religiously motivated courses. Parents charged Bachmann with trying to set up classes on Creationism and advocating "something called '12 Christian principles' be taught, very much like the 10 Commandments." Bachmann and the board of directors also refused to allow the in-school screening of the Disney film Aladdin, feeling that it endorsed magic/witchcraft and promoted paganism. With her directors, Bachmann appeared before the Stillwater School Board to address the concerned group of parents. Feeling that the criticism was an unfounded personal attack, she stated, "Are you going to question my integrity?" As the critique continued, Bachmann and four members of her board resigned on the spot – reportedly viewing the whole controversy as stemming from anti-Christian discrimination.[

Bachmann introduced the Light Bulb Freedom of Choice Act, to repeal the nationwide phase-out of conventional light bulbs.She argues that the government has no business telling consumers what kind of light bulbs they can buy:[58] "By 2012, incandescent light bulbs will be no more," Bachmann said. "Fluorescent bulbs are more polluting because of their mercury content. We are working on a light bulb bill. If the Democrats can hose up a light bulb, don't trust them with the country."
She also said, "I was just outraged that Congress would want to substitute its judgment for the judgment of the American people. It struck me as a massive Big Brother intrusion into our homes and our lives."[59]

During a debate televised by WCCO on October 28, 2006, news reporter Pat Kessler quoted a story that appeared in the Minneapolis Star Tribune and asked Bachmann whether it was true that the church she belonged to taught that the Pope was the Anti-Christ. Bachmann answered that her “church does not believe that the Pope is the Anti-Christ, that's absolutely false... I'm very grateful that my pastor has come out and been very clear on this matter, and I think it's patently absurd and it's a false statement.”[33] Bachmann is a member of a church that is part of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod, whose doctrine teaches that the Roman Catholic papacy is the Anti-Christ identified in Scripture.[34]
Bachmann came under scrutiny by the watchdog group Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) for speaking at Living Word Christian Center (LWCC), a large charismatic church located in Brooklyn Park, Minnesota.[35] CREW went on to file a complaint with the IRS against LWCC's senior pastor, Mac Hammond.[35][36] CREW took issue with Hammond's using church equipment and facilities to declare "We can't publicly endorse as a church and would not for any candidate. But I can tell you personally that I'm going to vote for Michele Bachmann."[36][37] It was later reported that Hammond does not live in Bachmann's district and could not vote for her.[38] CREW maintains that this was a violation of US tax law 501(c)(3) that says if a Church wants to be exempt from paying taxes then "religious leaders cannot make partisan comments in official organization publications or at official church functions." In Bachmann's address at LWCC she said:
"God then called me to run for the United States Congress, and I thought 'What in the world will that be for?' and my husband said 'You need to do this,' and I wasn’t so sure, and we took 3 days and we fasted and we prayed and ...he made that calling sure And its been now 22 months that I’ve been running for United States Congress. Who in their right mind would spend 2 years to run for a job that lasts 2 years? You’d have to be absolutely a fool to do that. You are now looking at a fool for Christ. This is a fool for Christ. And in the midst of him making this calling sure, what has occurred now in this particular race is that this Congressional seat out of 435 in the country has become ... it has been one of the top five races in the country, and in the last week this has become one of the top three races in the country, you may have seen how God has in his own will, and his own plan, has focused like a laser beam after this scandal [involving Mark Foley] that came up about a week or so ago. He has focused like a laser beam in his reasoning on this race. The reason why this is one of the top three races is because this race will probably decide which way Congress goes this fall. We could talk more about what that means for this nation, what this means for defeating radical Islam, what this means for what the future of the family is going to be, what this is going to mean for the future of the freedom of religious expression."[37][36][38][39]

Old 10-24-2008, 03:18 PM

16 posts, read 49,779 times
Default They're All Fired!!

Personally, I will not vote for anyone who is currently in office, especially Democrats who pushed for deregulation. And, no, I am not against the Dem's. It is just that they had a big part in this. They have screwed up the economy so bad that it isn't funny. I think it is time they were all fired and some new people had the chance to set things straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota