Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2010, 09:57 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thndrnsnow View Post
I have read the entire post..the good, the bad and the ugly. I still want to move to MN. Will most likely be moving there between now and Christmas. I understand it is cold in the winter and of course there is snow. I will be moving to the suburbs of the TC but don't kow where yet. I have heard that Eden Prairie, Eagan, or Apple Valley are the places to go. I will be working down town Minneapolis.

My biggest question is an all-wheel drive/4-wheel drive a necessity? I am in the market for a new car and will need to buy something in the next few weeks. I want to be prepared but at the same time don't want to spend an extra 5-10K for something that isn't a necessity.
No, AWD or 4WD are not necessary, front wheel drive is just fine for 99% of the time. If you NEED AWD/4WD chances are no one is getting around anywhere. Good tires help as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 07:46 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,659,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thndrnsnow View Post
I have read the entire post..the good, the bad and the ugly. I still want to move to MN. Will most likely be moving there between now and Christmas. I understand it is cold in the winter and of course there is snow. I will be moving to the suburbs of the TC but don't kow where yet. I have heard that Eden Prairie, Eagan, or Apple Valley are the places to go. I will be working down town Minneapolis.

My biggest question is an all-wheel drive/4-wheel drive a necessity? I am in the market for a new car and will need to buy something in the next few weeks. I want to be prepared but at the same time don't want to spend an extra 5-10K for something that isn't a necessity.
LOL, Ive been getting around just fine in my small Chevy 4banger for many years with no problem. So no, you don't need a 4-wheel drive unless you plan to go off roading or are in the business of snow plowing parking lots.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:15 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,168,828 times
Do you need one, well maybe not, do you want one?

I do plow snow for a living, but another reason to have a 4x4 truck, awd car or suv is when it does snow you can go where you wish when you wish. These eliminates you sitting at home looking out the window waiting for the plow to go by.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:44 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,656,542 times
The 2WD/4WD question is more accurately a question of how much rural driving you intend to be doing in the winter. If I spent my winters driving from Ely to Brainerd, I'd buy a 4WD without question. But the vast majority of my time is spent in the Mpls/St Paul metro area, where the streets are plowed overnight and my major concern is that the car doesn't get towed during a snow emergency.

Perhaps 1 or 2 days a year, I may wish for more "go" traction than a 2WD sedan can provide, but the rest of the year I'm happy to not have to haul around all that extra, heavy and expensive, mechanical gadgetry on my car.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:32 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times
I've found that the dirt road that I live on in rural Chisago Co gets plowed much quicker than any of the several locations I lived at in South Minneapolis.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:39 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,675,473 times
I lived in Duluth. For 2 winters. With a very light SUV and 6 year old, bald as a baby's behind tires. In a city with wind, rain, ice, sleet, snow and worst of all hills! And I was completely fine.

I feel weird when people speak of "winter tires" WT?

Old 09-12-2012, 01:37 PM

30 posts, read 45,818 times
It's funny how some people love Minneapolis and some can't wait to leave. I live in Seattle, and I am praying my wife gets the job she isvinterviwung for soon in the Minneapolis area. Looking at homes for sale online, it looks like houses there are much nicer for the money than here. Also, the traffic here really sucks, and since Seattle has the fourth worst trafficking America and Minneapolis is #20, I expect to see much h less traffic jams there than I experience here. Also, the weather is wimpy here. Dry as a bone all summer, almost no snow, no thunder or lightning, and almostno storms. Give me lots of snow please. I can do without mosquitoes and hot, humid summers though.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:17 PM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,101 times
I honestly love living in Minnesota. I've lived in several different states and Minnesota is my favorite. It's beautiful here. The weather is absolutely perfect for my tastes. There is a massive variety of things to do, places to eat and jobs to have. The people are, for the most part, very friendly.

What I like the absolute least about Minnesota is -- and this is my opinion and my experience and that of many people I know -- that it can be very intolerant towards people whose beliefs aren't in line with the very outspoken folks. I should clarify that I live in Minneapolis and am only referring to Minneapolis here. (And, Minneapolis, as much as the people want to think it is, is NOT representative of the whole state.) Minneapolis is overflowing with highly and strongly outspoken and opinionated people who won't hesitate to chop you off at the knees if you don't agree with them. If you don't vote Yes or No on a matter and they do, prepare to be berated. It's hypocritical. They demand everyone accept their opinions and beliefs and call you a hate crime low-life and intolerant, but they refuse to give the same respect and courtesy towards those whose opinions and beliefs they don't like.

I keep my mouth shut and never bring these heated topics up but I am constantly asked what I think or how I'll vote. If I don't answer the question, I get pummeled with a speech as to what I should do and why. If I tell them how I feel (and I always do so respectfully and patiently), I get pummeled and berated for being "intolerant and filled with hate" and that "the world would be better off without people like you in it!" My final response is usually, "Which one of us is responding with intolerance and hate right now?" Then I walk away.

I love Minnesota but living in Minneapolis can get VERY DIFFICULT, especially during election seasons.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:27 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,868,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
I honestly love living in Minnesota. I've lived in several different states and Minnesota is my favorite. It's beautiful here. The weather is absolutely perfect for my tastes. There is a massive variety of things to do, places to eat and jobs to have. The people are, for the most part, very friendly.

What I like the absolute least about Minnesota is -- and this is my opinion and my experience and that of many people I know -- that it can be very intolerant towards people whose beliefs aren't in line with the very outspoken folks. I should clarify that I live in Minneapolis and am only referring to Minneapolis here. (And, Minneapolis, as much as the people want to think it is, is NOT representative of the whole state.) Minneapolis is overflowing with highly and strongly outspoken and opinionated people who won't hesitate to chop you off at the knees if you don't agree with them. If you don't vote Yes or No on a matter and they do, prepare to be berated. It's hypocritical. They demand everyone accept their opinions and beliefs and call you a hate crime low-life and intolerant, but they refuse to give the same respect and courtesy towards those whose opinions and beliefs they don't like.

I keep my mouth shut and never bring these heated topics up but I am constantly asked what I think or how I'll vote. If I don't answer the question, I get pummeled with a speech as to what I should do and why. If I tell them how I feel (and I always do so respectfully and patiently), I get pummeled and berated for being "intolerant and filled with hate" and that "the world would be better off without people like you in it!" My final response is usually, "Which one of us is responding with intolerance and hate right now?" Then I walk away.

I love Minnesota but living in Minneapolis can get VERY DIFFICULT, especially during election seasons.
Ha! Living anywhere can be diffcult in an election season, this one may beat the record for nasty.
I don't have anything to add to the discussion thread but it caught my eye this early morning and gave me the giggles. Outspoken, pummeled, or berating are not "normally" associated with the "Minnesota Nice" attitude which is alive and well in the northern part of the state.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:44 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,675,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionosphere View Post
It's funny how some people love Minneapolis and some can't wait to leave. I live in Seattle, and I am praying my wife gets the job she isvinterviwung for soon in the Minneapolis area. Looking at homes for sale online, it looks like houses there are much nicer for the money than here. Also, the traffic here really sucks, and since Seattle has the fourth worst trafficking America and Minneapolis is #20, I expect to see much h less traffic jams there than I experience here. Also, the weather is wimpy here. Dry as a bone all summer, almost no snow, no thunder or lightning, and almostno storms. Give me lots of snow please. I can do without mosquitoes and hot, humid summers though.

I'd be careful with this. I wouldn't pay too much attention to that list. The traffic here is god-awful. Even when it's not commute time, it's still awful because there aren't enough lanes.

The other day, I was going somewhere on a Saturday at about 11 am and there wasn't traffic, but this jamm-packed clogged freeway going about 55 MPH (in a 70). I couldn't understand it.

I guess that's what happens when a Metro grows from about 2 million to 3.5 in 20 yrs. Great planning met council!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota