Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 05:07 PM

25 posts, read 112,080 times

Advertisements

I major in American History, i will like someone to tell me the difference between Upper Midwest and New England. I will like some comment please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 06:26 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,078,063 times
we can't tell you. then everyone would know.

Old 04-03-2009, 09:09 PM

26,430 posts, read 46,615,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by er5603an View Post
I major in American History, i will like someone to tell me the difference between Upper Midwest and New England. I will like some comment please.
One of the biggest difference is physical geography. New England is the northern extension of the Appalachian Mountains that stretch north through Vermont, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Maine, and up into New Brunswick and the Maritimes. The architecture in New England is very old world European. Many people love restoring old houses and maintain the historical integrity of them. Out in the rural areas you see a more traditional Appalachian development pattern. One could be driving down a dirt road and see a very expensive house down the road from a shack or modular house with a long stovepipe.
In terms of culture, I think you will find some similarities. Both regions have issues with higher than average alcohol consumption. Both regions also tend to have a more reserved populace. Outdoor activities that revolve around winter sports, fishing, and hunting tend to be popular. The Upper Midwest seems to be a little more religious compared to New England, and I think more citizens in New England have a greater propensity to debate politics and issues. In terms of education both are comparable, but some rural areas of New England have a higher average percentage of residents with a Bachelors degree or higher. Both regions have a much less diversity compared to the national average.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:34 PM

761 posts, read 3,416,988 times
New England "historically" has way better sports teams.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:40 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,096,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsky1 View Post
New England "historically" has way better sports teams.
In what sport? Lacrosse?

Old 04-06-2009, 01:49 PM

512 posts, read 1,755,559 times
Geographically, New England borders the Atlantic Ocean, whereas the Upper Midwest borders...lakes. Just having some fun Midwesterners!

Old 04-08-2009, 06:44 PM

534 posts, read 1,171,389 times
Native New Englander (VT) moving back to the Midwest (MN).

Just off the trop of my head, NE is much more crowded/congested. Whether that's due to being older/settled first or being part of the east coast corridor that includes the NY-to-DC section, I don't know. But I just feel like it's not as wide open.

I think people are more polite/nicer in the Midwest...maybe because they aren't hemmed in by others so much and aren't as stressed out? I don't know...

Just guesses, of course.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenaroundabit View Post
Native New Englander (VT) moving back to the Midwest (MN).

Just off the trop of my head, NE is much more crowded/congested. Whether that's due to being older/settled first or being part of the east coast corridor that includes the NY-to-DC section, I don't know. But I just feel like it's not as wide open.

I think people are more polite/nicer in the Midwest...maybe because they aren't hemmed in by others so much and aren't as stressed out? I don't know...

Just guesses, of course.
True, the NE is crowded along the I-95 corridor. However, north of that corridor in ME it thins out rapidly. Northern and central NH and VT are fairly rural. I live in rural NH and it is very quiet with next to no stress.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:29 PM

534 posts, read 1,171,389 times
Quote:
Northern and central NH and VT are fairly rural. I live in rural NH and it is very quiet with next to no stress.
Good point. Of course, ME, VT, NH and parts of upstate NY are what I consider "real" New England, anyway - until the flatlanders come up and ruin it, of course .

Old 04-08-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenaroundabit View Post
Good point. Of course, ME, VT, NH and parts of upstate NY are what I consider "real" New England, anyway - until the flatlanders come up and ruin it, of course .
It is not that insular here. I lived in four other parts of the country before deciding that this was the absolute best fit for me. I am in rural Merrimack County NH, and the largest nearby city is Concord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota