Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 08:55 AM

314 posts, read 1,105,361 times

Advertisements

[quote=annie_himself;16737755]This has to be one of the most ignorant posts on an internet forum that I have ever read. First of all, I have never been to Memphis or Tennessee for that matter but I know Memphis is no more dangerous than any city in America. And why do you portray the easy-going white people to be the only victims in Memphis? Whitetopia is the only safe place in the city? And also, as being a black male from the inner city of Baton Rouge (highest per capita murder rate in the country), I must be a killer waiting to prowl on the rich white people on Highland Rd. Instead I am on this forum, as well as 3 others interested in improving my city and the residents that live there.

You've admit you have never been to Memphis, but you tell a potential visitor to disregard a warning for his safety because YOU take exception to the fact that the crime threat was from blacks? Nobody asked what you were doing in your city- the question referenced Memphis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 05:24 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoTeen View Post
I'm not actually a teen, but about to graduate college in the Bay Area. I grew up in a small town 35 miles up the coast from downtown San Diego. This job offer sounds good, but I'm worried about moving to Mississippi. I've never been to the south and I feel that it'll be to much of a difference to over come. I heard that people there don't really like people from Southern California. I also look and talk like a complete SoCal native, so hopefully that won't be a problem.
Go places you never thought you'd go.
Do things you never thought you'd do.
Wait until you're 30, then marry someone who likes to work in the yard

We'll like you just fine, Kid. Even if you do sound a little funny

Old 02-16-2011, 09:41 PM

22 posts, read 50,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
This has to be one of the most ignorant posts on an internet forum that I have ever read. First of all, I have never been to Memphis or Tennessee for that matter but I know Memphis is no more dangerous than any city in America. And why do you portray the easy-going white people to be the only victims in Memphis? Whitetopia is the only safe place in the city? And also, as being a black male from the inner city of Baton Rouge (highest per capita murder rate in the country), I must be a killer waiting to prowl on the rich white people on Highland Rd. Instead I am on this forum, as well as 3 others interested in improving my city and the residents that live there.

Honestly man, you will probably enjoy the change of scenery, food, great music, and authentic southern culture in Memphis. I would visit the city for a week or two and then you can make a better judgment on moving so far east.
You are WRONG. Memphis IS dangerous. It can be seen from the time you enter Shelby County on I-40. There, you will see large numbers of police cars lining the freeway - sort of a welcoming committe letting you know that you have entered a war zone. I remember the first time I visited Memphis, as student at Ole Miss from NC. As we entered the city, I thought that the shot gun/shot out old run down apartment buildings were just part of a "bad area." We locked our car doors and continued to drive. And it never got better. We didn't even feel safe in the much talked about blues music/tourist district. Memphis is a victim of its own hostory: white flight and a corrupt city government and mostly abject poverty and years and years of race related predjudice. Much like Richmond, VA and Durham, NC. I would NEVER live in that area. Don't waste your time.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:55 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCurbanNative View Post
You are WRONG. Memphis IS dangerous. It can be seen from the time you enter Shelby County on I-40. There, you will see large numbers of police cars lining the freeway - sort of a welcoming committe letting you know that you have entered a war zone. I remember the first time I visited Memphis, as student at Ole Miss from NC. As we entered the city, I thought that the shot gun/shot out old run down apartment buildings were just part of a "bad area." We locked our car doors and continued to drive. And it never got better. We didn't even feel safe in the much talked about blues music/tourist district. Memphis is a victim of its own hostory: white flight and a corrupt city government and mostly abject poverty and years and years of race related predjudice. Much like Richmond, VA and Durham, NC. I would NEVER live in that area. Don't waste your time.
Nah. All those police cars are common in lots of places. Nashville has the same thing.

I go to and through Memphis all the time. We go to Redbirds baseball games, which are downtown in a new stadium and generally stay at the Piedmont Hotel.
The Official Site of Minor League Baseball | Memphis Redbirds Homepage
And we always go to Memphis in May celebration:
Memphis In May International Festival | April 29, 2011 - May 28, 2011

I wouldn't hesitate to walk Beale St and enjoy the beer, music and people.

But there is also some truth in what you say about white flight and black corruption. Memphis is very high (perhaps 1st) on the list of foreclosures by percent of the population, which is indicative of how many people have lied to get their application approved.
And it is not improving.
As long as Memphis is governed by people who insist on counting black heads and white heads (and it is) it will remain a city whose future is merely in its past.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:03 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,090,629 times
You are young. Why not try something that may broaden your perspectives while you can do it? If you were my son(?) I would say ask questions about good areas to live and that may be the Mississippi suburbs. Follow local advice about where to shop, dine, and seek entertainment. I would say that about any city but Memphis does have some crime stats that require awareness. But like any place people do live there safely and happily. Get informed--and become acclimated. Your being from So. Cal. should have nothing to do with your decision. Shockingly--the South has many transplants. And then after you spend some time come back here and tell us what you experienced. It would be helpful to others in the same boat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi