Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2007, 12:38 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,583,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeb99 View Post
Well, I just came back from my little trip to Minnesota and I have to say it was everything I expected and more! I liked everything about the state. The people were very friendly and there was a lot to do. I visited many cities, including Mankato, Rochester, Fargo, St. Cloud, and Duluth. I think the Fargo/Moorhead area was probably my favorite. All the others were great too. I stopped in a little town called Fergus Falls, which was also really nice. I enjoyed everything about the state. It is a totally different atmosphere from here in the south. The people up there are much higher class and the state is a whole lot nicer than other parts of the country. I am already making my plans to move there ASAP!
blake, good call on Fargo/Moorhead. I live in St. Paul because I prefer an urban environment, but if I was to look elsewhere, Fargo/Moorhead would be my choice. The land is flat and almost treeless there (not how I pictured MN before I came here), but there is something about the openess and friendliness of the poeple there I haven't found elsewhere in MN. I used to travel all over MN on business and have been to most towns of any size, but F/M is is favorite (outside of the cities of Mpls and St Paul, of course!)

People will tell you that our taxes are high here, well, there's a reason MN always comes out on or near the top when it comes to education and healthcare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 02:44 PM

22 posts, read 209,463 times
as much as I don't like Minnesota, if you are dead-set on living in the Midwest Minnesota would be the best choice in my book. It's cold, but it's going to be cold no matter where you go up here & we really don't get as much snow as people think (at least not any more)... and as far as the mosquito thing goes, i don't even remember the last time i was bit by a mosquito! If you're going up north just make sure you have some bug repellant and some itch cream.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:18 PM

13 posts, read 39,961 times
After 18 years in the Twin Cities, I am moving south to TN. I loved my time here and am grateful for the many experiences I've had. It's just time for a new chapter in my life.

When we are not in winter, the other 3 seasons are wonderful. At its worst winter lasts 5 months. It was more affordable when I first moved here, now it can be very pricey. It's not always easy to get to know some people. They tend to stick to their families and friends they've known since grade school. If you are alone for the holidays and don't have family in town, if you mention that if asked, people tend to say "oh" rather than "why don't you join us". The Twin Cities does have a fairly good public transportation system, something that will be lacking where I'll be moving to.

Just my honest experience and $.02 and change.

Old 01-17-2007, 07:14 PM

433 posts, read 2,356,364 times
You have to tell Minnesotans that your Lutefisk is much better than theirs. Then they may accept the challenge and invite you over for Christmas dinner. Skip the wine and bring some good pickled herring or smoked whitefish.

You'll be sitting around the tv with all your new friends watching the Gophers lose in no time!

Old 01-22-2007, 08:08 PM

450 posts, read 1,905,673 times
Personally, I found it very difficult to meet people. Oh, people are nice, no problem there. And they're good-hearted -- they'll clean your driveway after a snowstorm or give your car a boost when you need it. But when it comes to finding friends to socialize with, it's tough. People tend to keep their circle of friends from childhood through college, and it can be tough for newcomers.

I think where you live helps too -- in the Twin Cities, the western suburbs seem to have more transplants, and it seems easier to meet people there. Getting out of the Twin Cities... places like St. Cloud, Duluth, and Rochester actually seem easier to meet people, at least from my experience.

Different from the rest of the Midwest? Yes. It's a blend of Scandinavian and Midwestern cultures -- to me, it has little in common with Kansas City or St. Louis. Just as Chicago has a unique culture, so does Minnesota. Some people love it, some hate it.

Housing is very nice -- many big lots, nice houses, plenty of choices. Neighborhoods often feel like being at the lake for the weekend. Beautiful -- but it can be an allergy nightmare for those of us with allergies. But if you don't... it's beautiful.

Old 01-29-2007, 02:30 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCTransplant View Post
Can't find a good pizza to save my life.... Pizza Hut and Dominoes are considered cuisine.
How about Green Mill?

Old 01-29-2007, 09:31 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,583,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
How about Green Mill?
IMHO, Green Mill's OK, but Fat Lorenzo's is best pizza in Mpls, while Savoy Inn is the best in St. Paul. Or for a gourmet experience (you can't compare it to other pizzas), Punch's rules!

Old 01-30-2007, 03:19 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
IMHO, Green Mill's OK, but Fat Lorenzo's is best pizza in Mpls, while Savoy Inn is the best in St. Paul. Or for a gourmet experience (you can't compare it to other pizzas), Punch's rules!
My taste's might be a little weird, but I tend to like Green Mill, Carbone's, and Rocky Rococo's in that order. Things like Domino's are okay in a pinch, but not something I normally consume willingly. :-) Although Cheetah Pizza in Eden Prairie was quite good when we lived there.

I also remember Shakey's Pizza fondly (the one in Minnetonka on Hwy 7 by Williston Road in particular), but those are 30-year-old memories which might not be accurate. We have one down here in Georgia, I guess. Worth a road trip someday! :-)

Last edited by rcsteiner; 01-30-2007 at 03:28 PM..

Old 02-01-2007, 10:28 AM

370 posts, read 903,267 times
We're looking to get out of Florida (who isn't?) and have a several friends up in MN. Any transplants from FL to MN interested in posting comments about the transition?

Thanks!

Old 02-01-2007, 12:06 PM

121 posts, read 663,082 times
Default I love UNO's

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
How about Green Mill?
I LOVE LOVE LOVE UNO's Pizza but the restaurant closed in Ridgedale a few years ago, maybe they are all closing>?? I don't know, I just LOVE their pizza so I was surprised the Redgedale location closed....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota