Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 09:09 PM

52 posts, read 166,716 times

Advertisements

Personal impression question for those of you who grew up in MN: is Scandinavian cultural heritage well preserved and cherished? Is MN a particularly good place for kids with Scandinavian blood to grow up knowing and feeling proud of their roots or has that link been obscured over several generations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 10:25 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
It's still around. I don't know about "cherished," but Scandinavian heritage is very visible. Sons of Norway is headquartered in Minneapolis, for example, and there's still a church that offers Norwegian language services. You can major in Scandinavian Studies at the University of Minnesota, and I'm assuming Scandinavian classes are readily available throughout the state. If you have kids you can send them to the (expensive, but fabulous) Concordia Language Villages; they offer summer camps focusing on many different languages and cultures, including those of Norway, Sweden, Denmark, and Finland. (Sons of Norway offers a cheaper language camp; maybe some of the other languages/countries do, too). You can buy lefse, kransekake, gjetost, and seasonally, lutefisk, at many grocery stores. There are a lot of Lutheran churches, too.

Minnesota offers an interesting look into an older Scandinavian culture, an Americanized version that is quite different from modern Scandinavia. But in general, no, it hasn't been obscured. Language has been lost, for the most part (although I did attend a public elementary school in the '80s that offered Norwegian), but the Scandinavian heritage of the state is still visible.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:54 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,804,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasirGirl View Post
Personal impression question for those of you who grew up in MN: is Scandinavian cultural heritage well preserved and cherished? Is MN a particularly good place for kids with Scandinavian blood to grow up knowing and feeling proud of their roots or has that link been obscured over several generations?
Not really,this is a mass culture, coast to coast.

Old 12-11-2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
Not really,this is a mass culture, coast to coast.
I agree that there is a "mass culture," to some extent, but having lived on both coasts and in between I have yet to live in another state that has as visible a remaining Scandinavian heritage as Minnesota (or, to be more accurate, the upper Midwest).

I wouldn't base a decision to move to Minnesota on that alone, though.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:39 AM

1,340 posts, read 2,804,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I agree that there is a "mass culture," to some extent, but having lived on both coasts and in between I have yet to live in another state that has as visible a remaining Scandinavian heritage as Minnesota (or, to be more accurate, the upper Midwest).

I wouldn't base a decision to move to Minnesota on that alone, though.
As have I, you could live 20 years in the Cities without having a clue about the areas "scan heritage" .

Old 12-12-2009, 08:57 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
Yes, Scandinavian heritage is cherished in parts of Minnesota. But over time, the language and traditions have been watered down. In the community where I grew up. Our Grandparents all spoke Swedish fluently. Our parents knew some phrases, and my generation knows only a few words.

Old 12-12-2009, 08:59 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,341,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
As have I, you could live 20 years in the Cities without having a clue about the areas "scan heritage" .
Depends on your age and what part of the cities you live in.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:47 AM

It's pretty obvious even if you're young and not at all interested in Scandinavian things; the newspapers have annual articles about local lutefisk factories, the standard chain grocery stores often carry lefse (and I'm betting the majority of Minnesotans know what it is is, even if they haven't tasted it), there are Lutheran churches all over the place (not just Scandinavian, I know, but a remnant of Scandinavian heritage), and you find far, far more people with Scandinavian last names in Minnesota than in most places.

If you're not paying any attention I suppose one wouldn't notice it, but if you look around and then compare it to other cities/states there are distinctive Scandinavian influences that you can find in MN (and that includes the Twin Cities, not just small rural towns) that you won't find in most other places. No one's going to beat you over the head with Scandinavian stuff, but it's pretty visible if you look around (and you don't have to look very hard), and even more so if you know enough to recognize what has Scandinavian roots. It's even more explicitely visible when you get out of the Twin Cities and go to the small towns with "velkommen" signs, or place like Alexandria with their big viking statue and the Kensington Rune Stone. .

I love the fact that traces of Scandinavian history is still in the state. It's evidence that some sense of regional identity still exists. It's now blended with layers newer immigrant cultures, and that mix helps to make Minnesota Minnesota.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:06 AM

987 posts, read 3,819,039 times
The Fargo Marathon has a lefse feed the night before. There's pasta too but there's always lefse. THen there's this in Mora, MN. So yep, there are traces like sweater culture, lutefisk, but you're not gonna get a mini Sweden here.

Old 12-12-2009, 05:11 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,678,729 times
Finland isn't Scandanavia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota