Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 09:22 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD Ryan View Post
Not really worried about finding a job right off the bat as money hasn't been an issue for some time.
Lucky you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 07:55 AM

128 posts, read 282,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD Ryan View Post
Not really worried about finding a job right off the bat as money hasn't been an issue for some time.

I do ask the question regarding the population and how they come across cause it's important to me, so I dont think it's such an odd question. Our country is full of generalization those in the South are considered to be very nice, approachable, friendly even to strangers, those up North are thought to be more in a hurry, driven, eager, greedy & rude and as u said have a dislike for many outsiders, these generalizations go on and on. Of course u will have your not so nice people but in large every city has it's overall feel.

I have moved around enough that I'm comfortable in the steps I need to make a smooth and stress free move. I have started visiting this site recently only cause I was directed here by others, to be honest I've found more of the economy based questions and answers to be full of hate, bitterness, anger etc "From Other States Forums" to the pt some of the respondents begin to direct the anger towards u cause u dont hold their same ideals about the way things are in an area.

Give u an ex. On another forum I asked about the Nursing jobs and opp's in that area, there was only 1 respondent who informed me that there was no such thing as a Nursing shortage in their world that they'd been in Nursing for over 30yrs, and some of their family who work as PT's were only finding part time work. It was followed by how I should go about moving and doing my home wrk and all and that I'd find it hard to find a job etc.
Well when I provided the respondent w/ an article from their own local paper written a couple weeks ago about the shortage and need for Nurses in the area, even w/ the local colleges pumping them out as well as many more moving in locally, I was met w/ immediate bitterness and of course down playing that article. U see if they have been in Nursing for that long odds are they haven't had to look for work to often so wouldn't really have anymore of an idea of what the job outlook or situation is than someone not from their town, except from the same areas I'm able to get it via news outlets.

I say all this cause I know every city has it's detractors I dont think there is a Utopia, and I guess I'd appreciate more if folks would simply answer the question asked vs giving their unsolicited life advice, we all aren't the same and everyone's financial and life situation is diff, heck even poor folks place more value on some things that wealthier individ's do.

I thank u for ur info.
Actually I thought Katiana made some good points in her post. Also from what I understood she used to be in public health and then went to work in a doctor's office, so she has changed at least once. But just b/c someone hasn't had to look for work doesn't mean they aren't aware of the job situation. Especially in this economy. I have worked in the same area for 17 years but my funding has disappeared. I've periodically checked job openings for years to get a feel for what it's like out there.

I moved here from Boston 19 years ago. Like I said, I've seen nice and not-so-nice people in both places. My personal opinion is that you take someone else's generalization about an area's people with a grain of salt. Each person's perception is unique and what you hope to find is probably different than what I am looking for . Also, you are only getting opinions from people on this board - and as far as I know, no one I know here in my area is on this board, at least not regularly. So you may not be getting opinions from people who are very similar to your interests - and either don't have time or don't know about this board.

As for weather, we had a very cold and snowy December. At one point we had almost 3 ft of snow on the ground and day after day of never getting above zero - without even factoring in the wind chill. Males outnumber females it seems in most places in MN, certainly in Rochester. It is a slower pace than MSP & certainly much slower than the east coast, but it is considered a large city (2007 estimates around 100,000). I think housing is cheaper here than in MSP but again very few nursing jobs right now

Old 01-25-2010, 08:38 PM

150 posts, read 405,597 times
I love the north country in Minnesota. The small towns have some of the nicest people and the best scenery anywhere. We live in North Central MN but love the Baudette area best. I'd love to move back up there, but also like where we are now. There isn't any place in MN that you don't live near a lake. There are smaller hospitals around here and up north that are always advertising for medical employment. You might want to check out "Minnesota Works" site: https://www.minnesotaworks.net/

Susie

Old 01-28-2010, 08:46 AM

228 posts, read 483,251 times
Get out a map and draw a line from Duluth going north to Ely. All of the area east of that (including Duluth and Ely) is absolutely the best part of Minnesota.

If I were to ever move back it would be the only area I would consider living. The rest of Minnesota looks pretty bland in comparison. Northeast Minnesota is absolutely gorgeous, and while it's significantly colder than even areas like the twin cities, it is well worth it if you are looking to move there. The north shore of Lake Superior is a very special place. Check out towns like Duluth, Two Harbors, or Grand Marais if you want to be right on the shore, and check out Ely if you want to be more isolated and remote.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:03 AM

150 posts, read 405,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspironmini View Post
Get out a map and draw a line from Duluth going north to Ely. All of the area east of that (including Duluth and Ely) is absolutely the best part of Minnesota.

If I were to ever move back it would be the only area I would consider living. The rest of Minnesota looks pretty bland in comparison. Northeast Minnesota is absolutely gorgeous, and while it's significantly colder than even areas like the twin cities, it is well worth it if you are looking to move there. The north shore of Lake Superior is a very special place. Check out towns like Duluth, Two Harbors, or Grand Marais if you want to be right on the shore, and check out Ely if you want to be more isolated and remote.
Ditto! Couldn't agree with you more! Just drive around the arrow head if you want to see what Heaven must be like! I love the Gooseberry Falls area.

Susie

Old 01-31-2010, 02:08 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspironmini View Post
Oh, I dunno. The area around Red Wing is very pretty, and I think the Brainerd Lakes area (especially, but not limited to) the Whitefish chain is also beautiful in its own way, especially if you have a boat to cruise around in.

And then there's Voyageur National Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota