Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 09:00 AM

27 posts, read 69,657 times

Advertisements

@nash2mem2007 Thanks for this details. How far is The regional medical center in downtown Memphis (The Med) from olive branch? I like to leave as near as my work place and in good school district. I heard that apartments in Hornlake are good but according to schoolrating sites, schools in that area are not as great as Desoto Central and others (e.g. olive branch, Hernando). Is that true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 10:14 AM

I also like to know that whether southaven and other suburbs of MS is more safer than suburbs of TN e.g. Bartlett, Germantown?

Old 12-14-2010, 02:51 PM

3 posts, read 6,164 times
We moved here seven years ago for my husband's residency. He did a four year residency and then did a fellowship here (which he finishes in June). We currently live in Cordova, but plan to move to Lakeland this summer. I've heard the MS area is nice, but we prefer the Memphis suburbs. Germantown is really nice, but expensive. The schools are great there! The housing is cheaper in Cordova (that's why we bought here first and didn't have kids at the time), but the schools are Memphis City Schools. County schools are better. We are moving to Lakeland so our daughter can go to Lakeland Elementary, it's a great school. Bartlett also has some good schools too, you just have to be careful. I would live in Arlington (it's a further commute), Lakeland, parts of Bartlett, Germantown, or Collierville. The key for a shorter commute is making sure you live close to the interstate. Traffic isn't bad, especially the times you'll be going to work. My husband says the commute isn't bad. We personally like living out east. I'd he happy to answer any other questions.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:55 PM

3 posts, read 6,164 times
One other thing I forgot to mention that is good about living in the Memphis area, Tennessee doesn't have a state income and Mississippi does.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:35 PM

1,098 posts, read 3,108,704 times
Germantown and Bartlett are both safe. Pretty much all of DeSoto County is safe. From the Med downtown, Bartlett and Germantown are probably 25, maybe 30 minutes depending on traffic and where in these communities you live. Probably the eastern end of Germantown and Collierville are more like 40 minutes door to door.

Going south into DeSoto County along I-55 from downtown, it's a straight shot down the interstate, probably 15 minutes to the state line and then another 5 minutes into Southaven which is mainly east of the interstate, and then past Southaven another 8 minutes to Hernando.

I would say these areas are more or less equal except for Germantown which is wealthier overall. It's also a bit stifling if you ask me, too planned looking or something, but very nice nevertheless. In my personal opinion, Southaven is very convenient, safe, affordable, growing and has good DeSoto Central schools. Neighborhing Hernando is more charming because it has a historic section in addition to all the new growth and is situated more on the outskirts of the city.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixjones View Post
We moved here seven years ago for my husband's residency. He did a four year residency and then did a fellowship here (which he finishes in June). We currently live in Cordova, but plan to move to Lakeland this summer. I've heard the MS area is nice, but we prefer the Memphis suburbs. Germantown is really nice, but expensive. The schools are great there! The housing is cheaper in Cordova (that's why we bought here first and didn't have kids at the time), but the schools are Memphis City Schools. County schools are better. We are moving to Lakeland so our daughter can go to Lakeland Elementary, it's a great school. Bartlett also has some good schools too, you just have to be careful. I would live in Arlington (it's a further commute), Lakeland, parts of Bartlett, Germantown, or Collierville. The key for a shorter commute is making sure you live close to the interstate. Traffic isn't bad, especially the times you'll be going to work. My husband says the commute isn't bad. We personally like living out east. I'd he happy to answer any other questions.
Can you suggest me some good apartment complexes in Germantown, Bartlett, lakeland ect. with easy commute to downtown hospitals? Commute around 30 minutes will be fine for me.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:59 PM

43 posts, read 110,041 times
Memphis surburbs in MS such as Southaven, Olive Branch, Horn Lake, and Hernando are all great areas with good schools.

If you are doing your residency in Memphis, I suggest for you to stay in TN because I think TN surburbs rank better along with no state income tax.

Check out Bartlett, Germantown, and Collierville. I would personally choose Germantown because it's close to everything with short commute to Memphis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi