Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2009, 11:12 AM

2 posts, read 6,475 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm new and I'd like some information on wage garnishments in Minnesota.

I appreciate your help.
Optimus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 11:44 AM

540 posts, read 1,096,300 times
That's kind of a wide open question. If you have something more specific, I can try to help -- I used to set up garnishment orders for Target.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:54 PM

987 posts, read 3,817,726 times
Let me google that for you (http://tinyurl.com/yh57334 - broken link)

Old 10-14-2009, 09:12 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,366,293 times
I can tell you what I know about wage garnishments in Minnesota (this also applies to most other states). If you get one, you will be VERY unhappy. My best advice is:
-Don't have any kids out of wedlock
-Pay your taxes
-Don't buy anything you can't afford, especially on expensive payment plans
-Make sure you have medical insurance at all times

If you heed this advice you should never have to worry about being affected by wage garnishments.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:07 AM

2 posts, read 6,475 times
Default Wage garnishment

Hi there,
Thanks a lot for your help. I'm not the debtor, I'm the creditor. Last week I had the judgment docketed. The only help I'm looking for now is how to find out where the debtor works of who he banks with to garnish his wages. I want to put a lien on his property (I have all the information about his property include the 2 cars he owns), but this might take longer to get my money. But with wage garnishment, I'm sure I'll get the money fast. So is there any way I can find out where he works of hi bank? I can't follow him to work as he might notice me following him.

I appreciate your help.
Optimus Prime

Old 10-23-2009, 09:50 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
try these

Old 10-23-2009, 11:35 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auptimusprime View Post
Hi there,
Thanks a lot for your help. I'm not the debtor, I'm the creditor. Last week I had the judgment docketed. The only help I'm looking for now is how to find out where the debtor works of who he banks with to garnish his wages. I want to put a lien on his property (I have all the information about his property include the 2 cars he owns), but this might take longer to get my money. But with wage garnishment, I'm sure I'll get the money fast. So is there any way I can find out where he works of hi bank? I can't follow him to work as he might notice me following him.
If you don't want to do it yourself, hire someone else to find him. There are a fair number of private investigators around who do that sort of thing for a living.

I don't have any recommendations, sadly.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:17 AM

540 posts, read 1,096,300 times
Yeah, I would say you would want to turn the matter over to a professional collection agency or law firm that specializes in collections.

The debtor's place of employment or bank isn't going to turn any personal info over to you unless you have the proper legal documents filed with the state/county, which can be a time-consuming process. And you don't want to be skulking around following the person - if anything, that sort of thing could bet you in trouble as they could file harrassment/stalking charges.

And as for your quote about getting your money "fast", don't hold your breath. The maximum you could get is 25% per paycheck, and that's if the debtor meets certain income criteria, doesn't have dependents, and doesn't have any other collection orders. Also, it was my experience that a lot of debtors will quit their job as soon as they find out their wages are being garnished, which causes most of the process to be reset.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota