Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2009, 02:03 AM

4 posts, read 63,076 times

Advertisements

I know that the credentials vary state to state. I am looking for information regarding whether or not to pursue a psychiatric nurse practitioner or a master's degree in social work. My goal is to counsel individuals, eventually opening a private practice. I am currently a surgical/trauma ICU nurse and the Nurse Practitioner appears to make more sense at this time but locating answers to my questions is easier said than done! Please assist me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2009, 03:19 AM

768 posts, read 942,364 times
NP-Six figure income with a science-based curriculum at your back, coupled with the ability to open a private practice and dispense medicine. The field is wide open and work is plentiful.

Social work-If you get a managerial position after 15 years, you might break 50K. Doubtful though. Liberal arts educational background, ie, warm and fuzzy cliches' with good intentions but limited ability. Many can't find work at all.

Night and day.

Old 11-09-2009, 04:25 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post
NP-Six figure income with a science-based curriculum at your back, coupled with the ability to open a private practice and dispense medicine. The field is wide open and work is plentiful.

Social work-If you get a managerial position after 15 years, you might break 50K. Doubtful though. Liberal arts educational background, ie, warm and fuzzy cliches' with good intentions but limited ability. Many can't find work at all.

Night and day.
I agree-and the burn out rate for Social Work is tremendous.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:06 AM

1,935 posts, read 5,830,543 times
My field is related to social work, and judging by the amount of MSW resumes coming across my desk for very entry level positions, I would say that right now is not a great time for MSWs...go with the Nurse Practitioner.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:56 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,647,352 times
Since you're in Minnesota you might be interested in Law and Mental Health Professionals: Minnesota, a volume in a series published by the American Psychological Association. Among other things, the series covers the education and licensure requirements in the various states.

If it's not available at your local law library you can obtain it from Amazon or the APA.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:03 AM

1 posts, read 5,840 times
ICUJunkie... I am in the same boat. I am an OB nurse and I am looking at different psych NP programs online. I have considered the MSW route too, but it is easier for us to go the NP route. I am thinking I need to get some psych experience too. I have never worked in psych... have you? I would love for us to put our heads together and share information etc. My email is [email]NinaJacksonRN@hotmail.com[/email]. Please send me an email... maybe we can support eachother through this.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 3,578 times
Default So Untrue

Quote:

Night and day.

This is really bogus information. I have a MSW degree from one of the top social work master's programs in the country, and am licensed as a social worker who practices psychotherapy. Our training does not consist of 'feel-good cliches',' as you put it. We learn targeted psychotherapeutic interventions to help people with mental health issues.

To be sure, we don't make a ton of money, but to dismiss all of social work as folks with 'limited ability' clearly shows your ignorance about the field. There are amazing social worker, psychiatrists, psychologists, and there are also terrible professionals as well. Learn some stuff before posting garbage.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,871 times
Default Not exactly....

Quote:

Night and day.
This isn't correct at all, actually.

I am a clinical social worker in california right now with a Master's and I make 80k, and that is only with 3 years of experience. Also my graduate training was far from warm and fuzzy cliches, so please be more respectful.

Psych NP would be an excellent option if you hope to have a private practice AND prescribe medications. Yes you will likely end up making more money in the long run, but it all depends on how you would like to run your practice. Both are excellent options.

All in all they are both good choices, just depends on what you want your focus to be (you may end up doing a lot of med management as a psych NP.) You will make more as a Psych NP, of course. Right now LCSWs who are doing private practice tend to charge between $100-150/hr for private practice therapy. I am unsure of what Psych NPs would charge.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota