Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 04:51 PM

27 posts, read 66,179 times

Advertisements

In the upper midwest

No stinking toll roads

not as congested

not as expensive to live

They know how to clear the ice from roads in winter and you can ride a snowmobile next to the roads.

Much more friendly to big trucks so your food and other products cost less to ship in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 07:37 PM

26,456 posts, read 46,728,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaarr View Post
In the upper midwest

No stinking toll roads

not as congested

not as expensive to live

They know how to clear the ice from roads in winter and you can ride a snowmobile next to the roads.

Much more friendly to big trucks so your food and other products cost less to ship in.
I live in rural NH and our plow drivers are absolutely excellent, even on the remote rural roads. We have no such thing as congestion around here and any toll roads are in the southern part of the state closer to the I-95 corridor and Boston. We have an extensive network of snowmobile trails that are well groomed with a season lasting around four months. The COL is somewhat higher, but my heating costs are quite low because I use mainly pellets, wood, and electric for heat. Most houses around here tend to be much smaller in size compared to the Upper Midwest. I see that mainly as a lifestyle difference due to the fact that most New Englanders don't feel that "bigger is better." I value a quality built compact house and I despise cookie cutter mcmansions. In terms of food price differences... I don't see much of a difference at all. We have several different grocery store chains in the county so that helps competition and keeps prices down.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:26 PM

534 posts, read 1,173,528 times
Quote:
I live in rural NH and our plow drivers are absolutely excellent, even on the remote rural roads. We have no such thing as congestion around here and any toll roads are in the southern part of the state closer to the I-95 corridor and Boston. We have an extensive network of snowmobile trails that are well groomed with a season lasting around four months.
Exactly the same in VT. No toll roads at all. The plows are out before the first snowflake has even hit the ground and are are still out continuously removing the piled-up snow even after it stops falling (something unheard of here in the Pacific NW).

The I-95 area is a "different New England" in many ways from the rest of the region, just by nature of what that artery brings with it.

Old 04-15-2009, 09:35 AM

4,363 posts, read 6,547,440 times
New England is by the big Salt Water Pond, Upper Midwest is by a bunch of Fresh Water Ponds.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
New England is by the big Salt Water Pond, Upper Midwest is by a bunch of Fresh Water Ponds.
NH has freshwater lakes.
Lake Winnipesaukee and the Connecticut Lakes in northern NH are quite nice.

Lake Winnipesaukee
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c3/2007_11_04_Lake_Winnipesaukee_From_Mt_Major_Summit .jpg (broken link)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b9/The_Weirs_%26_Lake_Winnipesaukee%2C_NH.jpg (broken link)

Connecticut Lakes in the North Country

Last edited by GraniteStater; 04-15-2009 at 10:28 PM..

Old 04-25-2009, 10:39 AM

50 posts, read 61,192 times
MW-still has some ideal of lifestyle in farming- NE. was more of a part time rural-
sports are the kind of sport you look for they originate from MW. and move out

cities are less -
many creations originate in semi rural areas but dont stay cause of popular gossips
developing a lifestyle is easier----
there are some negatives in upper MW such as ; courthouse crowd and relatives are safe from the law ,medical, and spiritual also

Old 04-27-2009, 12:49 PM

6,620 posts, read 16,620,727 times
A fundamental difference is who settled these areas and when: 1700s vs. 1800s; British Isles & French Canadians vs. Northern Europeans and Germans (yes, we had French Canadians here in MN too, but they didn't stick around like the ones in New England.) An economic commonality is forestry, disparities are fishing vs. mining and large-scale agriculture. Original economic drivers were seaports vs. riverboats/railroads. Religious commonality is Roman Catholicism; disparities are Lutheranism vs. Presbyterianism, Methodism, Episcopalianism.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:36 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,229,487 times
I just got back from VT and NH. For starters, we have a lot less Subaru's in MN that they do in New England! In VT, I'd bet 1 out of every 5 cars is a Subaru. I'm not kidding.

I will say New England is a beautiful part of our country. Up State New York has a lot of stunning lakes. Everyone that I met was very nice.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I just got back from VT and NH. For starters, we have a lot less Subaru's in MN that they do in New England! In VT, I'd bet 1 out of every 5 cars is a Subaru. I'm not kidding.

I will say New England is a beautiful part of our country. Up State New York has a lot of stunning lakes. Everyone that I met was very nice.
Did you get to see the White Mountains? In June many people drive the auto road up to the summit of Mount Washington.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:36 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,229,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Did you get to see the White Mountains? In June many people drive the auto road up to the summit of Mount Washington.

I was mainly driving from NYC to VT. So the mountains that I saw were the Catskills, Adirondacks, Green etc. Additionally, I was in Burlington (GREAT college town on the lake), Stowe, Montpelier (super vibe), etc. I took a drive around Lake George in NY, the Hudson River vallety etc. As I said, all of that area is very very nice.

You have the mountains AND plenty of lakes; what a great combo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota